Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

I think what people mean is that you will know you are in active labor (unless you are one of those rare people who know nothing until the baby falls out) because active labor will require your attention. You won't be able to ignore it.

I agree that early labor can be hard to identify, but I would question whether it needs to be identified. Aside from satisfying curiosity, it isn't that beneficial to know. You should continue life as much as you can as long as you can. Of course, if you feel rotten, you can stay in bed. That would be good too. But there just isn't really anything in particular that you need to DO during early labor.

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by melyndie
I think what people mean is that you will know you are in active labor (unless you are one of those rare people who know nothing until the baby falls out) because active labor will require your attention. You won't be able to ignore it.

I agree that early labor can be hard to identify, but I would question whether it needs to be identified. Aside from satisfying curiosity, it isn't that beneficial to know. You should continue life as much as you can as long as you can. Of course, if you feel rotten, you can stay in bed. That would be good too. But there just isn't really anything in particular that you need to DO during early labor.
This. I wasn't positive until active labor started. Not a big deal. I think every woman is just dying to scream 'I'm in labor!!!' but for the majority it happens gradually. Sometime sputtering out. Gl
Old 06-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didn't realize I was in labor, either. I had even been to my OB at 10am and was dilated to only 1. By 8pm I was wondering if the pains I was feeling were indigestion...LOL. Went to the hospital at 10:30pm, was dilated to 8 with a bulging bag and had baby a couple of hours later. By the time I got to the hospital, I was in active labor and I knew, but did not know before. I had been cranky all day & having tightening for a couple of days before, including that day. I tried the warm bath that night and it didn't stop the pains, so that's when I knew to go to the hospital. Good luck, OP.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
scrapandsewon
Registered Users

My Mood:
With my first two, I knew about my early labor. I was feeling regular pressure for several hours. Once active labor hit, first was born four hours later, second an hour and a half of active labor.

Third one, my water broke, no labor for over 14 hrs, so I chose to induce.

Fourth baby, didn't know I was in labor. I felt weird, kinda unsettled, almost like when a dog paces while in labor. Ctx were all over the place, short, painless, anywhere from 5-15 min. apart. But I remembered my mom talking about feeling similar with all of her labors, so I headed in. Good thing, because DD was born ten minutes after I walked in the door. No pains, no pushing, ctx were never regular. She just literally came out on her own, in the triage room before I had even been entered in the computer, had my name on their board or had a chance to get the monitors on my belly.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
mamanorsby
Registered Users

My mw says it could just as easily be related to my low-grade anemia - I ran out of Flodradix the other day, so that could bring about my sluggishness and Ill feeling. I'm having steak tonight and then going to bed early, early (non?)labor be damned!

Thanks for all your input! I love this forum.
mamanorsby is offline   Reply With Quote