Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
calling all longtime bleach users!

ok so i have recently been adding 1/4 cup bleach to my first wash and so far im LOVING IT! i have only been using it for about a month...what i want to know is if there are any bleach users that have used bleach during every wash for a LONG time on the same diapers and had them be perfectly fine still? some say using bleach over time will ruin your diapers. im interested to know if anyone has used bleach thro more than one baby on the same diapers and how did your diapers hold up?!

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
babyspaz
Registered Users
seller

What's in your stash? I imagine that bleaching over the long haul won't matter on your flats or prefolds but it would probably make a difference if you use all fitteds, pockets, or AIOs. I don't bleach all the time though, so I don't know for sure. Just seems like the elastic would wear out faster and maybe the PUL might delaminate. But I doubt they would be "ruined". Just worn faster. On the plus side though, I doubt you'd have to strip much...
babyspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
luvinmatt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: calling all longtime bleach users!

I bleached my stash for 2.5 years and they were fine. I used pockets exclusively.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay long time bleach user here. I have tried SEVERAL times to not use bleach or Tide in my laundry and my experiments always fail. Anyway..

I used bleach for about 5 years in my Top Loading machine, about 1/4 cup when the drum was full of water. Those diapers lasted just fine. I actually passed them on to other people when I was finished. Except my Kushies AIO's didnt make it past the second kid.

Then I got a front loader. And I JUST noticed rescently that if I fill my bleach dispenser its like 2/3 cup of bleach! I filled that dispenser for the last 5 years every single wash. And Low and behold, many of my diaper covers didnt make it. LOL! Brands like Thirsties began to look worn out, Happy Heiny's discolored, my old FB from my top loader days delaminated and my 3.0 velcro went out. NOW... that is NOT all my diapers. Just some of them didnt take a beating. Several of them did just fine under this treatment, like Thirsties PUL did great just not the velcro. Blueberry and Bummis and newer Fuzzibunz did fine, and BG brand PUL did fine, just not the velcro. None of the elastic went out (except some wonderoos and some haute pockets).. So I had many of the same diapers for 4 years straight and no problems.

NOW I know that I cant fill the bleach dispenser to the max and need to splash it in there or use a measuring spoon to get 1/4 cup bleach. I would say that my problem was NOT bleach or sanitary cycle or drying in the dryer but the 2/3 cup bleach. and Im very impressed with how my diapers held up. I had be advocating bleach use for years and I think I still will, but 1/4 cup not 2/3 cup. LOL.

Honestly we even fried some socks and you should see my dish towels! They are shredded using the same amount of bleach on our whites. LOL> Oh well you live and learn. Some Moms use Clorox Ultimate Care for bleach which is said to be less harsh on fabric.

Last edited by thirdtimemomma; 06-05-2012 at 08:54 PM.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh! I wanted to add, I had only 1 diapering item through out this time continually. It was a Bumkins wetbag I bought when DD was a baby. I used to only have one until my second dd was born. So it got washed and dried a lot! I just threw it away because it completely delaminated on me! Before that it had been going strong the whole entire time. So even with my "harsh" and "bad for PUL" routine, my wetbag didnt disintegrate into nothingness. NOpe, it lasted nearly 10 years!
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've been bleaching for over a year and the dipes are perfect. I have a mix of flats prefolds pockets and AIOs.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

I have stufff in my stash that has been in some degree of rotation since 2003/2004 and I bleach pretty much each and every load. I get soem fading with my colored wipes I once had a stash of colored kissaluvs that ended up pretty much back to white and some colored thread on some prefolds where the colors washed out.. really that is it. I've never had PUL damaged or hole eatting through fabric or elastic damaged..
Stuff I've had forever include bamboo wipes flannel wipes Nicky cotton covers birdseye prefolds flannel recieving blanket flats gauze cotton doublers and bummi covers.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yay i am so happy! i wanted to be able to keep using bleach. i have fitteds, pf's, aios, pockets, pretty much a lil of everything...hearing your stories have me very optomistic. thanks ladies!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #9
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

I want to know how you all use bleach without worrying you will splash it on your clothes or residue will be left in the bleach cup and bleach something you set there. Am I just neurotic?
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aithyne
I want to know how you all use bleach without worrying you will splash it on your clothes or residue will be left in the bleach cup and bleach something you set there. Am I just neurotic?
I poor it slowly! If there is any residue left in the tray it will be so diluted that I don't think it will matter. I do make sure and wash towels or underclothes after that diapers just in case though. I never set anything on top of my bleach cup? Are you talking about a top loader? When I used one I always poured a cup of water in after it.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote