Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weekly chat, week of June 4th

Martha - praying

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
pkaskaggs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mo-you probably already know this but be sure to take frequent breaks on your road trips to prevent blood clots this latein pregnancy. My midwife suggested stopping every hour which is laughable cuz when I take a trip w/ my kids, our stops are few and far between.

Martha-I read your post on fb and you have been on my mind since. It is so hard for us to understand why things like happen. I will be praying for your family and for the health of you and your baby. Keep us posted.
pkaskaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #13
mommato4kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Martha-Praying for you and your family. I know these next few days are going to seem agonizing. So sorry mama. You have been constantly on my heart. Prayers are going up all day.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #14
jakeysmama
Registered Users
seller

Martha I am praying for you. ((HUGS)) As for the breastfeeding...when I was pregnant with DS, I knew immediately I wanted to bf him. He was born, latched on and it was magical. Until a few days later when he had horrible jaundice and I still had no milk and no choice but to supplement. A week later, after trying everything, I still had no milk. Not even a drop! All my plans to breastfeed went out the window and I was heartbroken. But I had no choice but to move past. While I realize your situation is vastly different, I can tell you I understand the pain of not being able to bf and nurture your LO as planned. In the end, I made sure that feeding time was still a special time just for him and I-no sharing baby and bottles, feeding was mommy's time with baby. My thoughts are with you. Please know we are all here for you!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #15
marthathecakelady
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeysmama View Post
Martha I am praying for you. ((HUGS)) As for the breastfeeding...when I was pregnant with DS, I knew immediately I wanted to bf him. He was born, latched on and it was magical. Until a few days later when he had horrible jaundice and I still had no milk and no choice but to supplement. A week later, after trying everything, I still had no milk. Not even a drop! All my plans to breastfeed went out the window and I was heartbroken. But I had no choice but to move past. While I realize your situation is vastly different, I can tell you I understand the pain of not being able to bf and nurture your LO as planned. In the end, I made sure that feeding time was still a special time just for him and I-no sharing baby and bottles, feeding was mommy's time with baby. My thoughts are with you. Please know we are all here for you!

Thank you Sarah. I think that was the best and most comforting thing yet. Most people just look at me like I am crazy when I try to express the emotions of not being able to even let him try to latch on or say things like "baby needs you more than breast milk" or "formula feeding is just fine". I know all that and agree but still.....

so thanks for sharing your story.

My facebook "fan" page
marthathecakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
chach4
Registered Users
seller

Martha, that is horrible, I'm so sorry u are going through this. While I haven't been in a similar situation, i think id feel the same major dissapointment with breastfeeding. U and ur family and babe will be in my prayers.
chach4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for the tip on frequent stops in the car- I forgot about that.

Martha- You will be in my prayers!!! I, too, would need to mourn the loss of bf if I were in your shoes. It is a grieving process, for sure. A df of mine gave birth 8 weeks ago to a very, very sick and weak baby and she is really mourning the loss of bf with him.

Do you have the Baby Book by Dr. Sears? Personally, I loved the chapter on "nursing" your bottlefed baby. It's all about how to simulate the closeness and skin to skin, always have mom feed baby, switching sides, etc etc. Also, new research does show that moms who bottlefeed as if they were bf, like Dr. Sears has long suggested, have much higher levels of mothering hormones (more similar to the hormone profile of bf moms) than moms who bottlefeed the way most moms do in our culture. I know that probably won't help you today because you are naturally very sad, but I found it empowering when I was dealing with milk supply issues with my dd, and maybe it would make you feel empowered too a little further down the road. When the disappointment is not so raw.

Also, your avi picture is gorgeous.

Last edited by momomom; 06-05-2012 at 07:37 PM.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #18
mommato4kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Martha-my second dd was born early (28 weeks) and very very sick. I pumped every 2 hours (literally) for the 90 days she was in the NICU. We worked on her latching over and over. She came home and I worked with her a LOT. She finally latched but then at her liver appointment the liver doc said that b/c her liver was so bad that she needed to go onto special formula made for babies with liver problems. I had to stop breastfeeding my little preemie who I had worked so hard to get her to breastfeed. I remember standing in my kitchen filling the bottle with formula and sobbing. I was heart broken. I completely understand what you're saying. It IS a grieving process. Let yourself grieve mama.

continuing to pray for you!
Old 06-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #19
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with everyone else about the bfing, martha. If it comes down to that, it is def something to let yourself grieve over. I
Would
Feel
The
Same way.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #20
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are off at 4 am to house hunt in Omaha. I am super nervous and praying for peace. Hope you all have a great rest of the week.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote