Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1
My Mood:
attachment parenting?

What exactly is it?

Megan, wife to Jason. Mommy to Asher, 2, Levi, 1 and Rebekah coming September 10.
babylove921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: attachment parenting?

The attachment parenting international website gives info on the 8 basic principles:
<3 my Only One (09/01), Mama to Monkey Boy (7/08) & Princess (10/11)
BF #1-31mos / #2-29mos & counting
ikitakunai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

1.Prepare for pregnancy, birth, and parenting. Proponents of attachment parenting believe it is important to eliminate negative thoughts and feelings about pregnancy. Doing so, they say, readies a parent for the emotionally demanding work of being a parent.

2.Feed with love and respect.Breastfeeding, proponents say, is the ideal way to create a secure attachment. It also teaches infants that parents will listen to their cues and fulfill their needs.

3.Respond with sensitivity. With attachment parenting, parents consider all expressions of emotions, including repeated tantrums, as real efforts at communication. Those efforts are to be taken seriously and understood rather than punished or dismissed.

4.Use nurturing touch. Attachment parenting proponents advise maximum skin-to-skin touching. Ways to achieve that include joint baths and "baby-wearing"

5.Engage in nighttime parenting. Attachment parenting experts advise making "co-sleeping" arrangements. With co-sleeping, an infant sleeps in the same room with parents so they can feed and emotionally soothe the child during the night. Some parents practice "bed-sharing" or sleeping in the same bed with babies. It's thought that this creates an even more secure attachment. Precautions are advised, though, to help prevent sudden infant death syndrome, or SIDS.

6.Provide constant, loving care. Proponents of attachment parenting advise the nearly constant presence of a parent. That includes during walks, parents' night out, and work. They advocate against childcare for more than 20 hours a week for babies younger than 30 months old.

7.Practice positive discipline. Parents are advised to distract, redirect, and guide even the youngest of babies, and to model positive behavior. Attachment parenting aims at understanding what a child's negative behavior is communicating. And parents are encouraged to work out a solution together with a child, rather than spanking or simply imposing their will on children.

8.Strive for balance in personal and family life. Parents are encouraged to create a support network, live a healthy lifestyle, and prevent parenting burn-out.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'm sure that if you google it you will find lots of resources.
Jen=mummy to L and S and A, my birthday thief, and one little baby-not-to-be 14/2/14
I sell patterns for OSFM covers and fitted diapers, please check out
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Registered Users

I researched the heck out of it while pregnant, and consider myself an AP momma, and frankly my answer to your question is.... Attachment Parenting is...

Common Sense, instinct-based parenting
Bellydancing, Jesus-loving, cloth-diapering ecologist and Mommy to Michael Christopher, born July 8, 2010!!

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty!

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time!
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

I wrote out my philosophy/interpretation a little over a year ago here:

I still think the same thing now.
Melissa-Wife, mother to DS 4/02 and DD 4/07, DS 7/08 DD 7/13
ISO: my lost shaker of salt
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

yep, stick to your gut, gentle parenting is my AP philosophy.
another amanda | mama to viveka, my sunshine & rohan, my vbac toddler
tandeming | content contributor | opinionated full-time telecommuting | unequally-yoked Catholic Wife
Let me be your bag lady! THIRTY-One? Check out my giveaways!
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote