Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Registered Users
Hi! New here!

Hi mamas and papas!!
I was directed here from the Thrifty Families forum. I had no idea this homesteading forum existed, probably because I wouldn't consider myself a homesteading type but I hope someone can help me

I am hoping to cut down my grocery bill by growing some things in my own "garden" (containers, really, since I can't actually have a real garden). But am I too late, since its already June? Someone on TF mentioned growing from plants rather than seeds since I'm late starting this year... Would those still save money? I imagine those are more expensive than seeds. And what would grow well/be easily found in western Washington? And WHERE do you buy produce plants? I have Fred Meyer right near me, also Target, Walmart, Home Depot, WinCo, Safeway, Albertsons...

For next year, when would I start planting seeds?

Marianna and new Usborne Books and More consultant married to C mama to P (05/10) and J (12/11) and baby tre coming 10/14
~Shop at my absolute favorite cloth diaper store HERE! Free diapers, rewards points, and free shipping!~
~Save 20% with code NIFT8010 on your first order at: and
~$25 off your first order of $50 at!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Registered Users
Formerly: dm**ge
My Mood:
Re: Hi! New here!

You probably would have best luck with buying plants this year. It all depends on what you will eat as to what you want to plant. You don't want to plant 5 tomato plants if you don't like them, KWIM? I've grown almost all my plants in pots at one time or another. My SIL is in Bellingham, WA and she just got her pepper and tomato plants in last weekend and it's normally when she plants (Memorial Day weekend or within a couple weeks).
Make sure that you're consistant with your watering, especially in containers since they tend to dry out faster. And watch for bugs.
Dayna - Proud mama to my 3 sons - D (17) , C (16) , and A (2)
Check out my Wildtree here
DCAMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Hi! New here!

welcome! Homesteading is all about self-sufficiency, I want to say most of us don't have huge properties or farms.

Most garden centers will be trying to get rid of their veggie and herb plants right about now since the season is winding down so you might be able to get a good deal. A few weeks back our home depot had them at half price. Walmart sells a lot of the tiny pots and trays for a dollar. It is more costly upfront than buying and starting from seed but for most areas it's getting a bit late into the growing season to start from seed now but some things like squash and beans you can still do seed because they reach maturity so rapidly especially in the heat. Container growing is easy, just make sure you get Potting Soil, not "garden soil" or "mulch" because it's specifically formulated for the best growth in a pot. Make sure you get pots that drain really well. The ones with the drip tray built into the bottom can still waterlog soil and that's how a lot of potted plants die.

By the USDA plant hardiness zone map, you are in zone 8, so here is a guide I googled that should help you get an idea:

It's just a rough estimate though so be watchful. Mine states I can plant a good 2 weeks earlier than when *I* know is safe based on my records from prior years. HTH!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote