Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
supergirljennie
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby Names!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkInk View Post
I'm a beyond name fanatic, so expect lots of name stuff from me, I love hearing about everyone's picks! I have literally overheard someone call their child's name in a store and I ask about the name. Anyone else name obsessed? Anyone else have their names picked and want to share, or what you are considering? How did you choose your current children's names?

I've had my girl name chosen ever since my last aunt stopped trying for a girl and relinquished the name (actually, she didn't, she keeps saying she might adopt a girl but seriously, I'm next, it's mine!), my grandmother's name, Lyla. I've hoped for girls just so I can use the name before any of my cousins get any funny ideas (I'm the oldest/only married as of now though). We don't have a middle name yet, my first pick was Lyla Jon. My MIL's name is Barbara Jon and I love it, and my brother's name is Jonathan, and I love him... but everyone else rejected it so that's out. I also like Lyla Brynn. Fam tradition is to give first daughter mom's middle name, mine is Lynn, but Lyla Lynn is awful. DH doesn't like Brynn... trying to wear him down. Some of my favorite girl names and why I am going to have to have 10 children (though DH doesn't like most of these: Marta (next girl likely, fam name), Petra, Britta, & Winfred.

Boy policy, DH names them. Milo is named for the lead singer of his fave pop punk band, Ash is named for Bruce Campbell's zombie killer character in Evil Dead... I know... my husband is SUCH a boy! Boy name three he is kinda stumped on. His fave book series is Stephen King's Dark Tower Series and a character from that I liked was Cort (Cortland) but DH doesn't like it. We both love Hebrew, my dad lived in Israel for years and speaks the language and I think it's the prettiest so we discussed Levi as it's Hebrew and sounds good with Milo & Ash, but it's so common now. One of my rejected (by DH) girl names was Ever, and there is a well respected rabbit breeder (I show rabbits, yeah like dogs) nd judge named Everett and I have always admired him/his name and DH likes it (shocked!) so that is our front runner boy name. Maybe Everett Levi? Some of my other favorite boy names are Cade, Shepherd, Weston, Calder, Quinn & Austin. Though I likely wont get to use them since DH is the namer, I can gently suggest

So Lyla & Everett (so far)... anyone wanna share their picks? Anyone think it's crazy to be picking so soon? Haha!
Lyla is very pretty! I cannot fathom allowing my DH to name the boys. You do all the work of carrying them and you don't even get a vote? What if you don't ever have a girl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookglen View Post
Lyla was one of our girl names. I can't remember why we decided not to use it. I also like Delilah, but that stupid song has ruined it for me.

Anyway, I was pushing for Maple Adele. I'm a gardener and my absolutely favorite plant is the Japanese maple. Hubby liked it for a few weeks and then decided he didn't anymore. Adele I think will definitely sit as the front runner for girl middle names. We are Jewish (well he is at least) and his great aunt Delly just died so we will honor her.

Boy names. We are at an impasse on boy names. I had him hooked on Asher and then he found our how popular it was and turned on me! I am a HUGE bob Dylan fanatic, so I'm pushing for Dylan as a middle name.

So there you have it, middle names only.
I think Jason Bateman recently named a little girl Maple. It's different but seems familiar from its similarity to Mabel. I like Asher too but I try to shy away from popular names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisha622 View Post
I LOVE talking baby names. Maybe not as much as you, Cori, but I think about them a lot and was making myself restrain from starting a topic so early on... so I'm glad someone else did it

DH and I haven't discussed names yet, really. If DD was a boy, we were going to do Judah Benjamin (we like the name Judah and we're Christians, so the name has meaning to us... and Benjamin is DH's name). We talked for about 2 seconds about names in the last week and decided we would use that name if this one was a boy. So there's our boy name. That was easy.

As for girl... well, I have names I like, but here's how it goes when we choose names. I pick out several names I like, and then I give the list to DH and ask him to tell me which ones he likes. If we're not pregnant or if it's too early on, he won't take some names (like long ones or more unique ones) serious enough, so I'm afraid to talk too early. Also, we decide really fast and pretty much stick with our decision, and I think I want to wait a little longer because it's one of my favorite parts about being pregnant... so I don't want to have our names completely decided yet. BUT anyways, girl names I like are... Delaney, Marissa (my top 2), Carley, Kelsey, Alexis, Aubrey. All of these are just names that I like... no significance. The only rule is that it can't start with an S because that's what DD's name starts with. The middle name will definitely be Jubilee. I also like the name Everly but it sounds bad with Jubilee and we plan to move overseas to asia pacific, and some places there say the letter "v" like a "p"... so just something to keep in consideration.
Love Judah and Aubrey! Why are you planning on moving to asia pacific? That's really interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabarugh View Post
We have not started talking names yet. I'm pretty weird about names. I pick the first name. DH gets to pick the middle name, as long as it fits into our pattern. The only exception to this was with our youngest, as I longed for a Tobiah. So, I picked Toby's middle name, and DH picked his first name (Colin Tobiah). I've had Peyton stuck in my head for a girl for the past 2 pregnancies. So, I figure that will be our girl name, if we have one.
Did you intend on calling Colin Tobiah Toby, or did that just grow organically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmom02 View Post
Here are my kids nAmes:
1. Jessica Renee- dh picked cuz he said he has never met an ugly Jessica. Silly boy!
2. Emma Gail- I always loved Emma, of course that was before the Emma craze
3. Dean Spencer- he is the 4th dean so didnt have a choice there!
4. Annabelle Faye- named after great gramdmas om both sides

