Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #21
tazzae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyluna
I finished Dance with Dragons. I'm not happy with how that ended. Has anyone else finished it?
I'm about 2/3 through it. Not enjoying it as mu h as the others...I miss my favorite characters.

I just read House at Sugar Beach. A memoir about growing up in Liberia. Very timely with the conviction of Taylor. Great read.

Just started Sarah's Key.

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #22
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the love of reading group! ~JUNE~ *Join us!*

Can I join? I didn't realize this thread was here until now.

I just read the twilight series and enjoyed them much more than I thought I would. I can't wait for the last movie to come out now. I am now re-reading the Outlander series as well and am on the 2nd book.

I started the Game of Thrones series but made it halfway through the 2nd book and lost interest...

My ds1 wanted to add he is reading the third Percy Jackson book lol
Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #23
aunt_freya
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm about 1/2 way through Game of Thrones. It's slow going because I mostly read before bed and I'm so tired these days!!

In the past couple of months I finished the latest Kelly Armstrong in her YA series--The Calling-- and some books for school (boring!). I also read The Betrayal of the Blood Lily by Lauren Willig (love the series!), The Darkest Evening of the Year, the first two Fifty Shades books (had to stop--not a big fan), and The Art of Racing in the Rain, which was fantabulous. Oh, and the last Jackson Brodie mystery--Started Early, Took My Dog. That one was a tough read for me. Kate Atkinson is a great writer, but they are almost too real, IYKWIM?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #24
Katie180
Registered Users
seller

I would like to join! I am reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn right now. I am mostly enjoying it, but it has been a little slow. Next up are Miles to Go by Richard Paul Evans and The Great Gatsby. I never had to read it in school and with the movie coming out I thought it would be fun!

Tara, I read Sarah's Key recently and loved it.
Katie180 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #25
loonyluna
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2jmwjaw
Nice to see the thread back!!!

Right now I am on book 9 of the Stephanie Plum series. Really liking it.

Trying to read as many 'real' books as possible because I have way to many and want so use my Kindle more.

I am hoping to get the new Nook Glo soon. I have almost all the Sookie Stackhouse books on Nook but I no longer have a Nook.

My absolute favorite book I have read in the last few months is Sister by Rosamund Lupton. I can't wait to read the author's second book Afterwards.

So many books on my to read list right now!
I have a Nook Glo. I love it!! It's awesome for reading at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzae

I'm about 2/3 through it. Not enjoying it as mu h as the others...I miss my favorite characters.

I just read House at Sugar Beach. A memoir about growing up in Liberia. Very timely with the conviction of Taylor. Great read.

Just started Sarah's Key.
That's how I felt about book 4. The ending of 5 was a huge downer, for me at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie180
I would like to join! I am reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn right now. I am mostly enjoying it, but it has been a little slow. Next up are Miles to Go by Richard Paul Evans and The Great Gatsby. I never had to read it in school and with the movie coming out I thought it would be fun!

Tara, I read Sarah's Key recently and loved it.
The Great Gatsby is one of my favorites!
loonyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #26
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

This is a Great thread, I would love to join!

I have been trying to read more nonfiction, but this is not easy for me to do, I naturally gravitate to the fiction section. So, I've implemented a reading improvement plan for myself, which involves moving beyond my very judgmental cover assessment in the fiction section and visiting the library more often.

This is a 3 part plan, and I have to in good faith try to read the book even if I have to do so by reading it backwards and upside down:

1.) Attend the library book club, they alternate between fiction and nonfiction.

2.) Read 2 nonfiction books: 1 "how to" and 1 from the rest of the nonfiction section, historical, bibliographical etc.

3.) Plus, randomly pick 2 books from the library by closing eyes and running finger over the bookends in the new section, or sending DH to do so or having oldest DS do it.

My current book fails I think to be nonfiction or falls somewhere between two LOL! This month I have been reading about hikes and historic sites for our summer road trip, when I came across Ghosthunting Ohio. Very entertaining if a bit sensationalized with pictures of orbs and "feelings of dread". The author gets some great pictures of historic sites, and also does a run down on accommodations and dining while ghost hunting. Who knew the Cincinnati Art Museum was haunted? At least I know where not to stay with 4 ghost sensitive kiddo's... The last thing I want to deal with after a long day of travel is them overhearing somebody talking about ghosts before bedtime O.o.. that sounds far more scary than haunts!!

My "how to" is rug making. Yes, it has gotten me to wondering if I have enough fabric in my stash to make a braided rug or crocheted rug for my living room, or if I could hit up enough bag sales to get enough fabric to make one. I figure that even if I peter out after 2 feet I still have a bedside rug .

That is as far as I've gotten for June's improvement.

As for fiction, my FIL gave me some ebooks from Bujold that I've yet to read, and I'm currently reading Memory by Linda Nagata.

Everyone I know is talking about 50 Shades of Grey and Hunger Games so I'm looking forward to reading those.
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #27
Kanzan
Registered Users
Formerly: col****mama
seller

My Mood:

I started Her Fearful Symmetry but it is really awful. Such a disappointment because I loved Time Traveller's Wife. I also tried to give Outlander another try but so far still not loving it. I'm in a reading funk.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #28
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Sarah's Key - loved it on audiobook! I was a little bummed about how Sarah's story stopped, but it was still a great book.

The Art of Racing in the Rain - I keep hearing about this book and I need to add it to my library list!

katie180 - I just found A Tree Grows in Brooklyn at a garage sale for 50 cents and bought it because a lot of people have it on their top books of all time list, and I've been meaning to read it. I've heard it's a slower read though, but still very good. LMK what you think when you're done.

rumblepurr (amber) - Great goals! I have read some great non-fiction memoir type books if you're into those. My faves were the ones about going off to live on the ocean/coast, away from civilization.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #29
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of my favorite books! I read it every year! SO SO good!

Just started The Fixer Upper but it is a little too fluffy for me so it's going back to the library. I recently read The Orchid House (very good!) & The White Pearl.

Thinking about Angelina's Bachelors next.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #30
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am reading [U]Would it Kill You to Stop Doing That? A Modern Guide to Manners[/You] by Henry Alford. A light read.

I just read the first book in the Hunger Games. Probably won't bother with the rest.

I have a sample of [U]Games of Throwns[/You] on the Kindle.

I haven't read anything that I couldn't put down in a long time.