Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Yeast vs. Amonia

Honestly I finally switched DS to nature babycare disposables at night a few months ago (he is 3 yrs 4 months old) because his pee is so strong he was getting horribly irritated. My final straw was when one of his rashes resulted in open sores that ended up becoming a bacterial infection that required antibiotics. Sad because we never had night leaks in cloth but we sometimes get them in disposables. For me I know it wasn't a buildup issue or anything to do with the diapers because ds and ydd share diapers and she gets no irritation at night.

Advertisement

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
EyeDocMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchikcassie

Thanks. I do fairly small loads that's why I wasn't using quite so much detergent, but I'll up it and see if it helps. I have some coconut oil, I'll have to try it, is it safe to use with cloth or do I need a liner or sposie?
You're welcome! Yes coconut oil is 100% CD safe. I've used so many products with sensitive DS#1 and coconut oil worked quicker and better than everything for us. Plus it doesn't burn when you put it on them. My son calls it tickle cream :-)

Another thing you could try us oxy/vin. The thread was just bumped recently. I've never tried it but it sounds like it works really well!
EyeDocMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
A.Fred
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

there might over time be a little more wash wear..but I doubt very much if you use bleach
A.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just don't think they are getting fully clean and the night diapers are on longer so they are exposing the problem. I find that for a lot of people Charlie's just stops working after a while. Also it causes rashes for some children. I would pick up something at the store like Tide or Gain if you can. If not I would use more Charlie's and bleach every wash, covers included. In the meantime I would try a probiotic added to his diet, coconut oil and lots of air. A fleece liner at night would probably be good as well.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
BirthdayMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie
I just don't think they are getting fully clean and the night diapers are on longer so they are exposing the problem. I find that for a lot of people Charlie's just stops working after a while. Also it causes rashes for some children. I would pick up something at the store like Tide or Gain if you can. If not I would use more Charlie's and bleach every wash, covers included. In the meantime I would try a probiotic added to his diet, coconut oil and lots of air. A fleece liner at night would probably be good as well.
I agree with this. I used Charlie's and loved it for the first 6 months of DD's life. Then I battled recurring yeast for the next 6 months until my mom finally convinced me to switch to Tide when DD was about 13 months. The yeast rash went away that week and hasn't been back. I'd tried all kinds of bleach, using more Charlie's, less Charlie's, GSE, oxy, etc. Tide was cheaper and it worked SO much better for us.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
AshleyNoelle
Registered Users

My Mood:

We were getting irritation at night and it has went away completely by using a stay dry inner. We had been using a flannel pocket at night stuffed with 1 hemp and 1 cotton insert and a fleece cover. I switched to a pocket with a micro-minky inner and 2 microfiber inserts with a fleece cover and now we have no irritation and while his pee still stinks in the morning, it does not smell like ammonia. I even tried putting the hemp in the minky dipe and while the irritation didn't come back, the ammonia smell did. Our hemp inserts do not stink during the day ever, just if he wears one overnight and they have been bleached so I think it's just because it doesn't absorb as quickly for us. All my dipes, covers, etc are made by me so no specific brand or anything, I just changed up the materials for night time.
AshleyNoelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
rockchikcassie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My plan is to get a couple of pockets made this weekend. Right now I'm using up some old disposable gdiaper inserts inside our covers and going to try to get the problem cleared up before I put him back in the cloth. I want to start fresh and I want to get him healed. I have some sun free and clear that I can try with the next wash cycle. I think that a stay dry liner or a pocket with a stay dry inner will help some (or I am really hoping) along with getting the bad out of the diapers. Also going to slather him in coconut oil when he wakes up from his nap! Here's hoping for a soon to be blister and irritation free little boy!

I just soaked them in Charlies and bleach for a few hours so I am hoping they come out nice and clean and all the germs are gone.

I appreciate all of you guys' help! I thought I had it figured out the first go around lol
Full time student, mommy and wife! Love the boys in my life Chase, DS Merrick aka Batman (2/08), Silas (5/11) & #3 coming 6/13

ISO/IHA: http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1286842
rockchikcassie is offline   Reply With Quote