Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Wetnurse - Opinions

What do you think about breastfeeding someone else's baby or having someone else breastfeed your baby? I'm think it's something that could be beneficial occasionally, like for a new mom who is tired or having trouble breastfeeding and needs a break to have a family member or friend breastfeed the baby. I wonder if in other countries this is common. I'd totally do it but I don't think I'd offer as I think most people would find it weird.

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
darci
Registered Users
seller

Re: Wetnurse - Opinions

I'd be fine with feeding someone else's baby or someone I knew feeding mine. I would have preferred a friend feed DD instead of her getting formula in the hospital. However, I don't know how to bring that sort of thing up, as many people would be uncomfortable with the idea.
darci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I couldnt-nurse another baby or have someone nurse mine. Dh would flip out if I even suggested it. On the other hand, if it was to save the babys life then I'd do it in a heart beat.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would nurse someone else's baby. I wouldn't have someone nurse mine unless it was a true need. Not for a break or anything like that.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I think they're fine as long as you know them and they're not like drinking or doing drugs. But you can get breastmilk tested for things to make sure it's safe.

I would worry a little about it affecting a mom's supply if she was just doing it for sleep issues.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, I have no problem with others doing it (especially when it's a baby in need of BM, and the mom is having trouble or is unable to nurse!) but I would not be comfortable with it myself. I think it would feel awkward to nurse someone elses baby - like I would be cheating on my own babies It's just such a personal, intimate experience. I would have no problem pumping and letting another baby drink my milk, or letting my kids consume donated milk.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandni3 View Post
What do you think about breastfeeding someone else's baby or having someone else breastfeed your baby? I'm think it's something that could be beneficial occasionally, like for a new mom who is tired or having trouble breastfeeding and needs a break to have a family member or friend breastfeed the baby. I wonder if in other countries this is common. I'd totally do it but I don't think I'd offer as I think most people would find it weird.
I agree, I'd love to do it but it would be awkward to bring up. I think it could be really beneficial if two breastfeeding moms wanted to babysit for eachother. My DS won't take a bottle so the only way I can be away from him is in between feedings.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
breanne_roz
Registered Users
seller

I would be comfortable with it (me nursing or my baby being nursed). I have actually had this discussion with a couple of close friends. I can't imagine a stranger nursing my baby, but I'd be 100% comfortable with a couple of my very close friends doing it. I know they are healthy, don't do drugs etc. I would also have no problem doing the same for them. None of us have ever had breastfed babies at the same time, but perhaps one day it will happen!
breanne_roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would be fine with it either way assuming I knew the person well and trusted them. Neither seems strange to me. In fact, my mom nursed someone else's child at least once when we were little. She was still nursing a baby (don't remember which of us), and she was babysitting another nursing child for a couple of days. The mom had sent bottles but the baby was inconsolable no matter what she tried. She was in the church nursery and another mom said, "You know what he wants, just nurse him!" She did it and instantly calmed the baby.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

I'd be fine feeding someone else's baby. Husband wouldn't mind either. As for someone feeding mine-I'd probably be Ralph's but if there was a legitimate need then it's be fine.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote