Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #61
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you think our society's overprotectiveness could do more harm than good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
You know as I read this thread...this is what I am thinking...where the heck do these people live??!!! In the 3 places I have lived I have never seen another helicopter parent in my 15 years of parenting. All major cities etc.

In this town, no one watches their kids (school age and up). They are not involved in their lives, have no clue what their kids are up to, let them roam free until 11 at night (9 year olds) let their toddlers loose, sit at the park smoking and drinking while their kids bully and take over the play ground....

I am what some would call overprotective, but I really think that I am a minority, that DS (diaperswappers moms) are minorities and that society in general is very un-protective of their kids. They give them what they want (cell phones, money, the hottest clothes and toys) to shut them up, they are not involved in the schooling of their kids, they let them do what they please so they don't have tantrums which then of course leads to entitlement. I don't think overprotecting them does, but the opposite.
Upper middle class and above.

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #62
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1
The reason violent crime is down (according to the FBI) is most likely due to an increase in awareness (i.e. neighborhood watch programs and, yes, ironically because we are more careful), an increase in police and what is available to them, and effectiveness of anti-drug campaigns, decreased organized crime rings, inner city programs for kids and adults, AND, I found this interesting, an increase in the availability of anti-psychotic drugs for disturbed individuals (and hospitilazation options).
I am pro life

BUT if you watch Freakonomics, they explain a very well backed up theory that legalized abortion is the main reason for our drop in violent crime.

Not to go too off topic, but they show the numbers and well, it is quite compelling and makes logical sense (available on Netflix).
Old 06-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #63
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody

You know as I read this thread...this is what I am thinking...where the heck do these people live??!!! In the 3 places I have lived I have never seen another helicopter parent in my 15 years of parenting. All major cities etc.

In this town, no one watches their kids (school age and up). They are not involved in their lives, have no clue what their kids are up to, let them roam free until 11 at night (9 year olds) let their toddlers loose, sit at the park smoking and drinking while their kids bully and take over the play ground....

I am what some would call overprotective, but I really think that I am a minority, that DS (diaperswappers moms) are minorities and that society in general is very un-protective of their kids. They give them what they want (cell phones, money, the hottest clothes and toys) to shut them up, they are not involved in the schooling of their kids, they let them do what they please so they don't have tantrums which then of course leads to entitlement. I don't think overprotecting them does, but the opposite.
This is a good point.

This is sort of how I think of it all though. Entitlement kids and kids from overprotective parents deal with some of the same issues. They don't know how to not have what they want. They can't deal with disappointment because they have never had to.

Sure, they're 2 distinct groups, but there are a lot of overlaps in the outcomes of each parenting style.

But you do bring up a good point. We are certainly in the general minority to be debating parenting styles online.

If my kid didn't need me to lay here while she naps, I would likely be making my parenting decisions with less input from others (read: online forums)
Old 06-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #64
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever

Upper middle class and above.
Really? I have always lived in the upper middle class and above and have experiened quite the opposite.

I grew up very wealthy. My parents and friends parents were not in the least over protective and even now I just dont see over protective parents.

I think society as a whole is not protective enough.

Either way crime is down, teen smoking and pregnancy is down so something somewhere is being done better.

Eta: we live in a neighborhood with $600-1million dollar homes, spendy cars, etc and i just dont see it. What I do see is quite the opposite. ;(

Last edited by ktmelody; 06-01-2012 at 03:42 PM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #65
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you think our society's overprotectiveness could do more harm than good?

Yes I think it can. I don't think it always will and I don't know what the "limit" is, but I do think some overprotection can cause more harm then good.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote