Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
alnoodle
Registered Users
seller

Dairy free

Ok not sure if this is the right place to put this... but I need ideas for dairy free foods. My daughter LOVES cheese... but looking like a milk allergy or pretty bad intolerance. Don't have much money... and the dairy free seems to be 5x the price as anything else! There has to be a place I can buy this stuff at a halfway reasonable price... even if I have to buy bulk!

Advertisement

Amanda married to Jamie. Mother of three little boogers; Lulu, Brooke, and Rosie
alnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dairy free

GL finding it cheap and gulp even getting coupons. You need to visit kidswithfoodallergies . org. You will find everything you need there. Becuase they have a foods section with recipes also. My daughter so far is allergic to milk, wheat, soy, tomato, egg & ana to banana with reactions to things still we can't pinpoint yet. Hugs! At least with dairy you can still shop snacks at the reg grocery store. Things like teddy grahms, wheat thins are dairy-free. we have to do all special stores & it's so expensive 3.59 for 12 cookies gah.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housefullofgirls View Post
GL finding it cheap and gulp even getting coupons. You need to visit kidswithfoodallergies . org. You will find everything you need there. Becuase they have a foods section with recipes also. My daughter so far is allergic to milk, wheat, soy, tomato, egg & ana to banana with reactions to things still we can't pinpoint yet. Hugs! At least with dairy you can still shop snacks at the reg grocery store. Things like teddy grahms, wheat thins are dairy-free. we have to do all special stores & it's so expensive 3.59 for 12 cookies gah.
I feel your pain! I have two girls that are gluten free, and shopping for them is crazy! Their breadmix (that you add ingredients to, and bake yourself) is $5 and it makes a small loaf of bread. And goodness forbid you want something convient, because a box of chicken nuggets that has maybe 10 nuggets in it cost almost $6. So I make two of most meals--for example if we are having spaghetti I make a GF pot for the girls and a gluten pot for us. People think that's crazy (and it is inconvient!!!) and ask us why don't we all eat GF....um, because we can't afford it!

To the OP, there's not a ton of advice I can give you. Sorry, it sucks, I know. You may check Mambo Sprouts, sometimes they have coupons you may be able to use. Try making friends at the healthfood store--I've gotten them to order stuff specifically for me and they're usually pretty willing to help. Ask if they have ideas/suggestions for you. Since it is so expensive, I would save the special food for the one who needs it, and make the others eat regular. I would try to find snacks that you LO will love that is cheaper and natually dairy free. That will save you a ton. Shop around because it's crazy how much that kind of specialty stuff can vary from store to store and online. You also may be able to find a store with a rewards card system, the one we shop at gives you $5 off for every $200 you spend and it adds up really fast! Good luck Mama!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
pharmmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You do have some options to help decrease cost. My Sam's Club has 3 packs of refrigerated soy milk for about $2.50, which is less than the cost of ONE at Walmart. We had to take out soy recently though, and I haven't found anything else that cheap. A friend told me that Aldi's has less expensive almond milk, but I haven't had a chance to look yet. I started making oat milk and will be trying to make almond milk soon. I figure I'm pretty lucky that DS will eat/drink just about anything, but even if your DS won't drink anything but the commercial stuff, you can use the much cheaper homemade stuff for baking/cooking. Try http://www.foodallergymama.com/ for good dairy free recipes (also egg/nut free because of her son's severe allergies). I like her recipes because they don't use weird ingredients like a lot of cookbooks do.
Pharmacist, wife to a nerdy chemist, and proud mama to Leta (12/2006), Derek (4/2009) and Viola (7/2012). Now if only I could figure out a way to quit my job and still pay my student loans all would be well with the world.
pharmmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I feel your pain! I have two girls that are gluten free, and shopping for them is crazy! Their breadmix (that you add ingredients to, and bake yourself) is $5 and it makes a small loaf of bread. And goodness forbid you want something convient, because a box of chicken nuggets that has maybe 10 nuggets in it cost almost $6. So I make two of most meals--for example if we are having spaghetti I make a GF pot for the girls and a gluten pot for us. People think that's crazy (and it is inconvient!!!) and ask us why don't we all eat GF....um, because we can't afford it!

To the OP, there's not a ton of advice I can give you. Sorry, it sucks, I know. You may check Mambo Sprouts, sometimes they have coupons you may be able to use. Try making friends at the healthfood store--I've gotten them to order stuff specifically for me and they're usually pretty willing to help. Ask if they have ideas/suggestions for you. Since it is so expensive, I would save the special food for the one who needs it, and make the others eat regular. I would try to find snacks that you LO will love that is cheaper and natually dairy free. That will save you a ton. Shop around because it's crazy how much that kind of specialty stuff can vary from store to store and online. You also may be able to find a store with a rewards card system, the one we shop at gives you $5 off for every $200 you spend and it adds up really fast! Good luck Mama!

Yay another momma like me It is tough becuase alot of GF has diary or soy So the options are slim. I sorta do what you do I cook for her & I special & then normal for the rest of the family. I can't cook all of us on the diet becuase it is so limiting & the other 3 need brain protein & yes it is expensive. Also it tastes so wierd so my other kids won't eat it
Old 05-31-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
TPLmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd look into the Paleo diet & change your idea of "food" instead of trying to replace everything with a dairy free substitute. YKWIM?

You could also look into the GAPS diet & potentially heal your DC of the allergy.

ETA: Google "Paleo Parents", I came across their blog last night looking for grain free granola. They seem to have a very family-friendly, easy to navigate site.

Last edited by TPLmommy; 05-31-2012 at 12:13 AM.
TPLmommy is offline   Reply With Quote