Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Planning to nurse with PCOS & Hypothyroid...what do I need to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne_josh View Post
I have both and, while this isn't the norm, the hormonal imbalance for me causes an oversupply of milk. Which, admittedly, is a better problem to have than a low supply.

DS1 and I had a very rough start because he was deep suctioned after birth. His mouth hurt. Also, I have flat nipples (did not know until trying to BF him) and he couldn't latch. We used a nipple shield for six weeks. I owe my success to my lactation consultant and nipple shields. Kellymom.com is also awesome. DS2, though early and sleepy, was easier--the supplemental nurser really does work. It's a pain, but worth it.

I am not up on the current recommendation, but was told with both kids that metformin while breastfeeding isn't recommended, particularly if exclusively BF.

If there's any question about supply and baby's weight, you need to monitor that carefully. We went for weigh-ins every 48 hours with ds1 because he lost too much weight; he wasn't getting anything because he couldn't latch and we were both a wreck. I did have to supplement, and if you have to it's not the end of the world--just don't use a bottle. We used a syringe to feed formula and/or expressed breast milk. It killed me to have to buy Enfamil but it was only for a short time and, well, the baby has to eat. Don't feel like you've failed if you have to supplement. I had to with both kids, and ds1 nursed for four years (ds2 is 20 months and shows no sign of weaning). They both use/d pacifiers as well, though I would avoid that until your baby shows that he/she can latch well.

Good luck!

Edit: also, you did not fail with your older child--you did your best! Be proud of that.
Thank you for your support I'm trying to be hopeful that this time things will go well because I have so many more people on my side.

Advertisement

MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote