Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #21
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

Re: What do you feed your children?

At our house, it is eat it, or do without....I refuse to cook more than one meal, even the baby gets the same food we are eating. That being said, DH and I like really spicy food, so if I am making something really spicy, I will hold some of the meat or whatever out and won't season it as much. My DD is a great eater, she loves all kinds of food. DS is just 14 months, but he generally eats something every dinner. For lunch, I make them the same thing, but I usually eat something different, b/c I am trying to lose weight.

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2006, 03:44 PM   #22
lainiew
Registered Users

Just a side note -- I read somewhere that a child has to try a food something like 15 times before he can actually say he doesn't like it! I don't know -- maybe their tastes change as they get older???? Just guessing?! I know that my son has ever said he doesn't like something and then has tried it several months later and liked it! Go figure!
Elaine
lainiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #23
stellar225
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainiew
Just a side note -- I read somewhere that a child has to try a food something like 15 times before he can actually say he doesn't like it! I don't know -- maybe their tastes change as they get older???? Just guessing?! I know that my son has ever said he doesn't like something and then has tried it several months later and liked it! Go figure!
Elaine
I read that too -- I wish I could remember where. It has to do with it no longer being "new" and therefore "yucky" after so many times.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #24
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids eat what we eat. Joey (2) has a serious veggies issue and will spit them out if I mix them in things so I don't force him to eat his veggies. When I had my twins I was a single mom so whatever they wanted for dinner was what we had for dinner. I'd rather feed them something they want then fight them. That changed when I met dh and we all sat down for dinner together. With Nathen (4) we always fed him what we ate and he's always been a great eater. Especially veggies. My twins are having a hard time with certain veggies... don't like peas... don't like spinach salad (w/ boiled eggs, bacon, sweet onion and mushrooms... OUR FAVE SALAD!!)but they love other veggies. So I give them another veggie choice when we have spinach salad and on the occasion that they want the salad or peas we have them eat those first, otherwsie they take FOREVER to eat the last 4-5 bites. I also give them kid sized portions, they're all string bean skinny so I don't worry about them overeating but I want them to get a round meal. I have no patience for people who cater to their kids and then have eating problems later. Its your job as a parent to teach them the proper way to eat and to eat what is served (to an extent...) I wouldn't ever serve my kids something I wouldn't eat. I don't make liver or beef tongue, just your normal chicken, fish, beef, pork stuff.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #25
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, we put "our" foods on the kids' plates to encourage them to try them.

Oh, and we don't really "do" dessert around here.. It's a once in a blue moon kind of thing - so if they don't eat dinner, they don't eat.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:41 PM   #26
Carrie
Registered Users

I guess I'm the oddball. We feed the kids at 5:00 and they eat easy-to-eat foods like mac n'cheese, veggies, baked beans, omlets, cheese, fruit, veggie burgers and sometimes a little bit of meat. If we have some leftovers sometimes they have some of that. Ethan will eat almost anything but Ryan is pickier. We would feed them whatever we eat, but we don't cook it until after they have gone to bed at 7. I can't deal with eating dinner at five (we're up until 11:30 or so) and they can't eat later than that. And, unfortunately, our own meals are not always as well balanced as what I like them to eat.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:24 PM   #27
lararum
Banned

I usually try to make something for all of us to eat. My dd is just a little picky, not horribly so. She will eat almost any kind of starch, and we try to do all whole grain. She's not so great about protein, I've never gotten her to eat any meat(dh is veg. and that is how we eat, but some times I have chicken or fish), and she is not too big on fake meat stuff, but will eat tofu.
Usually I make rice or organic mac&cheese with one vegetable-she loves broccoli, peas and green beans-won't touch salads yet-and some fresh fruit, sometimes cut up cheese or tofu. She is so small, so I do give her other food if she won't eat what we are eating, but I give her a plate of what we have. I don't tell her it's an option, but wait and see if she eats. If she doesn't then I offer her some thing else. Some times she will eat the meal later, when she gets hungry. I try not to force any food on her and let her eat when she's hungry.
I throw away a lot of food
She loves eggs too, so I make those for dinner some times if dh isn't home. He won't eat them.
lararum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:10 PM   #28
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It depends Cadence is NOT a picky eater she eats stuff that I will not. So sometimes if we have something she wont eat mostly its bc shes sick of it and I dont blame her. She cant say "mom i want mexican rice and beans". I make what I am hungry for and as long as she eats a LITTLE of it Im ok with that bc I would hate to be forced to eat something that didnt sound good to me......jmo but I think everyone should only do what WORKS for them and their family
Old 06-14-2006, 06:40 AM   #29
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Ds for the most part eats what we are eating. He has severe reflux and texture aversions so there are a few things he cant eat. He has trouble mostly with meat. I will fix him a veggie burger in place of a meat he cannot eat. He's always been a good eater, he will eat any veggie or fruit (except strawberries ) and even some we won't eat. He will try anything so I know if he doesn't eat it, its because it bothers his stomach or the texture freaks him out. I can take him to any resturaunt and find something on the menu he will eat. He rarely eats snacks which I think helps. If he asks I will give him some raisons or a few pretzels but he hardly ever asks for a snack.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:23 AM   #30
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Well, Riley is only 1 but since shes been eating solid foods I try and make what she will eat at dinner time so in the future she doesnt snub her nose at what I make. But, we're big big huge chicken eaters, and seafood eaters. She LOVES chicken (havent given her seafood yet). She's a big fruit and veggie girl as well. She loves zuchinni, and red bell pepper (just found that out the other day haha). She loves eggs, and I swear if she eats one more peice of cantelope she is going to turn into one. I dont think there is one thing I have given her/offered her she didnt like and chow down on.

And, someone told me when she was just a wee little baby that just because I dont like something doesnt mean I cant offer it to her. Like, I despise tomatoes (and refuse to cut them or buy them LOL) but DH will and they eat them together and she loves it. Mushrooms too. She had them about 2 weeks aho while we were out to dinner and DH got them.

But, USUALLY what I make she eats as well. Sometimes it's just not appropraite for her. Like a few days ago I made spicey calamari pasta. I saved some of the pasta for her and she ate that but I made her a peice of chicken and some extra veggies. No biggie for me to cook something extra.

My Grandpa used to make us clean our plates as well and if we didnt he would out whatever was left in the fridge and when we were hungry again that was what we ate. One time, I was visiting for a few days. I had Coco Puffs for breakfast and he put bananas in it I didnt ASK for bananas but got them anyway. I had to CHOKE it down - I was crying it was awful. He put it in the fridge and made me eat it later. Well, needless to say I secretly called my Mom and she had words with him haha and he never did it again - and I would never do that to my kiido(s).

Im writing a freakin' novel here. I'm done