Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Taking my 2 yr old to the doctor for a cough

Yep, I guess I've turned into one of "those" parents who runs their kid to the doctor for a cough. I'm so nervous that the doctor is going to say "Oh it's nothing, just a summer cold" and I"m going to look like an over-protective, hypochondriac parent.

He started with a cough about 4 days ago.. just a normal cough. Then on Wednesday he threw up twice.

Wednesday night the cough got worse and he woke up in the middle of the night coughing this nasty sounding, rattling cough.

Yesterday morning he seemed ok, but the started coughing in the afternoon and for the rest of the evening.

Called the pediatrician's office right before five, and thankfully they were still there.. and they were able to give me an appointment for 9am.

DH called his shop foreman to explain what was going on (we're a one car family) and Tony was really awesome and told DH that he understood and to just come in after DS3's appointment.

DS3 woke up in a coughing fit this morning too.

He's not coughing now, it seems to be worse first thing in the morning, fine in the afternoon, then coughing in the evening and middle of the night.

I don't normally take my kids to the doctor for cold symptoms.. but it's bothering me that this seems to be getting worse.

He's also not playing with as much enthusiasm as is normal for him and his eyes always "look tired" if you know what I mean.

So please tell me that I'm not being silly for taking him in for just a cough? He's my 3rd, you'd think I'd have a grip on this kind of stuff by now. LOL

God bless!

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
Blessed2005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Taking my 2 yr old to the doctor for a cough

I think your doing what's right. DH and I have had a mean cold.....his lasted 5-6 days and mine start Saturday. Despite resting ALOT, I'm still sick a little. The cough is the worst part. I looked up the symptoms and it is likely pneumonia or bronchitis. You need to rule those things out with LO's. Maybe the can give you a nebulizer(i don't think I spelled that right) to help while the cough. On the bright side, it could just be an allergy. I would do the same thing though. If my kid was coughing like I have been, they would have long beeen at the Dr., even though I didn't go myself.....so different with our children aren't we? Blessings Mama!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

You do what feels right at the time that's all you can do!
I've pretty much stopped taking my kids in because I've never been told anything other than 'they are sick, put them to bed'.
The measure I was told to look for is extreme lethargy and/or any breathing difficulties.

Even bronchitis is viral so although I've been told that's what it is, they don't treat it.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

You do what feels right at the time that's all you can do!
I've pretty much stopped taking my kids in because I've never been told anything other than 'they are sick, put them to bed'.
The measure I was told to look for is extreme lethargy and/or any breathing difficulties.

Even bronchitis is viral so although I've been told that's what it is, they don't treat it.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
jessieof5
Registered Users
seller

i think its sounds bad enough to take him in. I am on the fence about that kinda stuff. I am alot like my dad in that way- just wait it out and see, if it gets bad take them in. but i feel pressured sometimes by family members to take them in for any little thing. Then i feel stupid when they say its only a cold or whatever. but you have to do what you feel is best for YOUR kid, you know? You are the one who is supposed to take care of them. So if you feel like it is a dr visit kind of illness, dont feel bad about taking them in. you are just doing your job!
jessieof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd so the same! DS had a cough when he was younger and we kept think it'd get better, but then we ended up in the hospital for 5 days! He wasn't even that bad, just a small cough, but then he had a fit and started vomiting/coughing up clear phlegm one night and we took him in. It was pretty scary since he was so little, and symptoms sounded a lot like whooping cough....

Turns out it was RSV.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
pine_apple_goat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry about them thinking you're a hypochondriac. I hope your DS feels better soon.
pine_apple_goat is online now   Reply With Quote