Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

I went to a Baby's r us today for the first time and immediately saw this sign. I feel so frustrated with how nursing is perceived in the U.S.

Would this sort of thing bother you? I feel this advertisement has a subtle or not so subtle message.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2245544453.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	107669  

Advertisement

Last edited by Kätzchen; 06-05-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
lissa~K
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do these things make you upset?

I'm sure Baby's R US makes more money selling formula and accessories than anything breastfeeding related. I would just chalk it up to marketing. If I saw that sign at a pediatricians office or something I would be pi*sed though.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissa~K
I'm sure Baby's R US makes more money selling formula and accessories than anything breastfeeding related. I would just chalk it up to marketing. If I saw that sign at a pediatricians office or something I would be pi*sed though.
I guess you're right. Maybe I'm just having a bad nursing day. My lo is approaching 11m and still nurses at least* every hour, and today, for the first time had someone glare at me in that same store. I hate that nursing is so shameful to the public when it is really so sweet.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I think you are reading too much into it. I think it's likely just exactly what it says, an event that talks about all aspects of feeding baby. I am sure there is a bit of marketing involved but there are PLENTY of things for them to market besides formula. Things like brest pumps and pump parts and nursing shirts and mesh feeders and spoons and baby food and nursing pads and eleventy billion other things
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
isaacsmum
Registered Users

I don't understand what there is to be upset about. Even if they are advertising a program on switching from breastfeeding to bottle-feeding (and I don't think they are), I don't understand what there is to be upset about.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Momma2Nick
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady
I think you are reading too much into it. I think it's likely just exactly what it says, an event that talks about all aspects of feeding baby. I am sure there is a bit of marketing involved but there are PLENTY of things for them to market besides formula. Things like brest pumps and pump parts and nursing shirts and mesh feeders and spoons and baby food and nursing pads and eleventy billion other things
This.
Amanda, Wife to Ray, Momma to my Nicky Bean born 12/21/07 He was the coolest Christmas Present EVER! Welcomed my Easter gift, Victoria on 4/20/11 Our Summer Sweetheart, Mason came on 7/23/13. We are sooo blessed!
Momma2Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For some women...breastfeeding is NOT an option. Those women are no less of a mom because they don't nurse. I struggled for almost TWO YEARS because I was unable to bf my oldest longer than 6 mos. I cried constantly...felt like I let him down somehow. All because I knew women who were constantly putting me down for quitting. (FWIW I quit because I completely dried up...I don't know why...and my child's health was at risk because he was NOT getting enough food from me).

Seeing things like this would have validated that I was not a BAD mom...that I was actually a good mom for making the RIGHT decision for my child.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
smplmama
Registered Users
seller

I don't think it really bothers me. I most definitly think it is one of the most useless "events" ever though, considering babies don't need all of those little gadgets they are trying to push on new parents.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Not really bothered by it. BUT I would be by the glaring customer. Next time show a bit more when you get some nasty looks or comments. I am either blind or have never received any.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I wouldn't be upset about it. It's discussing everything about feeding baby. What's so wrong about that?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote