Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #31
justsamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: For the love of reading group! ~JUNE~ *Join us!*

i'll chime in.
I put my kobo down recently as I was frustrated. I just couldn't find anything that made me stop and think "that was a damn good book" & picked up crocheting.
but im missing my books so im going to load it back up tonight and set off.
i should probably finish white oleander.

Advertisement

justsamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #32
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
rumblepurr (amber) - Great goals! I have read some great non-fiction memoir type books if you're into those. My faves were the ones about going off to live on the ocean/coast, away from civilization.
That would be great if you could point me towards some good titles! Thanks
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #33
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
That would be great if you could point me towards some good titles! Thanks
Sure! Here are my most memorable/faves:

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls - memoir about her very crazy childhood
Drinking the Rain by Alix Kates Shulman - author lived in a shack on the beach and learned to live off the land there
A Trip to the Beach by Melinda Blanchard - co-authored with her husband - they moved to Anguila Island and started a restaurant there and made friends with the locals, etc
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert - I think this is non-fic, but I loved it on audio because it's narrated by the author and she reads it as it was meant. Lots of folks didn't like the book because the tone seemed too whiny, but that doesn't come through at all in audiobook (imo)
A Year by the Sea / An Unfinished Marriage / A Walk on the Beach by Joan Anderson - this trilogy was SO great. Joan left her life and went to stay on the coast in solitude for a year. Her marriage was stale, kids were grown, and she wanted to change things up. She learned a lot about herself and met a wonderful friend and mentor there. There are 3 books. The 2nd wasn't my favorite, but you'll want to def finish it up and read the 3rd. And I totally want to go to Cape Cod and meet her someday.
The Colony by John Tayman - if you haven't already read the fiction book, Moloka'i by Alan Brennert, you may want to read that first. This book is the true account of what happened with the leper colony on Moloka'i in Hawai'i in the 1800s. Very sad and incredible story.
Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser - I recommend this on audiobook only. I tried to read the book and it was very dry. Tried the audiobook and really enjoyed it. Lots of scary, freaky info about the fast food industry.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #34
Kanzan
Registered Users
Formerly: col****mama
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
I am reading [U]Would it Kill You to Stop Doing That? A Modern Guide to Manners[/You] by Henry Alford. A light read.

I just read the first book in the Hunger Games. Probably won't bother with the rest.

I have a sample of [U]Games of Throwns[/You] on the Kindle.

I haven't read anything that I couldn't put down in a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsamma View Post
i'll chime in.
I put my kobo down recently as I was frustrated. I just couldn't find anything that made me stop and think "that was a damn good book" & picked up crocheting.
but im missing my books so im going to load it back up tonight and set off.
i should probably finish white oleander.
That's exactly how I feel. I was never one to not finish a book but I've picked up some real stinkers lately.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #35
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just joined the summer reading program at the library. I have to read six books in six weeks. I am headed there today to get some books.

I am about to finish Marley and Me, such a sad book!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #36
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

I've been really lucky so far this year in reading! What about...

Jane Austen - I couldn't get into the books, but the audiobooks are fabulous!
George R.R. Martin's series - LOVE this series! I got sucked right into the world and I'm loving it. On book #4 right now, and I love they're so long so that I can savor the story lines.
The Bungalow by Sarah Jio - easy read, read it over 2 days while my DD was getting tests done in the hospital
The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart - part of a 4 book series about Merlin - really good!
Interview with the Vampire and Dracula - classic vampire books that held my attention throughout
Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks - amazing writer, also loved her Year of Wonders and March
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff - very short read, but loved it
Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier - book 1 of the Sevenwaters series. I'm reading it now and cannot put it down!
The Help - it took me long enough to pick this up but I'm so glad I did. I'm listening to it on audiobook and the narration is fantastic. It's hard to turn the car off because I just want to keep listening!

Some of my older reads that come to mind:
Moloka'i by Alan Brennert - one of my favorite books ever
Honolulu by Alan Brennert - another great book by Brennert I couldn't put down
Ireland by Frank Delaney - another one of my favorite books ever (listen to it on audio if you can!)
Three Sisters Island trilogy by Nora Roberts - I've tried other NR trilogies and couldn't get into them, but this one was awesome. I read all 3 books over 4 days. Could not put them down!
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton - loved this book and it was so complex with the different intertwining story lines.
Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel - this is book 1 of her Earth's Children series, about a prehistoric girl and the "tribe" that raised her.

And of course the Black Daggar Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward. I'm letting a friend read these now and she cannot get enough of them.

Last edited by Rainfall; 06-06-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #37
*LizziesLoops*
Registered Users
Formerly: angelami4
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh Yay! I haven't seen this thread before! I've recently started reading again since getting a Kindle Touch! LOVE IT! I've been reading almost non-stop since getting it! I recently finished the Hunger Games Trilogy. Awesome set of books! Hard on my "mother's heart" though...just thinking about what it would be like to have kids in such a world. Very interesting read though and couldn't put it down! Read all three books in 2 days! Also just finished reading Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. Another great book. It's meant to be a rendition of the book of Hosea from the Bible set during the California gold rush. It was a great read but was hard to handle at first...especially right after reading the Hunger Games! After readying thru this thread, I've got a hold placed on the Game of Thrones with my local library for the Kindle edition so I can read it. It looks really interesting ^_^ I mostly read Christian fiction...my fave authors are Angela Hunt, Lori Wick, Davis Bunn, and Janette Oke.
~Amy Eddie: Heather (1/7/2007), Mikayla (11/4/2009), an angel baby (3/29/11), and Michael Edward(3/22/12) We are now expecting baby #4 in January 2014!!!

*LizziesLoops* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #38
DillyDay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
The Help - it took me long enough to pick this up but I'm so glad I did. I'm listening to it on audiobook and the narration is fantastic. It's hard to turn the car off because I just want to keep listening!

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton - loved this book and it was so complex with the different intertwining story lines.
i love love love the help! i have to find a copy for myself! reading it was just... utterly enjoyable and the look into what people back then did and had to deal with was awesome.

i have the forgotten garden. i love that book so incredibly much. i love reading different story lines, and when it all comes together in the end. read it if you have the chance!

now to add to my list again

Triumph by Carolyn Jessup her second book. and reading about the big raid of the YFZ ranch in texas (the flds one) and her view point of what they did wrong with it and how they should have gone about it. a good follow up to Escape her first book.
For The Win by Corey Doctorow this one is slightly scifi-ish but not really. it';s about the gold farmers in different games rebelling against their bosses and trying to get a world wide union in place. and the different reprocussions of doing such a thing.
the White Mare by Jules Watson, and the Dawn Stag. currently looking for the 3rd book, the Boar Stone. follows a woman in her trials of coping with a rather dark past in the time of roman invasions. and her husband trying to get back to his land to take back the throne from his uncle who ousted him from it in a battle.

oh oh! if your looking for HARDCORE SCIFI like read it and it makes you shutter kinda sci-fi books. starfish/maelstrom/behemoth, blindsight, and peter watts other stories are good. blightsight : The novel has been described by Charles Stross thus: "Imagine a neurobiology-obsessed version of Greg Egan writing a first contact with aliens story from the point of view of a zombie posthuman crewman aboard a starship captained by a vampire, with not dying as the boobie prize."
DillyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #39
rtmezz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hello,
I am a fantasy person all the way and Rainfall the Sevenwaters Series is one of my favorites.

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE Anne Bishop. She has several series that I couldn't put down including her Black Jewels Trilogy and her Tir Alainn books.

I have the Game of Thrones Series book 1-4 but have not started it. I also have the Hunger Games on Kindle, have not started that.

My Kindle book is one of the Five Hundred Kingdoms/Godmother series, The Sleeping Beauty. I have read the 4 prior books and look forward to the next one.

The paperback on my night stand is the second 50 Shades book. I throuroughly enjoyed the 1st in the series but have significantly slowed down. I will finish it because that is what I do. Once started it has to be finished!!

The one next in line is Urban Shaman by C.E Murphy. I am a member of the B&N club and will purchase a book whenever they send me a coupon for 20%.

I also am an avid paperbackswapper with paperbackswap.com. LOVE IT, Where was this all of my life.

I try to set goals for myself where I will not pick out another/purchase another book until I have read what is on my bookshelf or so many books then something just happens. Especially when I do not have to spend money to get another one. T

They are like Cats/Potato Chips/etc... One can never have just one or Too many.
rtmezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #40
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmezz View Post
Hello,
I am a fantasy person all the way and Rainfall the Sevenwaters Series is one of my favorites.

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE Anne Bishop. She has several series that I couldn't put down including her Black Jewels Trilogy and her Tir Alainn books.

I have the Game of Thrones Series book 1-4 but have not started it. I also have the Hunger Games on Kindle, have not started that.

My Kindle book is one of the Five Hundred Kingdoms/Godmother series, The Sleeping Beauty. I have read the 4 prior books and look forward to the next one.

The paperback on my night stand is the second 50 Shades book. I throuroughly enjoyed the 1st in the series but have significantly slowed down. I will finish it because that is what I do. Once started it has to be finished!!

The one next in line is Urban Shaman by C.E Murphy. I am a member of the B&N club and will purchase a book whenever they send me a coupon for 20%.

I also am an avid paperbackswapper with paperbackswap.com. LOVE IT, Where was this all of my life.

I try to set goals for myself where I will not pick out another/purchase another book until I have read what is on my bookshelf or so many books then something just happens. Especially when I do not have to spend money to get another one. T

They are like Cats/Potato Chips/etc... One can never have just one or Too many.
Hey! Look me up on PBS! My s/n there is the same as here (Rainfall). I loooove it there!! My bookshelves sure suffer for it though, lol! I joined and had about 35 books to clear out and now have over 200. OOPS! Hahaha!!

Putting some of these rec's on my list, thanks! Especially the Godmother series. I keep hearing about those and forget to write it down. There's another spinoff series (Outlaw Chronicles) that get a lot of raves that're based on the Robin Hood legend, and I think the first one is Outlaw. Have you checked those out?