Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #31
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old before you let your child........ and why?

My ds is 8 and I would not let him go by himself anytime soon. He has behavior issues though. DD is 6 and follows rules and listens well, but I still can't imagine an age that it would be ok.

They are both given quite a bit of freedom on our own land(31 acres). Not really worried about them, but about other people who could be a danger to them.

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #32
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

We were in a similar situation in our previous home a park just a street over that could "just" be seen from our back window yard area..
Part of course would depend on the safety of your neighborhood but assuming your comfortable with that..
I allowed my at the time 8 year old to go IF she went with an approved buddy and of course got my permission first.
Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #33
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange

Yeah, I've come to realize there are city ordinance/laws on this. Surprised me a little.
Usually are. Here you can't have a child by their self anywhere if they're under 12, even at home.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #34
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Probably 8 or 9. Our neighborhood park gets very young children there by themselves. I guess because we have security running (military housing). I don't like it and do my best to watch them in case they get hurt. By young I mean there are 3 and 4 year olds by themselves.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #35
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

im my complex anybody 16 & under has to b w/ an adult. so it would b 16 here. ( i live in a big complex on privite property w/ 138 aparments. thought it was 200 but was corrected. ) off the grounds it would probibly b around the same age or older since the closes park besides the one here is 30 min away (on foot) & there have been abductions happing to kids as old as 18 here. a few of then have been found dead in the rivers/woods. so i dont let my kids go anywhere alone raight now.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #36
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had a park 2 doors down when I was growing up. My parents didn't let us go without an adult until I was 8 and my brother was 10, and we HAD to stay together, so if one of us wanted to leave, we both had to leave. When we started babysitting at ages 12/13, we could go alone but if I was there and there weren't other kids around and an adult showed up, I left in a hurry, being the super cautious kid that I was. My kids, even my 2-year-old, play in the back yard without constant supervision, but they will be at least 8-10 before they go anywhere without an adult, and only then with another friend.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #37
calapitters
Registered Users

My Mood:
We live in a very safe, family friendly town. I would let my 11 year old go, but I'd only let my 6 year old go if he were with his older sister and I was going to meet them there shortly.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:50 AM   #38
Cdra
Registered Users
seller
seller

It depends on so many factors. I wouldn't let my son go to the park alone a block and a half away. He'll be 12 later this year. We live in a nice neighborhood in Chicago but this is still Chicago. I've lived here all my 30 years of life and don't feel safe letting him go alone. Maybe with a friend his age or older. He is very mature and smart But I would still worry. It's easy to become distracted of your surroundings when having a good time.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:49 AM   #39
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

My DS is 7, and I would let him go right now with a friend.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:09 AM   #40
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_c_odonnell View Post
Yeah like 14 (maybe). But I have trouble with them in the backyard without an adult and it's fenced in a cul de sac.
Really?? 14? You wouldn't let your high schooler go someplace by themselves? how will they ever learn responsibility if you do not give them any freedom?
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote