Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
sea697
Registered Users
seller
seller

activities to include both kids

If this should be somewhere else (like homeschooling) please move. Since my kids are so young, I don't think this really counts as homeschooling, but I could be wrong.
I have a 3.5 year old DD and 11 month old DS. I am trying to figure out some activities that I can do that involve both of them so I don't have to ignore one of them or *gasp* stick them in front of the TV. Unfortunately, anytime I try to sit down with DD to do anything, DS starts trying to grab whatever we are doing and eat it lol. And then DD gets really mad. It's really frustrating. I want to find some things to engage both of them and maybe if I'm lucky teach them something, but I am just not coming up with anything at the moment. They are at very different places developmentally (obviously), so I'm finding it hard to work with both of them at the same time, and constantly taking turns all day is exhausting. I'm hoping all you creative mamas can help me with some ideas!

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: activities to include both kids

First thing that comes to mind is playing with blocks. They could both play at the same time but you could focus it in different ways. Have your 11 month old practice trying to stack them and have your 3.5 yr old sorts them by color & shape, practice counting and maybe some simple addition.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I baked when the girls were that age-they are also about 2.5yrs apart). Dd1 was old enough to actually help and dd2 would happily play with the measuring spoons/cups, flour, a bit of salt or water, ect not all together all the time but depending on how much I wanted to clean the more options I gave her lol She loved mixing, tasting, pouring, filling, ect and was nicely confined to her high chair so it never got really wild lol We also read a lot. Well i read to dd1 while dd2 sat close by chewing on her books, stacking them, making circles around the room putting them on/off everywhere she could reach. We had a sandbox around that time too but I got sick of all the sand in the house so I never replinished it.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 07-02-2012 at 10:03 PM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: activities to include both kids

Mega blocks is a good idea! Yesterday I pulled out ours and all 3 of ours had fun with them. Interesting enough for my older 2 and safe and fun for my baby too Also useful for teaching sharing, colours, counting and putting things away.

Toy food and pots and pans are always fun for everyone here too.

My older 2 do also love to 'help' cook and my youngest loves to play with spatulas and other 'safe' kitchen items if we are in the kitchen.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote