View Poll Results: Should I let my 4 year old daughter ride the bus?
You're wacky - let the girl ride the bus! 21 12.50%
It's okay mama, driving her to school is acceptable 147 87.50%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #91
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Poll: Am I a terrible, mean mother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
In the district I teach in...if the kids step one toe out of line on the bus, they are banned for awhile, and a second offense gets them banned for the year. Kids all have assigned seats with their names over them. We don't play around with bus safety. The bus is a privilege, not a right.
Yep, same with both schools they have been in in 2 different states.

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #92
He*Is*My*Life
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would drive my son as long as I could to school. We are not that far yet but I will make everything possible to be able to
He*Is*My*Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #93
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we don't really have a bus option. the only kids who are bussed are in one of the following categories:

1. Rural kids who can't walk or be dropped off easily.
2. Head-start, SN kids who need bigger transport.
3. Kids who are bussed from one side of town to the other side of town (from one elementary school to the other elementary school) because they have siblings at the other school. They split our elementary into K-2 and 3-6 here. Parents still have to pic up their kids at the second school.

I probably won't take advantage of #3, even though my kids will be split for 2+ years since the K-2 school is farther from our house than the 3-6 and I would want my older kid to ride the bus to meet up with my younger. I guess maybe I'd consider it, since it's really only a difference of a mile, but I dunno. It seems kind of pointless since I have to drive anyhow.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #94
khbordelon
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS is starting Kindergarten in the Fall too and his school is also 10 minutes away and Ior DH will drive him to school! There is nothing wacky about trying to enjoy every minute of this new adventure in your daughter's life! She is barely 5! She will have plenty of time when she is older to take the bus on her own and more confidence in doing it then! Go with your mama instinct. She is YOUR baby and nobody else's!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #95
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
In the district I teach in...if the kids step one toe out of line on the bus, they are banned for awhile, and a second offense gets them banned for the year. Kids all have assigned seats with their names over them. We don't play around with bus safety. The bus is a privilege, not a right.
I might consider the bus in your district if I had to. They should be expected to behave.

I wouldn't start sending them on the bus at 4 going on 5. That is a personal decision and being called over protective won't change it.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #96
Zanne
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic View Post
. My friend's 5 year old got off at the wrong stop once with a sub driver, and no one knew.
This happened to a friend of mine too during the 1st week of school. So scary.

Dropping of your daughters is definetely not crazy. We dropped off DS, and I plan to do the same next year. We've worked on him knowing our address and phone number in case of an emergency, but I'm surprised how many of the kids in his kindergarten class don't know theirs that do ride the bus.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #97
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanne View Post
This happened to a friend of mine too during the 1st week of school. So scary.

Dropping of your daughters is definetely not crazy. We dropped off DS, and I plan to do the same next year. We've worked on him knowing our address and phone number in case of an emergency, but I'm surprised how many of the kids in his kindergarten class don't know theirs that do ride the bus.
Our kids learn their address and phone numbers in preschool. It should be the parents' responsibility to teach them before they go to K.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #98
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

I could never send my 4yo on a bus! that's nuts to me, here you have to be 5 by sept 1 to start kindy and even then I don't think I could send my kiddo on a bus. I didn't ride a bus until middle school I think so maybe that has something to do with my feelings on the topic.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #99
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
You are really close to me! I wish we would have had better luck! I was in the principal's office more times than you could count, and it didn't do any good. It was if they didn't care. They would "talk" to the the kid bullying and everything would continue the same. My son was punched, kicked, choked and lots of things sexual in nature.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #100
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivhop98 View Post
You are really close to me! I wish we would have had better luck! I was in the principal's office more times than you could count, and it didn't do any good. It was if they didn't care. They would "talk" to the the kid bullying and everything would continue the same. My son was punched, kicked, choked and lots of things sexual in nature.
That is ridiculous. I thought all schools had an anti bully rule.