Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #41
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have kids 15-18 months apart? Pics? Advice?

Well, personally, I think having them closer together is the secret in easy parenting. Yep, I said easy. I have 5 kids. They are 16mth, 12 mth, 13 mths and then 19 mths apart. I like to observe and I notice the difficulty my friends have even when their kids are only 2 years apart. You have a lot more needy kids as it will probably be until the oldest is 6 and the next one 4 before they can really really play together. Sure a 4 yo and 2 yo can play together, mine do right now. But not in the same way as when they are 4 and 3. Anyways, my kids have built in play mates. Also, I think becaue they were so young when they got a younger sibling, the jealousy thing just isn't there. They also learn to be more independent (in a healthy way) because mom can't be there every second. Sure there were crazy times. I had 3 in diapers for 3 years. I had many times with 3 screaming kids. I remember sliding down my stairs, very pregnant, with one child on each knee. I was a sight. But now.... I seriously don't know what to do with myself most days (well besides cleaning and just being with them but they aren't nagging me for things, stuff like that). They are all super great, well behaved, compassionate kids. There might be other reasons for that, but I think having siblings close in age plays a part in that.

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #42
mrs_blazen
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine are 17 months apart. There are times where I'm uber stressed and just want to nap, but I assume it's probably like that with any age gap. They really love each other and play very well together most of the time.

Here they are not long after we brought DD home from the hospital. Tyler was 17.5 months and Emma was probably a couple weeks old.

Here Emma is 2 months, so that would make Ty around 19 months. He LOVED kissing her hands when she was a baby.

This is right when we moved to CA so Emma was almost 7 months and Ty had just turned 2. Don't mind the huge bruise on his face. He had a run in with an exercise bike.

I took this one just a couple of weeks ago. They were snuggled on the couch watching Lion King.

I love it how far apart they are, but I don't really know any different. I can't wait to see how they are when they are a little older. We didn't plan it this way, but wouldn't change it for anything!!
mrs_blazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #43
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My sister and I were 18 months apart. We were just one grade apart in school. She's still my best bud. We fought a lot, sure. I remember my mom putting us in "time out" on the couch together until we were ready to make nice. Worked like a charm.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #44
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

DD and DS are 19 months apart. I love it! They are very close in size now and look identical! They play so well together. It is a little hard to get adjusted. DD has always been very stubborn so when DS was born she would throw tantrums at the worst possible times - like in the parking lot at the grocery store lol. Now that they are a little older (3 and 2) they are much easier to handle. Watching them play is really cute!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #45
Reuben Christopher
Registered Users
Formerly: unbreakableangel
seller

My Mood:

Dd and ds2 are 11 months apart. She was a needy strong willed mama's girl of a baby and I get sick when I am pregnant so the pregnancy was super hard. Luckily my family lived local and once or so a week they would come over and give me a break. Once ds2 was born dd didn't like him in my lap and whatnot and didn't really realize he was a baby and fragile. She didn't hit him, she really just ignored him unless I had to do something with him and she wanted mama. The first 6 months where really hard. After that it wasn't as bad and now that we are well past the 1 yr mark it has gotten much much easier and she is bonding with him. With ds1 going to school this fall I am hoping they bond even more. She will try to play with him but ds1 usually makes her play with him instead (he is an attention hog) so they aren't as close as they could be. We want to wait until Ds2 is 2 1/2 or 3 until we have another baby and we want the next 2 to have an 18M-2yr gap. Ds1 is about 2 1/2 yrs older than dd and other than having jealousy issues (going from only child-not spoiled but lots of attention from Mom/Grandma/Dad-to having a needy baby sister did not sit well with him) for the first year or so they are great. They sit together to play, she sits next to him at church, they snuggle together to watch tv. I think she and ds2 will get there they just need some one on one and they don't really get that right now.

Here is a pic of all 3 of them last month. I didn't hear them playing so I checked on them and they where all snuggled up in the recliner listening to Jack Johnson

ISO/IHA!
Reuben Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #46
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Mine are 14m apart. It.was.rough. the first year, and sometimes now. In fairness, ODS is the most demanding kid I've ever seen. I think it likely would have gone smoother if I had yds first (more average temperament). And for me and my glued-at-the-hip hubby, the first year is really hard. Having back to back infants made it hard to stay connected, have sex as often as we like, etc. I do love that they can okay together and have similar interests. They can share clothes/toys/carseats/etc, which is convenient as well.

I wouldn't purposely repeat this spacing. I'd love to try 2-2.5 year spacing, but ODS will be 2 in August and we are waiting a few more months to ttc our 3rd (and likely last) baby.

Around Christmas time...

Last edited by joeslittlewoman; 06-05-2012 at 03:53 PM.
joeslittlewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #47
Fusion
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mine are 18 months apart and it has been a lot easier than I thought it would be. DS loves the baby and they both have good temperaments. We'll be shooting for a 2 year spacing for the next one just to avoid a summer pregnancy.
Here they are at 2 mo and 20 mo

Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #48
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS is 3.5 and DD is 3 months. While he didn't seem to have any jealousy issues, he hasn't really 'bonded' with her. He does his own thing (which makes taking care of her easy), but he has no interest in her. Maybe it will change later on, but maybe not. Because they are so far apart, he is just in a totally different world and has 'moved on' from the baby stage. I'm hoping having the next one closer in age will make playmates and have the kids be closer.
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #49
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OH.MY.GOSH.... all these pictures are SOOOO adorable!!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #50
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Has anyone had difficulty with the shorter spacing... and a fussy baby?

DS was colicy, and it was literally a NIGHTMARE. DD sleeps right through the night at barely 3 months old, and is a complete doll. But I wonder if #3 will be more difficult, or more like DD. It scares me, because if the baby was really fussy, it would take away time with both kids. However, I really feel like the reason DD is so much easier, is because we know more. We know how to burp better, feed better, change formulas, nurse better, keep her happy longer, etc. I think that played a huge part.