Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Latex free mamas, or those with latex free kids

I need help so I just don't panic here...
My latex allergy is getting worse apparently, as Monday I got a rash from my bra strap, which I had never been sensitive to before, and I also reacted to my underwear.
To fix this I ordered new nursing bras from Leading Lady (latex free) and went and bought some new underwear from Hanes where the elastic is 100% covered. It does contain 5% spandex, but I am wearing it now and it hasn't caused any rash... I can't afford $20+/pair for latex free underwear (if you know of cheap latex free panties, please let me know!).

The issue is my DH and DDs. DD1 shows no sensitivity and so I have bought her normal panties, and my husband has boxers with the elastic around the top. I think touching this may be part of what is increasing my sensitivity... I know they make boxers where it is covered and plan to get them for DH. Do they make kids underwear where the elastic is covered? This is important not just for me touching them in the laundry, but also because DD2 IS showing sensitivity She is going to be 3 months old and already she has gotten a rash on her head from a headband (with upon inspection was exposed elastic that looked like lace STUPID MOMMY! ) and on her legs from outfits with elastic exposed on the legs and now last night I put her in a disposable we had sitting around, not thinking, and OF COURSE they have elastic and she got a rash around her legs. (Total duh moment, I already realized she was sensitive and was keep elastic away from her, I just totally forgot about disposables having elastic) How am I ever going to find underwear for her? And every outfit it going to have to be checked for exposed elastic.

I am totally trying not to have a panic attack here.

Advertisement

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Re: Latex free mamas, or those with latex free kids

I didn't even know elastic had latex in it! I'm very allergic, but I swell instead of rash. I guess I'm lucky we already buy underwear on etsy, maybe check it out? Ours are all covered elastic. There is a price range, but we usually spend fifteen plus shipping for three pairs of kids undies. Latex allergies are incredibly annoying, it's one if those allergies that just gets worse with time. I completely feel your panic...i was so worried my kids would get it, but we ended up lucky there.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Most elastic is totally latex, and up until now MOST of it didn't bother me unless I was handling it directly (I sew, so I have had to buy latex free elastic online for a while now). I got out of the shower Monday and realized the shaped of my bra strap was still on me in rash form >_< There are latex free elastics, but the only way to find out is if it is labelled or if you call the manufacturer. And most manufacturers I call don't even know It is so frustrating!!

Thanks for the tip on Etsy... I might be able to make ours if someone there is already making it. Just have to find a pattern and time (HA!).

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
tazzae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hanna Andersson girls underwear have covered elastic. They are very spendy but great quality--dd has some that are several years old and still look/work great. I've heard you can call their outlet stores and have them ship to you (to get them cheaper).

ETA: This Mothering thread has links to free patterns. One for panties without elastic.

Last edited by tazzae; 05-30-2012 at 03:05 PM.
tazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hanes makes girls undies with the covered elastic. We have a bunch here.

mom to 1 little guy (12/09) & 3 big girls ('02, '99 & '94)
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks mamas I appreciate it.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
rylan'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm wondering if my ds is developing an allergy. For the past couple days he has been waking with hives on his torso and some on his bum. He is 6. Also around his thighs. He wears pull ups to bed. We switched a couple weeks ago to pampers brand from huggies. I wonder. They always settle down in the morning. Today Afterschool he changed his undies into a brand new pair and got a few hives on his tummy

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hmmm, could be latex or something else. Not sure if hives are a common reaction (I know swelling, redness, itching, burning...) I'd get him to an allergist though, latex allergy isn't something to mess with.
I'm going to be making an appt with an allergist shortly myself so we can get a little more informed so I am not just making panicked decisions here and getting rid of a ton of stuff that might be okay.