Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelino
My nephew is 3 1/2 and has walked on his toes since he could walk. He can walk flat foot, but doesn't normally. He has mitochondrial disease, as a result has mild autism, which they associate the tiptoeing with...which is new to me! I knew a few kids growing that did that until at least middle school! I think they eventually just outgrew it, as I know one didn't wear a brace and just made a mental effort as an older kid to quit.
Walking on toes in conjunction with other symptoms of autism is abnormal. In the absence of other symptoms toe walking is developmentally appropriate to age 3. Then it should be looked at because there are many many others reasons for it. (tight achilles etc)

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We found out that walking on the toes could be the sign of a teethered cord too. I would get her checked.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When does toe-walking become a concern?

Get her checked out. She's probably been doing it so long that the tendons are tight.

I saw on a program one time that Maria Carey walks on her toes when she's not wearing shoes.... she's worn stilleto's for so long that her calf muscles and Achilles tendon are shortened and tight.

I'd definitely take her to a pediatrician and start physical therapy if needed.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Yes yes yes

They already checked DD's ankles for her toe walking. The therapist said her son's ankles didn't get fixed until he was 4, but it was so much better. And he was jumping the day after the surgery.

Very common.
Very common for there to be a lack of knowledge for it too.

If she didn't specifically say it hurt, I might not be so adamant, but if she needs that tendon moved, you're better doing it now rather than later.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:

Also, she hates wearing shoes. She takes them off as soon as she gets in the door. And usually wears her (tiny) heeled princess dress-up shoes. She's asked me many times for heels like I wear. I thought it was a girly thing, but maybe it's a comfort thing? I will NOT be buying her heels, though. LOL

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody

Walking on toes in conjunction with other symptoms of autism is abnormal. In the absence of other symptoms toe walking is developmentally appropriate to age 3. Then it should be looked at because there are many many others reasons for it. (tight achilles etc)
I don't know if I agree with this. I don't know as a doctor, but I do know they ask us the autism spectrum questions repeatedly because she walks on her toes.

I've heard that it is a very high link due to sensory input. My DD passed her sensory eval with no issues, but they did order one because it's fairly common.

Anyways, since it's pain related, I tend to think it might be more medical. Might be a tightening from always walking that way, but some kids need reattachment because their tendon is short.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely ask for a pediatric orthopedic surgeon referral.

For DD, they took x-rays from her hips down. That way, they could see if there were any bone abnormalities in the hip area causing it. Then, the doc put her in articulated AFOs so if it was habit or she needed more stretching to the tendons, it would take care of it. And, we did PT weekly for about 18 months. She is fine now. The doc said he never had to do surgery on anyone that started working on it before age 4.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 05-30-2012 at 06:53 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote