Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #11
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: calling all longtime bleach users!

I have a top loader it does have a bleach dispenser but it is broken if I use it the bleach just pours out the bottom onto the floor... SO I jsut pour dirrectly into the washer.. Ive never every been splashed by bleach its jsut not any issue at all.

Advertisement

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #12
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette View Post
I poor it slowly! If there is any residue left in the tray it will be so diluted that I don't think it will matter. I do make sure and wash towels or underclothes after that diapers just in case though. I never set anything on top of my bleach cup? Are you talking about a top loader? When I used one I always poured a cup of water in after it.
Yes, a top loader. The bleach cup is on the side of the washing machine so sometimes something might get set down on the side (I aim for the left but with a little one helping me...) and I always worry it'll get bleach residue on it.

...are you supposed to pour a cup of water in?? From what I understood, since it dilutes into the water that normally fills the washer, you didn't have to.

Forgive me, I only started using bleach recently and I've learned what I do know from Google.
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use bleach sporadically, but I fear it, too. I truly believe bleach ruined my Thirsties elastics. It wasn't overuse and it wasn't air drying that ruined it, so what else could it be? It's a shame because everything else in those covers would have lasted a bunch of years yet. But they are useless because the elastic is shot.

I ran out of Tide Original and everything still smells like pee coming out of the washer lately (sensitive pregnancy nose!), so I'm using bleach more readily again.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I used about a tbsp of bleach in every wash in our FLer, on occasion I'll fill the dispenser. I only ever use mainstream detergents like All F&C w/oxyactive or Tide f&C, and our diapers seem to stay practically new looking. I used to use natural detergents and never bleached, and we battled all types of issues and our diapers were worn out within months. Honestly, if I couldn't use bleach on our diapers, I doubt I'd CD.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #15
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't bleach every load.......or even every other load.....just every so often. I have no issues with any of my diapers......I have a mix of everything. I've had some of my diapers in use for over 3 years now.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't bleach every single wash but enough and we have a mixture of diapers. However we are still using some BG pockets (18) that we purchased for our first child in 2007. I have never, ever had anything with PUL or elastic be ruined. Elastic is perfect even after storing for a year or two years in between children. I really believe that not getting diapers clean enough and ammonia is worse for PUL and elastic than bleach.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #17
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aithyne
I want to know how you all use bleach without worrying you will splash it on your clothes or residue will be left in the bleach cup and bleach something you set there. Am I just neurotic?
Use it very carefully. Lol! Also the splashless bleach worked well for me so u can start with that till u feel more comfortable

Sent from my "smart" phone
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #18
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma

Use it very carefully. Lol! Also the splashless bleach worked well for me so u can start with that till u feel more comfortable

Sent from my "smart" phone
I just have regular bleach. I'll look for that.
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #19
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've been using it on our Simplex for over 18 months and they're fine. PUL and elastic are nearly perfect, the cotton is getting a bit worn... but, well, we've been using the same diapers for over 18 months so some wear is to be expected, bleach or not.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #20
thejuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I use bleach about 2 or 3 times a month on our diapers. We have BGEs, Flips and Bottombumpers. Everything is stain and stink free and no issues at all. This has been my routine for a year and a half and we don't even have holes in our BGE which is usually common.