Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
BeasMom
Registered Users
seller

Question Labor Speed - How fast was your 1st vs 2nd, 3rd etc?

My first was pretty quick - water broke, and in 4 1/2 hours she was here. I'm 30 weeks pregnant again, and a little nervous about how fast this one may get here, because our hospital is a solid 30 minutes away and there are NO midwives in my area. (I live in rural south Mississippi).

So, I'd like to know your birth times! And if you were induced etc. with each of your pregnancies!

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

#1 15 hrs ( posterior baby) stuck at 6 for almost 7 hrs.

#2 2hrs, labor started with water breaking

#3 4hrs water broke during pushing

no inductions

Sent from my droid using DS Forum
Old 06-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dd1was 3hrs 55mins. Dd2 was 6hrs 45mins. It would have been shorter but after getting to an 8 I wanted an epi and a nurse completwly turned off the pit We didnt realize until 2-3hrs later,not sure really. But once we told someone and got it turned back on dd2 arrived within an hour. I was induced with bith girls.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Labor Speed - How fast was your 1st vs 2nd, 3rd etc?

#1 6.5 hours from first contraction
#2 5.5 hours from first contraction
#3 17.5 hours from first contraction

I thought for sure #3 would be faster, but after 6 hours I was only 5cm, and after 12 7cm, and then sort of stalled out at 8cm after 16.5 hours, my dr broke my water and I quickly dilated, but baby was facing front and wouldn't turn, once she did, she was out in less than 10 minutes.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With DS, my #1- My OB broke my water on my due date by my request (no pit or epi). I was already having mild contractions. Labor was FAST and HARD...DS arrived in exactly 5 hours. Pushed for MAYBE 10 minutes (semi-reclined).

With DD, my #2- I went into labor completely on my own. My water didn't break until I was pushing. Labor lasted about 6 hours. Pushed for MAYBE 5 minutes (upright).
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
Ebeuchat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My first was induced with pitocin at 7am and was born at 8:30pm, but I only had about 5 hrs hard labor. Second was born on due date, contractions just started themselves, and she was born in 3 hrs. Third was 8 days late so dr broke my water, baby was born 4 hrs later.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With DS I was in the hospital for about 2hrs. Everyone said number 2 is half the time of number 1. I thought no way, bc DS was so fast and I did labor (but not birth) in a tub. With DD, I was in the hospital 1hr15mins. . It was fast! But I only got monitored once upon arrival. From there I was upright the whole time until they checked me and from there I started pushing bc the doc arrived.

I will say, its a good thing we left when we did with DD. I had told dh I wanted to stay home a while longer...but contractions were 3mins apart and he said no. When I got to hospital I was a "good" 5cms dilated according to nurse. (with ds I arrived at a 6, so I thought we had arrived too soon). I dilated faster with #2 but I did stand in a hot shower and I think that helped speed things along.

Eta: no inductions or meds. Not opposed to either, just havent had a labor yet that required them

Last edited by sandhillcranes; 06-03-2012 at 07:14 AM.
sandhillcranes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first was 5 hours, but probably would have been closer to 4 or 4.5 if we had been planning a homebirth. I ended up having to not push to get to the hospital.
Second was 1/2 the time at 2.5 hours. (planned homebirth)
It seems like 1/2 the time is pretty normal for a second birth, so it wasn't a surprise that time. #2 went almost exactly the way I had thought it would, but more intense.

I didn't have any checks before the first, but I was checked about 4 hours before labor started with my second. Posterior cervix, 3 cm, 50% effaced, so there was still a lot of cervical change to go. I think that my babies come fast because I apparently have quite a large pelvis, and both babies were in optimal positions and not very big (7 pounds), so there's not too much to hold them in there! Both babies were engaged (0 station) before labor started, and had no head molding at all.

Last edited by songbird516; 06-03-2012 at 07:36 AM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

My first I was induced twice. Labor took from Sunday afternoon and he didn't get here until Tuesday night at like 10.40. This was at 41.5 weeks.

Second was 36 w 6 d. No induction. Checked in one afternoon, had him 9.30 the next morning.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

#1 - went into labor naturally, was born 12 hours after my water broke at home (no noticeable contractions before that).
#2 - induced, roughly 7 hours from the time they started pitocin.
#3 - induced, but started by breaking my water first, roughly 9.5 hours from time water was broken
#4 - induced, made it to 10 CM after 12 hours, 2 hours of pushing after that, then a C/S
#5 - went into labor naturally at home. Not sure exactly when to start the count as I had labor that petered out the day before, but she was born about 4 hours after we got to the hospital (VBAC), or 5 hours after I had my "holy crap this is really it this time" moment, LOL. I'd say about 8 hours if I counted from the time that contractions got noticeable that day.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote