Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
mommypooh
Registered Users

What do you feed your children?

I was watching the new show on Discovery Channel called Yummy Mummy. And they were talking about cooking for yourself and your toddler. They were giving recipie ideas on what to cook to get you child to eat it, but it was food you would make just for the child along side what you already had to make for yourself and you partner.

Well in this house I cook dinner, I keep in mind that they are kids and aren't going to like somethings, but Whatever is cooked for mommy and daddy is served to the kids. Their choice is to learn to eat it or go hungrey. Now sometimes if I am making very grown up foods I will make something just for them, but I always put what we are having on their plate so they learn to eat it or eat around it.

My mom has a child that won't eat anything on his plate if he dosen't like one thing. It makes me so angry that she caters to him, if he decides he dosen't want something that is for dinner he cries and gets ice cream instead. I personally can't stand it.

My kids start life nursing which gives them a taste of what we eat in the house. WHen they are close to a year old I start putting the food on my plate in front of them. They never get baby food. I never make a whole sperate meal for them. My kids eat onion, cucumber, zuccini, brocolli, cabbage, carrots, Mushrooms, and all kids of fruits as well. I can take my kids to Fujiyama (a local Japenses steak house that cooks in front of you) and they will eat everything they are served. I can feed my kids just about any cusaine and they will eat it.

Truth be told my kids eat more of a variety of foods than I do.

What is your policy for getting kids to eat?

Advertisement

mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Choose2bgr8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you feed your children?

I try to get my girls to eat, but it is hard. I don't know what to do so I am watching.
Choose2bgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:31 PM   #3
Watercolor Ponies
Professional, Proficient, PeeWell Procurer (or anything else you want me to stalk!)
seller

My Mood:

We do pretty much what you do. If the kiddos don't eat what I made, then they don't eat. And when we do stuff like salmon or tuna steaks or something, I do something related, like fish sticks or battered fish filets. (not incredibly healthy, I know, but it gets them to eat "fish")

Truth be told, my kids choose the "go hungry" option more often than not. They are stubborn as mules sometimes. But we make them sit at the table as if they are eating, so it isn't a reward to not eat. And they definitely do not get dessert if they don't eat at least a spoonful of everything on their plate.

I am sure this sounds mean, but I figure when ds are ready to eat, they will. And they have healthy breakfast and lunch/snacks, so they aren't missing out nutritionally.
Watercolor Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
mommypooh
Registered Users

if it is dinner that is the meal they rufuse the only dessert they get is an apple or veggie sticks or banana, but that is at least after 2 hours since dinner has past. and it is after the rest of use had our cookie, or pudding or whatever. I offer them a snack to get through the night.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

i use to do that --- going to bed hungry and i just couldnt do that so i stopped doing that. daavid is hiiighly picky so yes i do cater him a lot--i make him pasta and hotdogs all the time. but now he is going to summer program and for lunch he is working with a behavioral therapist (or OT) so he takes food he has never eaten before and they work withhim (he needs the incentive to do it) he does ok. i dont want to push him though just yet here as he is soo tiny (27lbs) and i prefer he eats what he likes. but after being in this program i will start in the house. i was too traumatized when i was lil that i had to eat everything in my plate or i got the belt. i just dont wanna push him at all and when he ready i will push him , but not now. he too tiny.
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
mommypooh
Registered Users

Oh and for the record I don't require the plate to be cleaned. my kids most meals only eat 5 or 6 bites and call it done. I don't care. It is their belly not mine.

Sandy I totally know what you mean, I had a friend whose parents made the kids clean the plate and I refused to ever eat their again because of it. I also think making a kid eat every bite on their plate instead of listening to their body is what has made kids so over weight in this country. JMHO
Old 06-13-2006, 01:50 PM   #7
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kiddo eats everything. We go out for Mexican a lot and we are ALWAYS asked if we want lettuce, etc. on his taco. Well, why not? The kid LOVES salad, in fact one of his favorite things to eat is black olives straight! Brandon though has tried the "I'm not hungry but I want a cookie." I refuse and keep telling him with a straight face that his dinner is on the table and as soon as he eats it he can have a snack. It only lasts about 30 minutes of that before he decides he wants to eat what's on his plate

My philosophy is eat what mom cooks or you go hungry. If you don't like what is put on the table for you, then you simply don't eat. I am not a short order cook, but I will take suggestions, lol. Once they are old enough to make their own, I am more than happy to let them do it if they don't like what I make but they must clean it up.

Once DD is older she will eat what we eat too. She's only 9 months and not on solids yet. She's had a taste of mashed beans or a taste of other things here and there off my finger, but nothing to say she's on solids yet.
ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #8
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommypooh
Oh and for the record I don't require the plate to be cleaned. my kids most meals only eat 5 or 6 bites and call it done. I don't care. It is their belly not mine.
Ditto. I start Brandon with very small portions too because he'll eat 2 bites and not want anymore.
ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
lainiew
Registered Users

In our house I make one meal - if you don't like it, you don't eat. But I don't make something that I'm sure my son won't eat. There will be at least something on his plate that I know he'll eat, whether it be the meat or the vegetable, or something else. Although he is 3yrs old, I do still help him eat sometimes -- I find that if he seems distracted, I can get some food in him if I help him. (Yes he can feed himself!).
When I started him on baby food, my Dr. gave me a list of foods and in what order to introduce them. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but my son is an awesome eater! Basically the list introduced many of the veges first then a fruit, then more veges. It is designed so they don't get a taste of the sweet fruit and not want any veges!!! Seemed to work great for us! We'll try with our second son in a few months!
Take care-
Elaine
lainiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
IsaMama
Registered Users

I give my daughter basically what my husband and I are eating.
She really is eager to try new things, even though we warn her that it might be sour, or spicy, or bitter : she`s not afraid of food.
However, if she doesn`t like it, I don`t force it on her : there will be plenty of chances to try it again. If she doesn`t eat at all because she doesnt like it, I`ll ask if she`s hungry and offer her a yogurt, or applesauce or something like that. Sometimes I`ll give her a sippy cup of Enfagrow as well.
IsaMama is offline   Reply With Quote