Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: VBAC Mamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbailey89 View Post
Crashing as well. I just had a baby in April and my doctor "let" me go all the way to 42 weeks before scheduling a c/s. I still had a c/s but I felt like I had a fair chance of having my VBAC.
Mama ajbailey89, this is good to know. Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on your new addition!

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
Charrey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a VBAC with baby #2 and am planning to have another one this time. I would still attempt one if I were overdue without thinking twice. The experience and recovery were so much better. I would only consider a c-section if I needed to be induced because it can be risky with VBACs. Especially in your case since your babies are spaced close together.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
mrsmccullen07
Registered Users
seller

I had a c-section in August 2007 with my first baby and then I had a successful VBAC at 40weeks 3 days in March 2012 with my second baby. I am due in August of this year with Baby#3 and will be going for another vaginal birth. My practice will allow me to go to 42 weeks before they talk of c-section as long as baby and mommie are happy/healthy My first c-section was after 40+ hours of labor and 7 hours of pushing .............. I had a horrible horrible c-section so I have fought super hard for my right to VBAC and with my 2nd pregnancy I actually changed dr. practices 3x before I found one that would allow it.

mrsmccullen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

At my 32 week prenatal appointment today, the doctor that I would prefer to do my repeat C-Section (if required) advised that she would recommend trying to go for a VBAC up to 41 weeks. Our plan right now is to try for VBAC if I go into spontaneous labor, but go ahead & schedule a C-Section at 41 weeks in case I don't go into labor on my own. The doctor seems very positive about a VBAC for me. The first time she said when she walked into the room was, "So we're going to have this baby VBAC this time!"

When I asked about 42 weeks being "overdue" she told me that 41 weeks is now the "new" 42 weeks.

She also told me that she's not worried about going overdue at my age & that she begins to worry when women are over age 40 because of the deterioration of the placenta.

Last edited by jcalumna; 06-12-2012 at 11:57 AM.
jcalumna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
chach4
Registered Users
seller

While I met with a pushy (male) doc a few weeks ago who I wasn't a fan of, I had appt with MY doc last week and she said that American congress of gynecology (or whatever it is) PUSHES for docs to push for vbacs. But a lot don't. My doc said its easier for them and they make more money, which is sad.
She is supportive of my desire to vbac and said there is a 60-80% success rate in vbacs, and MY chances are closer to 80% because of the reason I had a csec for first babe (he was breach). If I has a csec due to "failure to progress", then success rate for vbac is closer to 60%.
I'm hopeful...
BUT doc said if at 40 weeks I don't show any signs of labor soon, she would wanna csec.... I am going to try to get her to let me go longer...
Also she said at first sign of labor ill have to go to hosp immediately. And when I asked how long id be allowed to labor before they'd wanna cut me open and she said 6 hrs... If I don't show progress by then.... Which to me isn't long enough...especially if I have to go to hosp at first contraction? Anyone else heard this?
chach4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chach4 View Post
Also she said at first sign of labor ill have to go to hosp immediately. And when I asked how long id be allowed to labor before they'd wanna cut me open and she said 6 hrs... If I don't show progress by then.... Which to me isn't long enough...especially if I have to go to hosp at first contraction? Anyone else heard this?
No, I have not heard of this. Would the doctor request this because of something specific about your medical history?

From everything I've read, the longer you stay at home & labor the higher your chances are of having a successful vaginal birth.

Thank you for sharing... this will prompt me to ask my doctor about when I should present at the hospital if I go into spontaneous labor.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
Formerly: Generalsgirl08
seller
seller

My Mood:

My only real advice, is to be open to your body being different from others. Just because you aren't a "40 week mama", doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to have a VBAC.

I naturally go 42 weeks, so now all the issues with my DS (emergency c/s due to failed induction) make sense, because their records say he was 39 weeks...but according to the only day I COULD have gotten pregnant, he was only 38 weeks when induced. This means he was essentially FIVE weeks early...does that make sense?

My first VBAC I went into a slow labor, so we helped it along with tinctures (which I don't really advise...for many reasons..), but the next two VBAC's I had were both at the 42 week mark

I would highly suggest you ask them to push your scheduled c/s to what would be your 42 week mark, to give your body every chance to go into labor naturally

And yes, stay at home as long as possible...and if you do go past 40 weeks, a BIG issue they'll check for is fluid levels (this could make them want to induce you, or do another "emergency" c/s) , so make sure to be drinking TONS of water!

Its hard to be resolved when you are hugely pregnant and want to be "done", so make sure to set your standards NOW, and stick to them. I would hire a doula to be your advocate, and support all your desires, even when you doubt yourself. And your DH too...he needs to be your advocate and support you too. If you get an ill doc on your 40 week visit, you need someone sitting there with you, fighting for both of your wishes and desires.

I am NOT against all OB's/medwives, BUT, it is all too true, that sometimes they do the cut bait/switch on you, and when those last weeks creep up, you will lose their support, and find yourself fighting for your VBAC...give yourself the best chance possible to make it to the finish line!
Ready to Shop for Woolies? Check out Baby Snickerdoodles on Hyena Cart
BabySnickerdoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #18
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
Formerly: Generalsgirl08
seller
seller

My Mood:

DP - Oops!
Ready to Shop for Woolies? Check out Baby Snickerdoodles on Hyena Cart

Last edited by BabySnickerdoodles; 06-12-2012 at 01:25 PM.
BabySnickerdoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #19
bruenderbaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmccullen07 View Post
I had a c-section in August 2007 with my first baby and then I had a successful VBAC at 40weeks 3 days in March 2012 with my second baby. I am due in August of this year with Baby#3 and will be going for another vaginal birth. My practice will allow me to go to 42 weeks before they talk of c-section as long as baby and mommie are happy/healthy My first c-section was after 40+ hours of labor and 7 hours of pushing .............. I had a horrible horrible c-section so I have fought super hard for my right to VBAC and with my 2nd pregnancy I actually changed dr. practices 3x before I found one that would allow it.
My first labor was VERY similar. I also went through three docs before finding one that ACTUALLY was vbac supportive. The first two claimed they were, but I didn't get that feeling at all.
This one will be my second vbac. I am with a different doc, because my last one moved (sniff, sniff). She mentioned somehting about doing a csec at 41 weeks, because inducing is dangerous, and the baby will be getting 'too' big. My last ds was 8.5 pounds and I pushed for 1.5 hours with some tearing, but the recovery and experience was amazing compared to the c-sec.

Also, I suggest any of you feeling pressured about having a csec based on your due date, read the book "Husband-Coached Childbirth: The Bradley Method" by Dr. Robert Bradley. The 40 week due date is a completely made up number with no research to back it up. In fact, the average pregnancy of humans (when allowed to go naturally) is 41 wks and 1 day. It is very sad the ob community is so set on made up guesses and don't trust nature to do what it has always done. Also, I have never found anything that says the bigger the baby the riskier it is to vbac. The chances of your baby not fitting is extrememly rare.

Oh, and as for a time frame . . . again, there is no research that says labor 'is supposed to be' a certain amount of time. Some women labor for days before getting into active labor, and that is as normal as women who labor for 4 hours total. Guess which one is more common? A six hour time frame is ridiculous! I got to the hospital with my second pregnancy (first vbac) at 8 cm and all went beautifully. I labored at home for 6.5 hours of my 8.5 hour labor. Your home environment is less stressful than the hospital, which equals better labor. Just research and prepare physically and mentally for labor and all will go well.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #20
NorwexMa
Registered Users
seller

Wahoo! DH told me last night that he's kinda excited to have a 'normal' delivery! For the most part, I figured he thot I was kinda crazy, but was being nice and going along with what I wanted. He's just worried that once the baby comes out.... he grosses out and passes out real easy. I told him not to worry, yes, the baby will look...slimy, bloody, a lil, but he's be so glad to see it, it won't bother him. He's a farmer, so I used the whole baby calf being born comparison :-)

I enjoy being thrifty green with Norwex! http://leahrus.norwex.biz
NorwexMa is offline   Reply With Quote