Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
ecomother
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Vit K/ Eye Drops/Shots Questions for baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by marliah View Post
Heres some not so highly published information on the hep b vaccine
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...fant-boys.aspx

And the vaccine ingredient lists
http://www.informedchoice.info/cocktail.html

And I would encourage those who are vaccinating to research how the disease rates dropped before vaccines were introduced. Vaccines have not been proven to be effective.
Who wrote that list on the Informed Choice website? Any person could compile a list like that. Did you note the disclaimer? If it is ethyl mercury that WAS in vaccines then why do they mention the toxicity of elemental mercury? Ethyl mercury exposure is not equivalent to what happens with exposure to elemental mercury or methyl mercury.

"Disclaimer / Investigate: The intent of this website is to raise awareness about the controversial aspects of vaccination. Many vaccines still contain thimerosal (49.6% ethylmercury by weight.) While mercury is a highly toxic element second only to radioactive plutonium, when combined with other ingredients, specifically aluminum and formaldehyde, the synergistic effects increase 10,000-fold. Individuals who suffer from chronic mercury exposure will have a unique expression of symptoms. This presentation is not to be construed as medical or legal advice: locate and confer with a trusted physician and lawyer."

As for Mercola, well...should we be taking ANY advice from this guy?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Mercola
http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/mercola.html
Sadly, my MIL follows that quack and per his advice refuses to wear sunscreen and now she has skin cancer which she is trying to cure by following more of his "expert" advice.

Advertisement

Last edited by ecomother; 06-04-2012 at 08:35 PM.
ecomother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
alliecatn1
Registered Users
seller
seller

If baby comes out bruised we will do oral Vit. K (offered by our MW), but without a traumatic birth we'll be skipping the vit. K all together. No eye goo for us and we're skipping the birth dose of Hep B. I am going to try my best to keep baby away from sex and dirty needles for the first couple of weeks. Hehe. Our ped gives three hep B shots after birth anyway (because of the combo vaccines) so giving a birth dose would be extra.

Over the moon!! After 17 months of TTC, our sweet miracle, Corwin Gregory, was born August 29, 2012!! ...And our surprise baby #2 is due April 16, 2014
alliecatn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
bruenderbaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

We are saying no to all three. I researched the vit K and discovered that is I eat plenty of foods with vit K, the baby will get enough to supplement until his or her own is fully functional (I read after a week). My ped said the initial concern for vit k is right away, so if I supplement, that should be good. Also, cucumbers and asparagus have a lot more vit k than leafy greens, and luckily I love both!

The eye goop is just for two std's. I was on the fence about this one, even though there is absolutely no worry about me (or hubby) having them. I mean they test you for them at like 34 weeks. Anyway, after talking to my ped, she said if there is an issue, it can be caught quickly and dealt with right away. She did not seem concerned at all. So no goop this time.

We haven't ever done the hep b. As others have pointed out, it is a blood/sex disease. We are in an area that is 'higher risk', but we are aware of the dangers and feel the vaccine is riskier. Maybe if the kids are in contact sports someday, they will get them. There seems to be no reason for an infant to be exposed to such a disease the first days of life outside of mama.

After reading other posts, I might be opting out of the heel prick also. With ds1, they did it a bunch, because he lost so much weight right away, even though I had a penecilin drip throughout my whole labor. (My water broke 'early and I was strepb positive). It was aweful. DS2 nursed during his heel prick and didn't even flinch, but why even put them through it unless is actually is necessary. Hospitals seem to be a little too 'just in case' and stuck in their procedures.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruenderbaby View Post
We are saying no to all three. I researched the vit K and discovered that is I eat plenty of foods with vit K, the baby will get enough to supplement until his or her own is fully functional (I read after a week). My ped said the initial concern for vit k is right away, so if I supplement, that should be good. Also, cucumbers and asparagus have a lot more vit k than leafy greens, and luckily I love both!

The eye goop is just for two std's. I was on the fence about this one, even though there is absolutely no worry about me (or hubby) having them. I mean they test you for them at like 34 weeks. Anyway, after talking to my ped, she said if there is an issue, it can be caught quickly and dealt with right away. She did not seem concerned at all. So no goop this time.

We haven't ever done the hep b. As others have pointed out, it is a blood/sex disease. We are in an area that is 'higher risk', but we are aware of the dangers and feel the vaccine is riskier. Maybe if the kids are in contact sports someday, they will get them. There seems to be no reason for an infant to be exposed to such a disease the first days of life outside of mama.

After reading other posts, I might be opting out of the heel prick also. With ds1, they did it a bunch, because he lost so much weight right away, even though I had a penecilin drip throughout my whole labor. (My water broke 'early and I was strepb positive). It was aweful. DS2 nursed during his heel prick and didn't even flinch, but why even put them through it unless is actually is necessary. Hospitals seem to be a little too 'just in case' and stuck in their procedures.
All policies and procedures at hospitals are typically research based and /or fueled by previous lawsuits. (Though, I do wonder if our hospital is a bit different because we are certified baby friendly?)

We will not be doing hep b or eye goop. I may do vitamin k orally since babies don't typically produce their own for about 1 week post birth. It depends on my labor and birth, though. We do not circumsize so bleeding is not an issue.

As far as the PKU test is concerned, I am fairly certain that I will not opt out of that. The test screens for 15 or so metabolic diseases and if left untreated some of them can be fatal. That is an important one to me.

Blood sugars will ONLY be done is my baby is symptomatic. I will not allow blood draws just to fulfill a protocol.

I really suggest knowing your hospital protocols and educating youself prior to birth about what will work best for you and your baby.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #15
bohemianxchaos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
On Ohio breastmilk is an approved alternative. i win.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #16
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemianxchaos View Post
On Ohio breastmilk is an approved alternative. i win.
That's great! Yay for Ohio!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #17
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomother
The eye goop doesn't protect against HPV, only against chlamydia and gonorrhea. Also, if you choose to use the ointment request that it not be silver nitrate which burns and is less comfortable for baby.
Thanks! I asked my dr and they don't use silver nitrate here.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #18
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If Benjamin is early and has to stay in the NICU he will for sure have the hep b vax just as a precaution because he will have to have twice daily heal stick. While I know it's crazy to think that he could he help b in the NICU I'd rather be safe then sorry...
Old 06-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #19
lissa~K
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by lissa~K; 04-23-2013 at 08:42 AM.
lissa~K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #20
alliecatn1
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissa~K
I always try to get on these threads to say that the newborn screening test is absolutely not unnecessary. I have a child with a metabolic disorder that was caught by the newborn heel prick and if I had followed some of the advice that I see here often and waited until 2 weeks old to perform the test it would have been a problem for my baby, forever. The rational with that advice is that some conditions are more accurately tested for after the metabolization of breastmilk for a period of time, and this is true, but not for every disorder. That is why we test at birth and then follow up with ped. at 2 weeks old.

We don't vax until around 2 or 3 years old or do the eye goop either so I don't care about those choices. I just cannot miss a chance to ask parents to reconsider newborn screening. Okay off my
Yup, I see the newborn screens pick up various disorders rather frequently. Treatment is always more effective the sooner you're aware of the issue!

Over the moon!! After 17 months of TTC, our sweet miracle, Corwin Gregory, was born August 29, 2012!! ...And our surprise baby #2 is due April 16, 2014
alliecatn1 is offline   Reply With Quote