Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Gluten free on a budget

My five year old has been put on a gluten free diet, which, for her is extremely difficult. I need some fun gluten free ideas that aren't too costly to make. Anything is appreciated!

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Re: Gluten free on a budget

My 3 (almost 4!) year old DD has been for about a year and a half. Now, she is also dairy, egg and nut free too, so that adds a bit more to it.

Are there any other restrictions, or just gluten? What types of things does she enjoy now?

One of our biggest hurdles was bread...at first I tried to sub in GF versions, but none were even close to the real thing so I stopped feeding bread entirely and she eventually forgot about it. Instead I made GF pancakes, waffles, biscuits or pizza dough. She loves rice so that is a good side dish, or potatoes - mashed, roasted or fries. GF rice pasta is actually not too bad as long as it is in some sauce.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Right now, we are dye free and dairy free. She loves anything with smoked salmon or fish. We do lots of berries and almond biscuits, but we need to find a bread alternative.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
hcarli
Registered Users
seller
seller

We were just told today to cut gluten and dairy for DS. My mom has been gluten free for about 10 years though so we're familiar with it at least.

I don't have any good suggestions at this timeto make it less expensive.

Udi's bread is really good, Tinkyada pasta is really good, and Pamela's mixes are some of the best we've found..
hcarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Awesome that she loves fish...one of my DD's does, but not the other!

I tried this bread recipe once, but because I can't use eggs it didn't rise well at all, but it was very tasty anyways!

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.ca...ree-bread.html
Old 06-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

There are lots of GF things out there that taste good, but the specialty stuff (that is actually good) is very high. The pasta is one of the cheaper options that's not too bad. What does your kiddo like now? That would influence what I would recommend. But as far as budget, I think the best thing is to plan meals that are naturally gluten free. Dried beans, white or brown rice, fruits and veggies, and the like. Some of our favs that are naturally GF are chili (depends on how you make it!), tacos (made with McKormic--not spelled right!, brand seasoning) potato soup, eggs, pretty much anything with cheese. My girls all time favorite bread is the mix by Gluten Free Pantry. Most of their stuff is pretty good. Pamela's brand makes good pancakes. I know this is rather vauge and probably not that helpful....feel free to ask whatever though, I've got a 4.5 YO and a 2.5 YO on GF diets. If you tell us what he (or she?) likes now, that may help us to get you pointed in the right direction. Oh--cereal! Rice Crispies makes a brown rice version that is GF, and Chex has Honey Chex, Choc. Chex, Rice Chex, Corn Chex and Cinnamon Chex that is GF. Fruity Pebbles, (and I think some of the other flinstone ones...) What 5 YO doesn't love sugary cereal. Maybe not ideal food, but will certainly help win him over for GF and will help you save your sanity while you're learning to adjust to the new diet. Also fruit roll ups and most fruit snacks. Raisins are cheap. Sorry, I'll quit now, I know I'm just rambling anyway...
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sorry, I was typing my long, drawn out reply while you posted the fish thing. Grilled chicken maybe? I don't have dye free ideas because I have no experience there. I have no personal experience with dairy free either, but I've noticed a lot of my GF stuff is also labeled dairy free.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My lo is allergic to milk, wheat, soy, tomato, ana to bananas and also having reaction to Bushes baked beans, scrambled eggs, & sweet potatoes She hasn't had alot of foods yet so we shall see what else adds to the list unfort. Anyway becuase of the wheat everything says GF on it for us. I BF her so I stick to the diet myself. GF rice crispys are a winner here, corn macoroni i add a little coconut oil while boiling them & it's yummy. Corn speg noodles are good too. We eat alot of potatoes here. Baked potatoes are cheap by the bag. Grilled chicken, eggs are cheap, white rice is cheap too. It's a little easier for me since my lo is only 13.5months old so she doesnt really know the difference. cherry kitchen has a yummy pancake mix with coconut milk is so sweet tasting. yummy.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #9
kjo
Registered Users
Formerly: kjwa***n
seller

We are gluten, soy, dairy, and sugar free and one of my kids has a corn allergy. I don't buy bread alternatives...typically I will do fresh fruit, veggies, and a protein. I use Applegate hot dogs which they love and it's a simple lunch. If they want cereal we do Arrowhead Mills puffed brown rice cereal with unsweetened coconut milk, sometimes we add blueberries. I do buy an allergen free ranch dip and we do lots of fresh veggies with dip, cucumbers are a big favorite. I do a lot of baking from scratch, no mixes b/c they typically have sugar. Almost all of my recipes for baked goods come from elanaspantry.com. The pumpkin bread (which I make into muffins) is awesome...my kids eat a TON of it. We went cold turkey with these changes and I found if it wasn't in the house they didn't miss it. If we are going to be at a party or school function with special snacks I'll make something special like a coconut flour cupcake. For my son that doesn't have a corn allergy I make organic popcorn from scratch with coconut oil and typically add salt and pepper. I usually send popcorn as a snack for church and school b/c he loves it so much. I think the biggest thing is to set the example...you follow the diet as well. Now my kids know if they ask for a snack I'll say they can have a fruit or vegetable and so they'll automatically ask for a healthy choice. It's been much easier than I expected but there aren't any other options in the house so if they are hungry they must choose a healthy food.
kjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Gluten free isn't too bad if you keep it simple. We don't do any alternative breads. We occassionaly have gf buiscuits or pizza dough. Quinoa pasta is our fave pasta. We just do hunks of meat, veggies, fruit, and then rice/pasta/potato. I actually spend less money on groceries now because I don't buy much premade stuff at all. We do have some gluten free nuggets. I made my own a couple of time but with all the ingredients you have to keep on hand I decided to just buy them. A celiac friend bought all my weird flours from me