Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
irishmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Make-up.... What age

At what age will you let your DDs wear tasteful make-up out of the house? Trying to settle a debate in my head about this. That's all

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: Make-up.... What age

We have a long way to go. But, I would suspect somewhere around 14-16.

She has play makeup that she wears now and again (at age 7) and she wears stage makeup for recitals. Fortunately, she attends a private school that does not allow makeup until the end of 8th grade - and even then only very very minimal.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
flintgirl
Registered Users

My Mood:
Maybe aroynd 14 or 15. I think that will be something I won't really know until she gets older.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would say it depends on the kiddo and the makeup 8th grade seems pretty reasonable to me as a guideline, but 14-16 would NOT have been okay for me as a child. I turned 14 my freshman year of high school so to say I couldn't wear makeup until I was 14-16 would have been somewhere between Fresh-Junior year of high school. I would have been the laughing stock of my peers if it actually stuck, LOL! Not that you should base decisions on peers, but I do think it plays a little bit of a role.

Is she responsible? Can she apply it "tastefully"? What grade is she in? Is it worth the argument if there will be one about it? Is it color makeup or clear mascara and sparkle lip gloss?
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
this_mel_rocks
Registered Users
seller

My DD is 13 and has been wearing make-up since she was 12. I approve all products so they are all tasteful. She does have some dark shadows but she applies them correctly so they look nice.
this_mel_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
irishmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

She's going into 8th grade and is 13. She walked into the house today after her friend did her make-up. Mind you her friend is the daughter of their church youth group leader but I was shocked that she even had it on. I see girls come out of school in the 6th grade that look like they're on their way to their "evening job" because they wear so much badly applied heavy makeup. I know many of the girls in her class do wear it and she can apply it tastefully but I don't think it's necessary. Her grandma bought her a bunch of colored make-up for Christmas but it's totally different giving it to a 5yo to play with and a 13 yo. I just don't think I, I mean she's, ready to wear it.
This is DD. Don't mind the pic quality, we we're in indian caverns when this was taken.
Attachment 106952

Last edited by irishmama2; 12-11-2012 at 09:33 AM.
irishmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Frizabeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would think anywhere from13-15. I remember girls wearing it in 7th grade. I didn't till maybe 9th grade but that was more me. Most of my friends moms took them to the Clinque counter and had the lady show them how to put it on and what colors looked right. I dont know if this is common every where but it seemed like every girl I know in my age group had that Clinque trip. Maybe it was a right of passage thing?? Their make up is pretty subdued too so that might have had something to do with it too.
Frizabeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's up to you. I don't wear makeup and I'm 26. I think it plays too much into trying to have the perfect body or perfect body image.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
bluemoonbutterfly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have told my oldest that when she turns 13, I will take her to a professional so that she can learn the proper way to apply makeup. DD1 has a wonderful complexion and I just don't see the sense of covering it up with makeup. I understand where she is coming from wanting to wear makeup. I remember in school wanting to feel more grown up and fit it with others. It got to the point though that not only did I not like the time it took to apply, but how oily it made my face feel.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I was allowed to wear it at age 13. Did I actually wear it? Not really. I did maybe a few times a year. I was pushed into it by my mom. I would have happily lived in ignorance about that and shaving for a while longer.
dncegrl is offline   Reply With Quote