Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
cmamalis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do these things make you upset?

I read it as being about breastfeeding AND bottle feeding AND everything in between. I think it is meant more as an informative event to show new parents all their options. BRU carries a good amount of supplies for breastfeeding along with bottle feeding. Most of us take it for granted, but there really are a LOT of new parents out there who don't have a clue where to start or don't have a support system to teach them about all their options when it comes to feeding a baby.

Advertisement

cmamalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #12
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm going to reply before reading others as to not bias my first thought. I'm not sure what you read but I read that it's promoting both breastfeeding and bottle feeding. I think that is as it should be. Both bf moms and ff moms should be welcome . Just my thoughts
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nope! It sounds like an education session for feeding your baby. It is no ones business what option appeals to you more.

Last edited by EuphoricDysphoria; 06-05-2012 at 04:03 PM.
EuphoricDysphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Maybe I am alone, I just felt the mom with a baby bottle feeding and bolded breast-to-bottle was a bit overkill. Why not have breast AND bottle feeding and everything else with a picture of a nursing mom? Maybe I should just stay home as to not offend anyone.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady
I think you are reading too much into it. I think it's likely just exactly what it says, an event that talks about all aspects of feeding baby. I am sure there is a bit of marketing involved but there are PLENTY of things for them to market besides formula. Things like brest pumps and pump parts and nursing shirts and mesh feeders and spoons and baby food and nursing pads and eleventy billion other things
This. I read it as an event about breast and/or bottle feeding, not going FROM breast TO bottle.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the wording for the title of the event may not be the best choice, as I read it first as something to teach mamas to make the switch from breast to bottle. The description makes it clear that it is not, but I think the wording on the sign could be better.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Maybe I am alone, I just felt the mom with a baby bottle feeding and bolded breast-to-bottle was a bit overkill. Why not have breast AND bottle feeding and everything else with a picture of a nursing mom? Maybe I should just stay home as to not offend anyone.
Well probably because clip art of bottle feeding is easier to find. Or because a more vertically oriented picture is what they were looking for and since most nursing is done sitting down (recent TIME photo not withstanding) that makes for a more square rather than vertically oriented photo. Or maybe it's because, particularly in clip art form like they have the picture, it's difficult to tell that a mom is actually nursing unless you actually SEE breast and I would imagine they wanted it to be obvious that baby is being fed.

Would it have been offensive to bottle feeding moms to have a pic of a nursing mom instead? They only have space for one big pic and one big pic fills more negative space than several smaller ones.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #18
aries416
Registered Users
seller

It kind of bothers me. I don't mind the class topic or the words, but the picture bothers me. Why can't they show a nursing AND a bottle feeding mom? There is nothing wrong with bottle feeding and there's nothing wrong with breastfeeding. No one needs dirty looks. My 19 month old is still nursing very often and he's big for his age. You can imagine the looks I get.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #19
lilmomma83
Registered Users

I think they could have just done a mom holding a baby, or no mom, and just a bottle and a breastpump maybe....honestly, it says product demonstration, so as far as breastfeeding I assum they are going to demo pumps or something. Truthfully though, if I saw the sign I wouldn't even think twice about the pic...but I'm not very detail oriented either lol
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #20
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
I see where you're coming from. I think that everyone has valid points, but it would be nice to see an advertisement that normalized breastfeeding. Obviously this picture just reinforces the bottle-feeding norm that most women are familiar with.
Of course, this is Babies R' Us, and to actually see a woman nursing on the poster would probably never happen. As others have said, they really only make money off of the accessories that aren't really necessary for breastfeeding- pumps, bottles, bags, etc. So I think it' be more likely to be either a mom bottle-feeding, or a mom pumping on the ad.