Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Low iron = utter exhaustion??

This is my 4th pregnancy. I've never had low iron. I'm wondering if I do this time. I am totally and completely exhausted. I mean, I can barely function. I'm 21wks. This started a couple weeks ago and hasn't let up. I know every pregnancy is different, but this is ridiculous. Hence, me thinking maybe my iron is low this time.

I have an appt next Tuesday and I'm going to ask for a blood test. But, before that, is there anything I can or should do? Should I go ahead and start some OTC iron? What can I eat that has iron in it? I think steak does. Does ground beef? Any veggies?? I'm thinking spinach???

Any BTDT advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Low iron = utter exhaustion??

I always have to take an iron supplement on top of my prenatals because I am always borderline anemic and I get really anemic during pregnancy. Yes it makes you feel completely drained. For me it gets so bad that I will black out just walking around the grocery store.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
I always have to take an iron supplement on top of my prenatals because I am always borderline anemic and I get really anemic during pregnancy. Yes it makes you feel completely drained. For me it gets so bad that I will black out just walking around the grocery store.
Nothing like that has happened, but that is how I feel. I feel like I could just pass out. It is very frustrating. I have 5 little kids to take care of and I can hardly get dinner made most nights. It did just occur to me that I've been craving beef and earlier in my pregnancy I was craving spinach. Makes sense now! Well, we will see if it makes sense.

I'm a little tempted to call tomorrow and see if I can just go in for a blood test before my appt next week. That way they will already have the results when I get there.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
meldo
Registered Users
seller
seller

First off, congrats on your pregnancy! I didn't know!

As for anemia, yes it makes you feel completely exhausted, light headed, etc. I haven't had problems during pregnancy but am always borderline anemic. I'm usually barely able to give blood and have actually been denied once because my iron wasn't high enough. When I got my period back after nursing DD for 22 months it came back with a vengeance and I was bleeding heavily during my cycle and having a mini period in between. I was feeling horrible and finally connected the dots. An iron supplement worked for me then. You would probably also want to take a stool softener as iron is constipating. The pharmacist also told me to take vitamin c with the iron. I didn't ask why. Maybe helps it absorb better? I don't know but I figured it couldn't hurt. You'd probably want to check with your OB before taking all that though!

I'm typing on my iPhone, sorry.
Most likely nak!
meldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Get some Floradix! It was a lifesaver for me! I went from barely staying awake to functioning pretty quickly.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
2beauties
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't get my second trimester boost this time until like 24 weeks and now I am fine! So it could be both, but floradix is awesome.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
Get some Floradix! It was a lifesaver for me! I went from barely staying awake to functioning pretty quickly.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beauties View Post
I didn't get my second trimester boost this time until like 24 weeks and now I am fine! So it could be both, but floradix is awesome.
Thirding the Floradix, it is amazing!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

They can usually just do a finger poke to test iron and gets the results in like a minute. I would go do it and get on something asap. I understand the not being able to care for the kids. I am useless when my iron is low.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All red meat has iron. So you can go there. I had really low iron levels with the triplets and even had a iron infusion (when I gave birth to them they though I would need an infusion of blood but they were sucking it all out of me and I didn't).

You could also be dehydrated. I got like that when I was dehydrated once.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

sweet potatoes really helped with DS's iron levels when he was little