Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Re: What do you feed your children?

Well, DD's not quite 2 and is only just starting to really get into solids generally. She's fairly adventurous and we make a point to offer her what we're eating and she's pretty good about at least trying most things. She's still nursing so I don't really make a big deal about whether she "eats dinner" per se. I just keep offering her chances to try.

I'm not sure how I'll handle things as she gets older. I think it's hard to not turn eating into a power struggle, kwim. I definitely don't want to be in the business of being a short-order cook as she gets older but I don't also want to be making her gag down food just to be in the clean plate club to get dessert either.

I think I'll be watching this thread for ideas on how others do it.

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2006, 02:04 PM   #12
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

elaine i think that was my porblem, i started with fruits first . someoen (was it th epin) told me that it be better as he is ebf. so he gagged big time with veggies and never ate it so i mixed it with the fruits. solids he started at 15 mo , he gagged at everything and didnt wanna eat it.
he was one hard kid to feed for sure
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:04 PM   #13
AttachedMama
Registered Users
seller

Our kids eat what we eat, with a few exceptions. If I'm making something that I KNOW one of them doesn't like and hasn't liked for a long time then I'll make that child something else (easy) to eat. DS doesn't like anything w/ pasta..never has so I'll make some potatoes to go with his meal instead. DD doesn't like spaghetti sauce so she gets the noodles w/ a little olive oil, parmesan, salt & pepper. The food they don't like is still there, so when they want to try it again they can. DS just tried green beans again after years of hating them and wanted to see if his tastes have changed and now he loves them
AttachedMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #14
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids are a little picky.. but not too bad. I don't cater to them. Generally, there will be at least one thing that at least one child doesn't like when we make dinner. I just tell them "don't like it? don't eat it." I don't make them something to replace it. However, I do try to make sure that something is included in the meal that everyone likes. I don't make a meal of foods that I know doesn't contain anything for one particular member, does that make sense? Anyway, I always encourage them to try new foods and they'll usually at least take a bite.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #15
mommypooh
Registered Users

For those of you that offer something different when it is a meal they don't like do you include a small helping of what you are eating as well, just in the chance they might give it another try and like it?

My brother was a total imbaressment the other night. we went out to dinner and they put coleslaw on his plate with Chicken fingers and Fries, He refused to eat, made a large stink out of it and then took a spoon and flicked it all of the plate onto the table, my mom did nothing to stop this behaivior. I was motified, then after he got all the coleslaw off the plate he sat and contiuned to throw everything else off as well, because it had touched like one chicken finger and 5 or 6 fries so nothing was edible on his plate to him. He also was so loud about it, that everyone in the restaurant was lookin at us. and everyone thinks he's mine, because he is 6 and my mom looks so old. It is totally awful. Sorry needed to vent about this.

I sat my DD down later that night and talked to her about what Cannie did at dinner and talked to her about why we don't ever act like that. I feel bad that I have to bad mouth her uncle at every turn but I don't want her saying things like him, or acting like he does.

Any advice on how to encourage my mom to grow a back bone?

back to the topoic at hand.

My kids learned to eat veggies first as veggies are more often part of a meal than fruit. Fruit is desert.
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:42 PM   #16
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

My older son eats what we eat. Well, I use the term "eats" loosely, but still...

Our household is really varied. I'm a vegetarian, and my husband and children are not. My husband will not eat a bean (except green beans), potatoes (in any form), etc. So, I am dealing with a picky family! Regardless, we make it work. Often times I will make potatoes, and my husband can just skip over that. I don't want my children to "dislike" something, just because they've never had it, or because Daddy doesn't like it.

I also think that if my boys want to become a vegetarian, that's great! But, I'm not going to force that on them.

Mason is learning quickly that if he doesn't eat what Mom makes for dinner, he doesn't get dinner! I am sick and tired of force-feeding him---it makes meal time such a headache!

Camden is on a special diet since he has FTT and several allergies. That just makes things all the more difficult, but I've become creative, and we do okay.

I don't want my kids to miss out on things, just because they aren't willing to try. My husbands mom catered to him BIG TIME, which is why he is such a picky eater today. I'm not going to let my kids be like that! Just because it doesn't taste like m&ms, it still might be good!
Old 06-13-2006, 02:59 PM   #17
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I guess we're the oddballs...dh is extremely picky and we're both more "meat and potatoes" types so DJ actually eats more of a variety of foods than we do. Since he started on solids, I try to cook more vegetables and things like that because he likes those even though we don't! And for the record, he started on fruits first...if you've ever tasted breastmilk, it's like sugar water, so I have a hard time with the theory that fruits will make them sweet-o-holics. Right now there are only three of us so it's easy to make a meal that has something for everybody...as the family grows, who knows. I think I will continue to be able to make a coherent meal that has *something* everybody likes. I know I used to babysit for a family that had 4 kids. It was not unusual for the mother to leave instructions like make PB&J for one, grilled cheese for another, chicken fingers and mac/cheese for another, and frozen pizza for the other...oh and fix yourself whatever you want. That always kind of irked me. I didn't mind if we were having sandwiches for dinner and everyone wanted their own kind of sandwich but four totally different meals seemed a little "out there". But to each his own...more and more lately I find that I'm cooking for DJ and me (or even just DJ) and DH cooks for himself. Hopefully once the baby is born and I get my appetite and my energy back, that will go back to normal and we'll have more family meals again.

I have to admit though, I have been guilty of letting DJ have a bedtime snack on nights when he wouldn't eat his dinner. He doesn't get dessert or junk food (DADDY!!! ) if he doesn't eat a decent meal but I will let him have yogurt or peanut butter crackers or fruit or veggies or something to help him get through the night so that I'm not awakened at 3 a.m. by "Mommy...I want a waffle!" He does sit, either at the table or in his high chair, while we eat and I try to encourage him to eat, especially when it's something I know he likes, but I don't force the issue and when we're done, I clean everything up and get him down. I make a point of waiting as long as possible before offering a snack too, in hopes that he won't get used to skipping dinner and getting a snack anyway...but I know if he doesn't eat anything, he'll be waking me up soon and I can't see punishing myself. He is starting to catch on that if he eats a good dinner, his bedtime snack might be pudding or ice cream or something like that and if he doesn't, his bedtime snack will more likely be crackers or carrot sticks. I try to be careful about that too though because I don't want him to feel like junk food is a reward and healthy food a punishment...kwim? I get so mad when DH always wants to use candy as a "prize" for doing something good! That's another post though...
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:04 PM   #18
Five Green Beans
Registered Users
Formerly: mommalilac
seller

My Mood:

hubby is a chef. we all have so many differnt likes but its ok because he is used to being a "short order cook" we try to make things we all like but we cant always
Five Green Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:09 PM   #19
momof4
Registered Users
seller

DS is 11 and very picky; I don't want to cater to him, but I don't want him to be miserable either; if he doesn't eat every few hours, he doesn't function. So we sat down as a family and planned a basic menu schedule w/ at least one reasonably nutritious thing that he likes for each dinnertime. DD's are more flexible, but they still all have their quirks. I don't know how to run the kind of house my mom did where we all sit down together to exactly the same food and everyone has to eat it; I just don't have time, patience, or energy for the battle. As long as everyone has choices w/ some nutritional value, and I don't have to do too much (so I'll pop some frozen peas in the microwave for one, and cut up some pepper for another), then that has become our best option.

Completely agree with the offering young kids some of the grownup food. It's amazing what they'll take to!
Old 06-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #20
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ask my kids what we do at the dinner table, my house, your house, any house the rules are the same : "feed your body healthy things, try everything, and don't complain" And the 2 older kids will and do eat EVERYTHING. My 3 year old is a picky little bugger though... he won't eat a veggie and barely touches any proteins. I've tried EVERYTHING. He went 52 hours on water alone because we on purpose ran out of ALL fruit and ALL bread/cereal and peanutbutter. We offered all KINDS of veggies, beans, rice, pasta, cheese, meats, stews, etc. I will NEVER EVER EVER do that to a kid again regardless of what the stupid nutritionist says. But he's 3 and I just keep putting real food on his plate. He won't TRY everything yet but I make him interact with the food- so if he won't eat it he needs to at least cut it in half. I haven't given up hope- some day he'll eat RIGHT? But my big kids seriously eat anything and everything.