Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Angel89411
Banned

Really??

Ds1 goes to a nut free school. They are very specific about snacks sent in. DH and I always read carefully to make sure the stuff we send is safe. People sent in treats today and I saw the bag DS1 brought home. 2 peanut butter cups. He doesn't have an allergy but there are kids who do. It really isn't a big deal to find something without nuts. The school is actually thinking of sending an approved snacks list out because too many parents aren't paying attention.

Advertisement

Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Wow. Somebody really wasn't on the ball there...
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Really??

story of my life

DS has a potentially deadly peanut allergy. His school went nut free after his summer teacher did a bird feeder craft with PB (she was going to have him just sit and watch - double ), PARENTS STILL send PB w/ their kids and in holiday/gift bags
Old 12-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandj
story of my life

DS has a potentially deadly peanut allergy. His school went nut free after his summer teacher did a bird feeder craft with PB (she was going to have him just sit and watch - double ), PARENTS STILL send PB w/ their kids and in holiday/gift bags
It's kids like yours I worry about. I used to have mixed feelings until I asked myself "what if it were my child?". He can live without nut products for the school day. I think we should all look out for other kids more.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Some people are just oblivious and ignorant of the consequences. I'm not giving those oblivious parents an excuse, because peanut butter cups are pretty obvious. However, it takes just an extra amount of attention to know what nut shouldn't be sent to school. Peanuts are obvious. Tree nuts take a little more thought. I had to think twice about sending pesto pasta in DD's lunch because pine nuts would be allergic.
Shimpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Ugh. My dd's preschool is nut free. They just had a cookies and caroling event that parents provided the goodies for. If you brought homemade stuff in you had to list the ingredients next to your item. DD and DH got brownies, dh took a bite of his and dd took a bite of hers next thing I hear is DO NOT CHEW IT, SPIT IT OUT RIGHT NOW!! The brownies had walnuts in them. The ingredient list said: brownie mix, water, eggs.

It's things like that that really concern me. We thought it was safe in a safe place.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have sun butter for school sandwiches only because of the nut rule. I would assume everyone would do that.

Though now that I think about it we did that peanut butter birdfeeder in an afterschool gathering.... that is interesting.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
We have sun butter for school sandwiches only because of the nut rule. I would assume everyone would do that.

Though now that I think about it we did that peanut butter birdfeeder in an afterschool gathering.... that is interesting.
Some people think not their kid, not their problem. But especially if the school is nut free you shouldn't be bringing that stuff...
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My child doesn't have a peanut allergy, but she is allergic to latex. Last year, she comes home with a balloon the teacher gave her, and she was blowing it up!!! Needless to say, her whole face turned very blotchy red, itchy, and her tongue got fat. They knew she was allergic to latex, and the school actually has signs on the doors saying, "no latex balloons allowed in this school" and I couldn't believe it when she came home with one! Believe me I called the teacher the next day!!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymamaNY
My child doesn't have a peanut allergy, but she is allergic to latex. Last year, she comes home with a balloon the teacher gave her, and she was blowing it up!!! Needless to say, her whole face turned very blotchy red, itchy, and her tongue got fat. They knew she was allergic to latex, and the school actually has signs on the doors saying, "no latex balloons allowed in this school" and I couldn't believe it when she came home with one! Believe me I called the teacher the next day!!
It's even worse when it is a teacher!