Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
rockchikcassie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yeast vs. Amonia

So we've been having issues off and on for a couple of months now. All the problems seem to start overnight. He does fine in the diapers during the day, but wearing them for the extended period overnight is causing extreme irritation.

When we start having issues pedi said it was yeast, we used sposies and yeast meds and everything was all better. I bleached all our prefolds and it was ok for a couple of days, then it got bad again (still using the original bleached prefolds, not having had washed a new batch). It's been in this cycle of clearing up then coming back for what feels like forever. I've switched detergents from Charlies to homemade and now I'm back with Charlies as the homemade seemed to cause more problems (issues during the day as well). In the morning the smell of ammonia could knock you out! I use bac-out in my first wash cycle and half a scoop of charlies in the first then almost a full scoop in the second wash with an extra rinse. Everything comes out smelling nice and clean and when he wears the prefolds for only a couple of hours they don't smell like a bottle of ammonia. I can't really afford different detergent right now and we've been using charlies for a year without incident until this point.

His little weenie looks awful right now. It's all red and irritated and has some blisters around the sides. It was doing this with the yeast infection, just curious could it just be ammonia burn or is it probably yeast again? I'm going to try an RLR soak today on the prefolds and covers and probably bleach them all as well just to be doubly sure it's all dead if it's yeast.

Can just the covers carry the yeast infections? We use flips and other similar covers and didn't think before about bleaching the actual covers. Also, does anyone think that using a pocket would help overnight that way he stays drier than just using the prefold. I can make him a few if it will help

Advertisement

Full time student, mommy and wife! Love the boys in my life Chase, DS Merrick aka Batman (2/08), Silas (5/11) & #3 coming 6/13

ISO/IHA: http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1286842
rockchikcassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Yeast vs. Amonia

Could be from being wet at night. It could be detergent or bleach. Or bac out? Try softer stuff cuz his wewe is sensitive. Try little bigger diaper 4 room 4 wewe cuz could be rubbing? Yeast yes sometimes reoccur after 1 time but not that much. Does ur pedi know u cloth? Try sween cream it will help with red & if sore.
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I know I thought I had an amonia smell issue but them baby pee on me & it smell so smell might be pee not anything else.
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
A.Fred
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
A stay dry solution *might* be a good idea.

I personally have never seen an ammonia burn so I don't know if that's yeast or ammonia. Most rashes have some form of yeast I believe though.

Maybe start using a little bleach in every wash? Just to help kill stuff better.
A.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
rockchikcassie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dr does know we use cloth. I don't think his diapers are too tight, he's only 20 pounds (quite small) and we're using OS covers so I don't believe it is a too tight issue.

My husband thinks he's not drinking enough water and it's causing his pee to be really smelly, but I don't know about that lol. He doesn't drink much water because he won't, not because we don't give it to him.

I may start using bleach everytime...I'm at my witts end. Anyone know if the bleach for colors ok to use on diapers? I don't want to mess up my diapers with cotton outers.
Full time student, mommy and wife! Love the boys in my life Chase, DS Merrick aka Batman (2/08), Silas (5/11) & #3 coming 6/13

Old 06-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
This is why we sposie at night. The irritation and yeast wasn't worth it to us
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
EyeDocMommy
Registered Users
seller

First I'm so sorry you're having problems. Secondly I would follow the routine recommended by Charlie's:
Cold pre-wash (I personally use a hot prewash it works better for me)
1 full scoop of Charlie's with sanitizer (insert bleach for now only use the regular 6% for now to get rid of it. They say 3/4 cup for a TL. I would do that if you have a TL or 1/4 cup for a FL. Hot wash
1 full scoop of Charlie's warm wash double rinse.

I think they aren't fully clean or disinfected. Don't skimp on detergent.

If you can I would let them soak jn the Charlie's and bleach for a bit to disinfect them.

I really like coconut oil for diaper rash/irritation. Works better than anything else for us. HTH!
EyeDocMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bleach for colors doesn't sanitize. LOTS of ladies here bleach every load without issues. I was considering trying something different because I felt bad about always bleaching...but when I posted that there were tons of comments about how people bleach every load without issues.

I use mainly pockets with fitteds at night. 2 of my fitteds have patterns and I haven't noticed them fading at all.

Good luck!

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
rockchikcassie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeDocMommy View Post
First I'm so sorry you're having problems. Secondly I would follow the routine recommended by Charlie's:
Cold pre-wash (I personally use a hot prewash it works better for me)
1 full scoop of Charlie's with sanitizer (insert bleach for now only use the regular 6% for now to get rid of it. They say 3/4 cup for a TL. I would do that if you have a TL or 1/4 cup for a FL. Hot wash
1 full scoop of Charlie's warm wash double rinse.

I think they aren't fully clean or disinfected. Don't skimp on detergent.

If you can I would let them soak jn the Charlie's and bleach for a bit to disinfect them.

I really like coconut oil for diaper rash/irritation. Works better than anything else for us. HTH!

Thanks. I do fairly small loads that's why I wasn't using quite so much detergent, but I'll up it and see if it helps. I have some coconut oil, I'll have to try it, is it safe to use with cloth or do I need a liner or sposie?

Old 06-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
Dutchlish
Registered Users
Formerly: MWally29
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly dolly View Post
Bleach for colors doesn't sanitize. LOTS of ladies here bleach every load without issues. I was considering trying something different because I felt bad about always bleaching...but when I posted that there were tons of comments about how people bleach every load without issues.

I use mainly pockets with fitteds at night. 2 of my fitteds have patterns and I haven't noticed them fading at all.

Good luck!
I bleach my inserts every time I wash. I bleach my pockets once every two weeks or so. If I don't we have horrible smell issues at night. I started doing this after trying a million different detergents, tea tree oil, GSE etc. and it's the only thing that's worked.
My dipes (mainly hemp, bamboo and MF inserts and BG and softbums pockets) are in great shape!

ETA: We use coconut oil for irritation without a liner and have never had problems. It's awesome stuff.
M. - married to my best friend J. since 2006 ~ liberal, semi-crunchy, vegetarian, babywearing, CDing, Extended RFing, ER RN mama to my greatest loves B. (9/2008), C. (5/2010) and V. (9/2012) and A.(7/2014). Always missing the ones we didn't get to hold.
Dutchlish is offline   Reply With Quote