If #4 had been a boy i really wanted Elliot Tobias. I have always wanted an Elliot. Unfortunately, with 3 girls, Elliot never stood a chance!!
I like Elliott! My hesitation is that it's starting to head into the girl camp now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinmyhead View Post
Oh I've had names that I like in mind for a while Adeline is a must for a girl. It was my maw maw's middle name. She died while I was in Iraq in 06. I've always loved the name. I also like Piper though, so we may just have to have more I'm not sure of middle names. Rose keeps coming up, and I think it would work well with both. Charlene is another middle name choice ... that was my maternal grandmother's middle name.

Boy names? DS is William, but I don't have to have something that really "matches." We were thinking Gavin Lee (DH's name), but I could be open to other suggestions.
Great names! I like Adeline Rose a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiesara View Post
I would love to use a family name. But, we don't really have any family names that we like. If we have a girl, her name will be Hannah. We've had that picked for a while. I have no idea for boy names.
Hannah is pretty and classic. I've been surfing our family tree for name inspiration too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Boy will be Giovanni
Girl - Fia, Nola, Fiorella, Lucia, Mima, Gisella, Mariella, Giachetta, Giuseppa and probably many more to come
Gisella is my favorite from your girl list, followed by Lucia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saruh View Post
I'm obsessed with names too! It's my favorite part! Haha!

I feel like I'm having a boy, so boy names are really all my brain can think about. We want to give our son our mutual best friends middle name, which is Sullivan. He was the reason that we met, and the best friend in the world to both of us. However, it doesn't go well with some of the names we like.

Boys: Caspian, Jude, Graeme (Graham), Oliver, Finn

Girls: Esther, Olive, Pearl
Love your names! Your girl names are very old-fashioned and sweet.

AFM: I have 4 boys, whose names are
Dominic Sebastian
Alexander Vincent (always called Xander)
Felix Benjamin
Milo Christopher

I have really annoyingly specific terms for names.

1) Cannot begin with the same letter as one of my other kid's names (so no D, X, F, or M)
2) Has to end in a different sound than the other boys' names (so ic, er, ix, and o are out)
3) First and middle need different amount of syllables
4) No popular names (which has bitten me in the butt a bit, but the names have become popular after I've used them)

Assuming we have another boy, our list consists of:
Abraham (called Bram), Conrad (family name on both sides), Reuben, Linus, Quinten, Silas, Elliott, Barnaby (on my list, not DH's lol), Julian and Jasper

We're not even discussing girl names. Waste. Of. Breath.

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
lisha622
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergirljennie View Post
Love Judah and Aubrey! Why are you planning on moving to asia pacific? That's really interesting!

AFM: I have 4 boys, whose names are
Dominic Sebastian
Alexander Vincent (always called Xander)
Felix Benjamin
Milo Christopher

I have really annoyingly specific terms for names.

1) Cannot begin with the same letter as one of my other kid's names (so no D, X, F, or M)
2) Has to end in a different sound than the other boys' names (so ic, er, ix, and o are out)
3) First and middle need different amount of syllables
4) No popular names (which has bitten me in the butt a bit, but the names have become popular after I've used them)

Assuming we have another boy, our list consists of:
Abraham (called Bram), Conrad (family name on both sides), Reuben, Linus, Quinten, Silas, Elliott, Barnaby (on my list, not DH's lol), Julian and Jasper

I love your name guideline! I actually can relate to a lot of it... other than the popular names one. I'd really like to go for less common names, but the truth is, I usually end up liking names that are more popular, and DH won't even consider a name he's never heard of. But I also don't want any of my kids' names to start with the same letter, and I'd also really like them to end different but I'm finding that to be difficult.

Oh, and we're planning to move overseas for missions work. We'd like to do linguistics and teaching, specifically, in a remote area.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
abhernandez
Registered Users

Our names are basically chosen and we aren't wavering.

Girl: Lucia or Eliza (the first one because we like it and second because the names Eliza and Louisa have alternated as first or middle names for the last 8 generations of my direct maternal lineage and I'm not about to break a tradition that old. I'm Alice Louisa so if I have a girl, she has to either be Eliza or Lucia Eliza)

Boy: Ramon (after dh's grandfather.... although if the baby is born on Valentine's Day, I'll throw a tantrum to get the name Stanley Valentine... even though it's not remotely Spanish... for my great grandfather that was born on Valentine's day).

I want to avoid middle names if I can. I don't want my kiddos having 4 names since in Argentina, children take both parent's last names
Old 06-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhernandez View Post
I want to avoid middle names if I can. I don't want my kiddos having 4 names since in Argentina, children take both parent's last names
LOL. I have 4 names and our kids have 4 names (first, 2 middle, DH's last). My second son goes by his second middle name, because his first name has too many nicknames, none of which we care for, but he was given that name in family honor. Basically, there will never - in all the world - be another person with the same name as me, or any of my children, and I can say that with 100% certainty, even in this day and age. Plus, we like to make DMV clerks work extra hard :-)

Seriously though, I know someone who just named their son John David Miller. Identity theft, anyone? Although in this day and age, with everyone going for more unique names, he probably stands a fairly good chance of actually being the only John David Miller in his graduating class!
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #15
lisha622
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhernandez View Post
Our names are basically chosen and we aren't wavering.

Girl: Lucia or Eliza (the first one because we like it and second because the names Eliza and Louisa have alternated as first or middle names for the last 8 generations of my direct maternal lineage and I'm not about to break a tradition that old. I'm Alice Louisa so if I have a girl, she has to either be Eliza or Lucia Eliza)

Boy: Ramon (after dh's grandfather.... although if the baby is born on Valentine's Day, I'll throw a tantrum to get the name Stanley Valentine... even though it's not remotely Spanish... for my great grandfather that was born on Valentine's day).

I love the name Lucia, but I live in a heavily populated hispanic area and have a number of hispanic friends and we are definitely not hispanic, so it would just seem silly if we named our child Lucia. Lucy is so cute though, but I don't like Lucille or Lucinda and wouldn't want to do just Lucy.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #16
abhernandez
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisha622 View Post
I love the name Lucia, but I live in a heavily populated hispanic area and have a number of hispanic friends and we are definitely not hispanic, so it would just seem silly if we named our child Lucia. Lucy is so cute though, but I don't like Lucille or Lucinda and wouldn't want to do just Lucy.
It's also Italian... they pronounce it Luchia or something like that. And I personally think Spanish girl names work well with non-Hispanic last names. Spanish boy names on the other hand... no way.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have no idea yet for baby names. I have a running list, but many of my friends are pregnant/recently had babies so I've had to cross many names off.

GIRL: Liliana, Lila, Isla, Isley, Averie
BOY: Asher, Levi, Noah, Avi
Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
haddockhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, last time around DH didn't even want to talk about names until we found out what sex we were having. This time around I'm pushing to NOT find out, so he's only talking GIRL names. LOL
So yeah, as for boy names... not even going there because the odds are NOT in our favor.
Name "Rules" for me-- can't have the same first letter of the other 3 (Which excludes any G, C, or R names). And we sort of have this pattern of ended with the "ee" sound. So I think I want to stick with that.

So our girl names.
He really likes Lily, which we've loved ever since DD1, but it's just so popular. I haven't heard very many Lily's lately though. But he would want to name her Lilian and call her Lily. Which I'm not a fan of.
I love the name Liberty. (Maybe call her Libby?) He likes it okay, but likes Lily better.
I want to use the middle name Frances for either, because it was my Great-Grandmother's name.
He also likes Loretta Frances (very old fashioned, but it's after his Grandmother, and my Great-Grandmother) then we'd call her "Lottie" or "Lettie"

That's all we go so far!
haddockhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #19
PinkInk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Lyla is very pretty! I cannot fathom allowing my DH to name the boys. You do all the work of carrying them and you don't even get a vote? What if you don't ever have a girl?
No I get veto powers, which I've used liberally... and teeeeechnically, I heard/saw/suggested Everett so I'd kinda get credit if we use that, but he has to strongly like my suggestion... I dont know guess we are breaking our little pattern but he just can't seem to think of anything.

Quote:
Never know! My grandmother had 5 boys then 3 girls. Have enough babies and you'll bound to get a baby of the other sex... though I'm sure with 4 babies already you've discussed girls names already!

Birth Boot Camp Certified Childbirth Educator training couples in natural childbirth.

I blog at In Pink Ink
PinkInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #20
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

We haven't started discussing, last time we had a girl name picked out first then we found out it was a boy then it took months to agree on a name! I guess I am just kind of saving all of that arguing until we find out which gender to concentrate on! You all have some really good ones picked out!!!