Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I would not personally feel comfortable with my dd being nursed by someone else. I don't know that I'd feel comfortable nursing another baby. Like a pp said, it's so intimate that I'd almost feel like I was cheating my baby.

I have however pumped and SIL used it for my nephew when her supply diminished while nursing through during third second pregnancy. That didn't bother me at all. My DS wasn't using it.

Advertisement

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Wetnurse - Opinions

I would love to nurse a baby whose mama cant nurse it(for whatever reasons) but I wouldnt be comfy with my baby nursing from someone else. Maybe Im jealous of the bond that will develop between them..like the absolute contentment that my baby gets as soon as it latches, I'll be sad that it derives that from some other mama!
Old 06-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

DP

Last edited by Bhavana; 06-04-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: DP
Bhavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
I've nursed 2 babies besides my own (my nephew and a friends baby) as well as donated milk to about a dozen others. So I obviously have no problem with it. I've never been in a situation where anyone has needed to or been able to nurse my children, but it wouldn't bother me.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think I'd be jealous of that bond from nursing, but I'd have no problems sharing breastmilk. In fact, another DS mom shipped me her breastmilk for months for DD after I stopped pumping and realized she was allergic to milk. It's too hard to restart induced lactation and I wasn't pumping enough for her and my frozen supply was gone.

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Definitely not for me. I wouldn't want someone else nursing my babies and I wouldn't nurse someone else's. I'd opt for formula first, no hesitation. I think it is different if you're talking milk banking though. I'd donate milk to a NICU milk bank even though I wouldn't nurse another baby. I just don't like the idea of unscreened milk - I remember seeing a serological survey of women donating to a milk bank and the number of potential donors who had communicable disease (HepB, HIV, syphilis) and didn't know it was scary. Not worth the risk without screening.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I shared breastmilk with my nephew when my SIL wasn't producing enough. At first my brother thought it was weird but we told him its not like I was actually nursing the kid, LOL. DH volunteered my extra colostrum at the hospital when DD was born. I had to pump and syringe feed DD and was filling the 2oz containers with no problem. The nurse remarked how it was liquid gold and that there were babies in the nursery who could use it, but that she doubted the hospital would allow it.

I would nurse someone's baby if it were an extreme situation where they couldn't nurse and the baby really needed breastmilk instead of formula. I'd want someone to nurse my child in the same situation. But not for general, every day feedings.
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly I wish we had a more open society to it. I would have loved to leave my babe with a trusted friend to go grocery shopping or for a date with dh without having to pump. I wouldn't have an issue feeding another baby or another mama feeding mine. Breast feeding is good for bonding but it doesn't feel exclusively intimate to me.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #19
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I nursed my nephew when he was a few months old. My sister had to go back to work and was just barely pumping enough each day to keep up. We had talked about it before hand as I had a nursing toddler and we both were ok with it. Sure enough one day I didn't have enough pumped milk for him so I just nursed him. It was a little odd but not enough that I didn't want to.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #20
okiemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
my friend gave me her extra milk for my dd if anything it made my friend and I closer and my dd and I closer because I knew I was giving her the best even if I couldn't provide it myself .... I would have allowed her to actually nurse but dd was well over a year old and didn't know how to latch so that wasn't an option I've literally known this friend since she was born (I was born may 10th she was born may 31st) our moms were good friends while they were pregnant with us and in out childhood so its safe to say I knew her pretty well lol