Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2012, 04:40 AM   #41
Maddalena
Registered Users
seller

Not until he's a teenager and w at least 2 friends. Even then idk cause then u got a whole new set of problems lol! Most teenagers, in my opinion, should never be alone together.

Advertisement

Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:43 AM   #42
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

I dont even let my teenagers go hang out at the park alone. Why? About age 10 they can go with a friend or friends
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #43
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:
I would let my 9 and almost 7 yr old go together but not my 5 yr old.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #44
trulyprecious
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old before you let your child........ and why?

My LOs are still little but I think around 10-12 years of age I might be ok with it.

Last edited by trulyprecious; 07-02-2012 at 09:56 PM.
trulyprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #45
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Honestly, it really just would depend on the specific circumstances of the specific situation. My oldest was going to our neighborhood playground when she was 6, by herself. However, it was less than a 3 minute walk, and I am in one of those developer designed subdivisions with a park in the middle and only 2 ways in and out. And to get to the closest way out from the playground you had to go past my house. Although I could see the playground from my yard, there was a house or two behind us that blocked part of the view at times. But again, it wasn't a super appealing place for someone to pick kids up. It is in the "common area" of the neighborhood, and at least 10 to 20 homes have a perfectly clear view it. In addition, while there are kids that play there regularly, it's not a SUPER BUSY playground...it's not someplace where an adult to hide in the crowd. And, it's not a public park, it's private to our neighborhood. That doesn't mean there's like a gate and someone checking addresses or anything, just that it's not something people generally come to from anywhere outside the neighborhood. Overall, it's just a REALLY low risk situation...my kid was more likely to hurt herself by falling or crashing her bike on the way, than she was in danger from anyone else.

However, change the situation to a public park, very popular, large and near major roads, and that isn't something I would let a 6 yr old or younger do alone. It's all about the situation and the individual risk of the situation, there is no generic age or rule that I hold.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:59 AM   #46
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

For me, I look at the big picture of "by themselves"...

When they're old enough/able to cross the street, walk home from school, run in to the store with $5 and grab a gallon of milk, etc.
(When they can fall and scrape a knee without having a meltdown... I've seen 12 year old screamers!)

When they're both responsible AND accountable for their actions. Overall, they must understand the consequences and threats/risks around them.

These situations are cumulative examples of the responsibility & behavior required to be entrusted with ones own well being.

I think of it like this:
If I wouldn't leave him alone at home, then I wouldn't expect that he'd be better off outside minding himself and his own business.

Oh, and never alone, always with a sibling or buddy.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:03 AM   #47
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddalena
Not until he's a teenager and w at least 2 friends. Even then idk cause then u got a whole new set of problems lol! Most teenagers, in my opinion, should never be alone together.
Lol, so true!
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:17 AM   #48
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm from the inner city, now living out on a farm its still hard for me to let the kids run around outside without me, and our driveway is .5 mile long