Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

VBAC Mamas

I'd like to hear from any of your VBAC mamas or aspiring VBAC mamas.

My children will be 16 months apart.

My first was born via an emergency C-Section. For the first 7 months of this pregnancy, my midwife advised I need to go for a repeat C-Section because my babies will be less than 18 months apart. (I'm not sure where the magical time frame of 18 months comes from.)

However, I was recently told by a doctor in the same practice that having a baby via VBAC at 14 months after 1 C-Section is equivalent to a VBAC after 2 C-Sections.

At my prenatal appointment last week, a different doctor reviewed my surgical notes from the Cesarean & advised that based upon the baby's placement (she was in the "right" position when they opened me up to take her out) and the type of incision I have that I am a candidate for TOLAC (Trial of Labor After Cesarean). Additionally, this doctor advised that my chance of a successful vaginal birth with spontaneous labor would be higher with a 80% success rate vs. the induction which has a 50% chance of a C-Section. (FYI: I agreed to an induction because my baby was almost 2 weeks late.) This doctor brought my case to the entire group of doctors in the practice (it's a large practice of doctors & certified nurse midwives) and was able to obtain consensus from the group. So the good news is that all the doctors agree I would be allowed to attempt a vaginal delivery. Hooray!

I will talk more to the doctor who delivered my C-Section baby in the coming weeks during my prenatal visits.

However, I'm wondering if I should hold out past my estimated due date to attempt a VBAC. At the present time, I'm trying to evaluate if I should schedule a repeat C-Section as close to my due date as possible & then attempt the VBAC if I should go into spontaneous labor before the scheduled surgery date. I'm not taking this decision very lightly, but based on what I've read so far in my online research, the chance of a successful VBAC decreases with a woman over 35 & also when a woman is past due.

Thanks in advance for sharing your advice & stories & also for your support!

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
girlichick
Registered Users
seller

Re: VBAC Mamas

I haven't had a VBAC, but a good friend of mine did. Her baby went a little overdue (just a couple of days, I think) and he was 9lb 6oz! She and baby both did wonderfully.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
mommato4kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had 2 VBAC's. My first VBAC was only 14 month after my c-section. No problems. My docs were great. They encouraged me to have one. NO problems at all. Then 19 months after that VBAC I had another one. Same thing. Perfect no problems. I attempted a VBAC again another 22 momths later but my ds was holding his cord and his heart rate dropped and wouldn't come back up so at 8 cm I had to have my second section. Now I'm pg with #6 and planning on VBA2C. My docs are completely supportive and actually recommend that you VBAC.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Br2me
Registered Users
seller
seller

i was going for a vba2c with mylast pg...it was against my dr.s thoughts...but my plan the whole time was this....

i"f i go into labor on my own before my due date then i am meant to have a vba2c...if my due date comes and goes then i know that it is the Lord's way of telling me to have the csection..."

we actually ended up doing the csection and i felt at peace with it the whole time...once the day was there and no signs of labor i just knew that the cs was meant to be and went with it...

lots of praying and good vibes are what it took for me to be able to figure out what to do
Br2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you, mamas, for your support.

Br2me, thank you for sharing "if i go into labor on my own before my due date then i am meant to have a vba2c...if my due date comes and goes then i know that it is the Lord's way of telling me to have the csection..." That statement helps put things in a better perspective to me!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
NorwexMa
Registered Users
seller

I'm hoping to attempt a vba2c this time around. I discussed a few things with my Dr at my last appt, and his honest answers/view points made me very happy with him :-) I asked him about going overdue, and he said it's "OK", but the sucess rate goes down the longer you go overdue. The uterine rupture rate does not 'go up', but just the factors of bigger baby, ect, play into effect.
I'm not worried about going overdue, DD was born on her due date, and pretty sure DS (was sceduled c/s) woulda been born the week he was due. If I would go overdue, I would still like to attempt a vbac, but if a c/s would become medically necessary, I would be OK with that.
So really, for me, overdue won't really be any differnt case than 'normal'. Due dates are estimations anyway in my eyes :-)

Edit: Mine are also farther (2 yrs +) apart...

I enjoy being thrifty green with Norwex! http://leahrus.norwex.biz

Last edited by NorwexMa; 06-06-2012 at 09:48 AM.
NorwexMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Crashing.

I had two prior vaginal births before my c-section, including an almost 9-lb baby that I pushed out in 15 minutes with no tearing. If I get all the way to 40 weeks this time, then my VBAC will be just 13 months after my c-section.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
mommato4kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, my first VBAC 14 months after my emergency section was to a almost 9 pounder!!

I have friends who have had successful VBAC's and they were 2 whole weeks overdue!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
chach4
Registered Users
seller

I'm shooting for vbac this time. I need to research more as well and hoping to learn from this thread as well as reading on the vbac section on here.
chach4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Crashing as well. I just had a baby in April and my doctor "let" me go all the way to 42 weeks before scheduling a c/s. I still had a c/s but I felt like I had a fair chance of having my VBAC.