Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Brittany1287
Registered Users
seller
seller

Exhausted baby eats all night long...

My baby is 5 days old. She was an excellent nurser since birth but her latch has since declined. How doyou get you baby to open their mouth wide? She just opens and little bit and digs into the nipple and she has a STRONG suck and it hurts so much I am so sore. Also every night about 8 or 9 she starts nursing and wants to nurse all the way till about 5 or 6 in the morning. With maybe one or two short naps in there. She will not let me put her down for the naps or immediately wakes up rooting and sucking on fingers then crying like she is starved. I know I must run out of milk after a while and I am not getting any sleep. I have a 2 year old so I am not getting sleep during the day either and if I do try to nap during the day she wakes up as soon as I lay down. I want to BF this time around and make it work but I am just SO sore and exhausted! HELP!

Advertisement

Brittany1287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:
Re: Exhausted baby eats all night long...

First 3 months are a huge time commitment. At 5 days old she is going through a growth spurt too and for the new few weeks you will cycle through many "cluster feedings." Try going to kellymom.com and reading more information on it. It's totally normal and natural.

You just have to power through the new few weeks.

*hugs*

PS are you co-sleeping? That helps out a lot! You can use the side laying nursing position. As far as latching goes, your breasts ARE going to be sore for a few weeks. It does get easier!

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
lilmomma83
Registered Users

I agree that she is probably cluster feeding...it will slowly lessen the older she gets an is normal...you always have milk...so don't worry about that. :-)

I'm also wondering if maybe your breasts are very engorged making it more dificult for her to get a wide latch? Do your breasts feel swollen and hard? Are you nipples and areolas a bit flattened? IF so you can try to hand express just a teeny bit (don't do to much or it will cause oversupply) before latching your baby, that always helped mine.
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

I agree with cosleeping and nursing in the side lying position...that is the only way I got any sleep in the first couple months.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
milosmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a 2 week old little girl who has similar feeding habits. She wants to eat back-to-back and wants to eat alot at night. I know it is tiring and like you I have an older child (a 4 yr. old boy) and at times I feel like falling over, but just have to keep going. Like some of the pp posters have said, you just have to power through a few weeks and her habits will shift and it will get easier in time. As far as latching goes, have you tried adjusting her lips and "pulling" down on her chin either as she is latching or right after she latches? I have to do this with my daughter. She has a petite mouth and I have well... lets just say the opposite size when it comes to nipples. I have to adjust her top lip to what I call "fish lips", by popping it out and up to cover more of the ariola, and put subtle pressure on her chin and bottom lip (by pulling down as she is sucking) to accept more of my breast into her mouth. This has saved my breasts from more discomfort than what is normal. Also, are you using Lansinoh to keep your nipples from becoming dry or cracked? Hang in there, it will get better and it is totally worth it!
milosmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
Brittany1287
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did get some Lanolin and it does help alot! I have been working with her on her latch she is getting some better. I have tried the side lying position she can't seem to get latched on for some reason. Last night she had two 2 hour naps but she will only sleep beside me or on me, I was totally against co-sleeping but I am so desperate for sleep I have just let her. I actually am not engorged at all, she just like to bite down hard lol even my midwife said wow she has a HARD latch. Thanks mamas for the encouragement. I just don't do well on little sleep..but I know i have to do this for her..we already discovered a gluten and milk allergy so formula would be a nono. And I am glad she is at least eatinG!!
Brittany1287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Wow this sounds exactly like what I'm going through OP. My 6 day old was doing great, or so I thought, until my milk really started to come in. I went into a tizzy on Wed with the sore nipples and managed to see a LC yesterday which was so helpful. Now my only concern is not getting so stressed out for every feeding, and getting sleep! I'm also recovering from my c section and can't stop bawling my eyes out, and now fear I'm getting clogged milk ducts in my right breast. I never thought BF'ing would be this hard but I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this.
Dancy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
BumQT
Registered Users

My Mood:

Co-sleeping is the only way I have ever been able to get rest with both of my kids. My DD is now 4 weeks old and I had a terrible time with her latching correctly for the first week. Once I learned to relax and started getting more rest...everything else fell into place. Breast feeding really is easier in the long run. It's definitely worth the effort! Good luck mama and I hope you get some z's soon!
BumQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
hopeangelmomof5
Registered Users
seller

I also have a 5 day old and am recovering from c-section. We've spent every night since we got home from the hospital with me sleeping on the couch and her sleeping on top of me. She wakes up every 3-4 hours, drains a breast in 10 minutes, gets a diaper change, and we're right back to sleep. I know co-sleeping isn't something everyone wants to do, but it's so much easier to deal with day to day life and other kids (I have 4 others to take care of) when you're getting sleep. Good luck!
hopeangelmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How are you doing? Is her latch okay now? You can brush your nipple against the side of her cheek, which should get her to open up, and then hold your breast in your hand and shove it (gently, lol) into her mouth while it's open as wide as possible. Then check when she latches to make sure that she hasn't pushed some out. You can also do the "lower lip flip" and pull her lip out when she's latched to encourage her to take more into her mouth.
And I agree with the others. Cosleeping may not appeal to you, but babies are really born to cosleep. It's easier for them to sleep closer to mom, and it's a lot easier for mom to get sleep. especially in the first crucial weeks where you need to establish a strong milk supply. the first night after my son was born I started teaching him to latch on laying next to me, and at 7 weeks or so he could do it all by himself mostly, and I don't even have to wake up.