Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:
Natural Bug Deterrents?

I made a big container garden last week, and started to notice that they're all getting attacked by ants especially!! The teeny, tiny little ants.

We definitely won't be doing pesticides or anything...that'd defeat the purpose of our little, organic garden I had a huge garden in the ground last year(in another state) and besides some beetles that left on their own, I never had an issue with bugs! Not sure where to start??

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Re: Natural Bug Deterrents?

recommendations for bodies too would be awesome - we moved recently and I am being attacked by black flies - seriously I have over 20 bites on me right now.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Connor
Registered Users
seller

I'm pretty sure food grade diatomaceous can be used on gardens.

To the pp, we use a natural bug spray with cedar, lemongrass, citronella, and a couple other things in it.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
kellyzaney
Registered Users

i've always used food grade diatomaceous earth as well. it has worked wonders for me and is pesticide free! i even sprinkle it in the yard, around the house from time to time, use it on the dogs as flea killer, and feed it to them once in a while to deworm them. all around great product! even works on scorpions!
kellyzaney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyzaney View Post
i've always used food grade diatomaceous earth as well. it has worked wonders for me and is pesticide free! i even sprinkle it in the yard, around the house from time to time, use it on the dogs as flea killer, and feed it to them once in a while to deworm them. all around great product! even works on scorpions!
Where do you buy it?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

I got my DE in bulk at the feed store we buy our chicken feed at. I could get as much as I wanted, so I got 20#. Most feed stores or farm supply stores will have at least little boxes of it.

One REALLY good thing to do...try calling around to garden centers near you to see if you can order lady bugs or praying mantis bunches. When I worked at Earl May we could do that. It would come with a bunch of them in a plastic bag, like when you get a fish at the pet store or buying crickets. They are AWESOME natural pest control!!

Also look into attracting beneficial insects. They will do the job for you.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 06-03-2012 at 01:41 AM.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Jenette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyzaney
I use DE too. I need to reapply after rain.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
For those of you that use DE in the garden, how often do you reapply, if it hasn't rained?

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own