Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Shaunam
Registered Users

Re: How old before you let your child........ and why?

I'd let my son at age 7, if he had a buddy with him. I'm not sure about going alone. Maybe in a year or two? We don't have any parks within walking distance so I haven't really had to think about it.

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My son is 6 and I just started letting him play out front with the neighborhood kids. If there was a park that close to my home, I would probably let him at age 7 with a friend but not alone.
dncegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

In that scenario I would let me my dd and a neighbour friend go. She is in Gr 2 and her friend is in Kindergarten. They are both super sensible girls. My younger dd will probably never be allowed out of my sight.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure. We have a small park 1 block from us but you have to cross a busy-ish road where a lot of people speed to get there. So I don't feel comfortable letting my 7 yr old walk there right now - and definitely not my 4 yr old who is terrible about jumping in front of cars. I might let my 2 girls start going over there in a couple of years if dd2 will listen to dd1 (dd1 is a rule follower so I know she'd do what I say). Ds I would probably allow to go a bit younger with the older girls if he listens good (he's 2 now so who knows) but probably by then dd1 will be losing interest in that park (it's tiny) and not want to go there.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
this_mel_rocks
Registered Users
seller

10 is our age pending maturity.
this_mel_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #16
tusheez
Registered
seller

My Mood:

hmmm I would say 10 and I would want a friend to go with. It's a very scary thing! But I remember reading somewhere that kids go missing kidnapped etc just yards from their home. Can he take a cell phone with him. I hate that the world has changed so much. My parents would let us play all over the neighborhood. My dad and his friends would walk everywhere. Ugh so sad that we have to be like this with all the crazies in the world.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think around age 7 maybe 8 depending on maturity. That is the age I was allowed to do stuff like that and I think it was perfect. Around 1st grade I walked to school with my neighbor who went to the school and could go to my friend's houses a few houses down and we could go a little ways down the block. I think 10 is on the old side.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 06-01-2012 at 12:38 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #18
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

10 maybe 11 years old but not 5 years old. A 5 year old is too easy to pick up and walk away with. No one pays attention to kicking and screaming 5 year old at a park. Everyone assumes the child is having a tantrum and sympathise with the adult.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #19
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

To me it would depend on the town and how populated and traveled it was as well as the kids responsiblity level. My son is 6 and I think I would let him go except I wouldn't want him to go alone and my next to youngest is 4. So I would probably wait a year and let them go when they would be 7 and 5. Although this is hypothetical for me since we live in the country. They do explore our fields and woods solo but aren't allowed to wonder too far just yet. They are very mature which makes a big difference. My youngest is 2 and SN and to say that she wouldn't be allowed the same things would be an understatment.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #20
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Where I live, never alone. With a friend around 9-10. My older girls used to walk to the park (when we lived within distance) but they always went together or with a friend.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote