Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #21
lissa~K
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Uterine Rupture in 1st & 2nd stage of labor stats???

Forgive if I missed that someone else might have posted this, but have you checked out the ICAN network?

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #22
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM6755 View Post

I do not understand why you assume I do not want to know risks, when I have stated precisely that I have submersed myself in research and am very interested in the risks.
-->
Quote:
I am not looking for someone to calculate my specific risk factors...just looking for some intelligent conversation and dialogue about an issue many women face.
It just seemed like you wanted opinions and not specifics. Seems this thread definitely got a little hormonal. I think everyone who has responded has just been trying to help from the getgo. Many of us have done lots of research and know how it is to be at the early stages of discovering all that is VBAC! Noones trying to hurt feelings or point fingers, just want to give information
Old 06-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #23
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here is my advise....

Decide NOW if you want a vbac or repeat. I believe you need to not only prepare for a vbac by finding supportive Dr and hospital but also mentally. I tried for a vbac with my 2nd. I wasn't prepared as I thought. Once I got to 38 weeks I was done being pregnant and just wanted a cs so I could meet my new baby. I ended up sticking it out and at 39 weeks 5 days I ended up with a repeat before labor even started due to low fluid.

Im now 38 weeks again and came into this pregnancy with a different view. A c/s isn't an option. I 100% trust my midwife and if she suggested a c/s I know it would be because it was the best choice. I just feel like making the decision so late isn't a good idea.

The few things that have stuck out to me in my research is the risk of historectomy with each csection. I don't remember the exact numbers now. Also read somewhere(can't remember now where) that you're less likely to rupture if you were dialted much during your csection. The reason for this is the placement of the scar on your uterus.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #24
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the above that you should just make a decision about what you want. Half in and half out makes no logical sense. Yes, babies do better when your body goes into labor naturally because they have a warning. They know birth is coming and will not be as stunned when they are yanked out in C/S. You can always wait to go into labor, then go to the hospital to have a c/s if your concerned about a VBAC. But, you will have a hard time finding a doctor who would let you labor for hours at the hospital just for the sake of laboring.

I just had my second C/S 3 weeks ago and although, not ideal, it was still amazing to experience the birth of my child. I think it's all about perspective. A C/S for me, was no big deal.

I hope you get the birth you want! Good luck
Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #25
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I have researched the stats to death...
UR .4% - .8% depending on where you read it
Maternal death w/csect: 5%
These are the two main (high) risks I am concerned with...yes, I am concerned about birth injuries, cutting baby, etc....I am saying these are the two factors that seem to have control over the scale...
Where did you find a c-section death rate of 5%? That is way off. 1 in every 20 women is not dying from c-sections.

The last figures I saw were 20 in 100,000 which is a rate of .02% which is significantly less than the potential for uterine rupture.

That means that 1 in 5000 c-sections
as opposed to between 1 in 250 to 1 in 125 with uterine ruptures

That is a huge difference.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #26
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just had a VBAC in March. Like a prior poster I think you just need to decide. Having a VBAC is better according to all research I have done and is also hard work. You need to get there mentally, physically and find a truly supportive provider. I recommend a midwife vs. OB.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #27
Mpony
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with needing to decide as well. I had our baby girl all natural, Vbac this January, and actually ended up switching OB's at about 8 months to have a more supportive doctor and hospital. I wanted to know that if I ended up with another c/s that it was absolutely necessary and not just because my doctor thought my odds were low (his response had been, "Sure we will let you try, but you only have about a 40% chance of being successful." It was a hospital vbac to calm some of my dh's fears, but we had an amazing doula and labored for the most part at home. To me the various risks associated with c/s were much greater overall that of uterine rupture. I had also developed an infection and had a horrible recovery from my first c/s.

A doula is common even with a c/s though and if that had happened she would have stayed with me while dh was with the baby. I <3 doulas and wish I had known about them back when ds was born.
Mpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #28
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
The few things that have stuck out to me in my research is the risk of historectomy with each csection. I don't remember the exact numbers now. Also read somewhere(can't remember now where) that you're less likely to rupture if you were dialted much during your csection. The reason for this is the placement of the scar on your uterus.
The NIH put out the stats on hysterectomys. I did a quick search, i thought it was in my favorites but it wasn't. Pretty sure its:

3+ C's = 4.8% risk for hyst
4+ C's = 9.9% risk for hyst
Old 06-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #29
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks to everyone who commented!
As far as the incorrect stats for MatDeath I went to bed instead of looking up the right figure and correcting it. I realize that a few ppl have brought that to my attention...as soon as I get enough time to dive back in today I will correct it, unless someone else beats me to it. Not ignoring it, just prioritizing today...lot's to do this week during the day.

I see the flaw in my original 'theory' with laboring then going to c/s from several of the comments. I initially thought this would be like having my cake and eating it too, y'know satisfying both DH and my desires while not compromising safety of the baby or myself.

To the poster who supplied the stats on hysterectomy, I will look up the stats on the 2 c/s and see what those risks are since this is my 2nd birth, I appreciate you looking it up, thanks!

I am still not sure which avenue to take. Like I said, this is a fact finding mission as much as it is an opportunity to gain perspectives from others and start a good convo.

If I do a VBAC it will have to be in a hospital due to the fact that the closest birth center is over an hour away. I realize many women have driven farther while in labor, this is not an appealing idea/option for me. I also know this will make DH feel more at ease. I do not mind the extra few days in the hospital either. I am very confident in my family's ability to carry on in my absence...they have been trained well...LOL!!!

At the moment I feel that preparing for a VBAC and accepting the possibility of a c/s has it's definite pro's and con's. I am thoughtful of the possibility that if I have a failed VBAC or scheduled c/s due to medical reasons I may feel more depressed if I have spent so much effort in reaching that goal. On the other hand, I will not be successful with a VBAC if I do not fully prepare...so that being said, I have much thinking and considering to do, as well as a handful of questions to ask OB this Friday.

I will get to correcting the stats tonight sometime. Thanks again. CM
Old 06-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #30
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It depends on he hospital as to whether a doula is allowed to be with the patient during a c-section. At our local hospitals they are not allowed, although a couple of doulas have attended a c-section just because they have a good relationship with one of the doctors. So it really depends on the doula and the hospital. My first client had a c-section and I wasn't allowed even into the recovery room