Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Did anyone EBF and get pregnant really soon?

Just wondering. No I'm not pregnant, but this baby is not nursing nearly as much as the first one did at night, and I'm worried that fertility will return a lot earlier than it did last time (12 months). I really stink at FAM. I know the principles but have only used it successfully to avoid pregnancy for 3 or 4 months before getting pregnant, both times.

I think I need some horror stories (not that babies are horrible, you know what I mean!) to scare me into really working at FAM again, even though I'm only less than 3 months pp. My husband tells me that he absolutely doesn't want another child (right now, I hope he means...), and I would want a 3 year age gap anyway, so I can't afford an "oops".

So if you EBF'd, did you get pregnant really soon, or know someone that did?

Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did anyone EBF and get pregnant really soon?

Yep.

I had my first DD in October 2008, and EBF'ed her with NO period at all and no signs of fertility. I knida slacked about testing for ovulation but wasn't worried. I suddenly began drying up very rapidly in July 2009. Could not figure it out. I was so distressed and confused. Well, turns out that my second DD was quietly baking in there and apparently my body just shuts down the milk production about week 8. Since I hadn't had a period since January 2008, I had to go in for an ultrasound to see how far along I was! I had no idea! I was totally shocked.

I EBF'ed my second DD religiously. She would not get off the boob. I had one little measly period and thought, "I'm probably not fertile yet - I basically spotted for a day and a half and cramped a couple times". Yeah. I was knocked up immediately after that! We even used spermicides to no avail (but I'm so glad that they failed! ). My second DD was 6 months old at the time that I became pregnant with my third DD and I was absolutely, positively exhausted.

Also my DH's cousin was EBF'ing and didn't have any period and thought she was safe, only to find out she was several weeks pregnant when her baby was no less than 4 months old.

Like you said, babies are not horrible but your body (and sanity!) does need a bit of a break. And it can happen - you've definitely got to be careful!

Last edited by Almacham; 06-07-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've gotten pregnant at 6 mont and 8.5 months despite ebf every 2-4 hrs. Then again I've always gotten my period back 8 weeks after birth too. This is the first time I've not had that and little man is almost 5 months old.
A friend of mine who ebf hasn't had a period since her first was born 10 yrs ago! She has 5 kids (last one born new years day this yr). She just gets this "feeling" and she knows (when she's pregnant).
Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
mkekaty
Registered Users
seller

8.5 months with my first, 4 months with my second, 10.5 months with my third. This is our 4th baby in 4 years and I have to say that my body needs a break. We are going to use the clearblue fertility monitor post this baby. I used it with my last pregnancy to avoid for 3 months, and then thought that we would be ready...but now I know that my body needed a bit more of a break. The monitor works really well though!
Old 06-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
babylovinmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, DS was 7 months when I got pg with DD. I've also never been one to rely on EBF as a form of bc. I think it really depends on everyone's individual body and how long it takes your body to recover and get back to normal working order after deliver. I know some women who don't have a pd or any real ovulation that they are aware of for up to a year, sometimes more after delivery. For me, I always get my normal pd back at 6-8 wks pp and am normal from there on out, and I have ebf all of my kiddos. Lucky me 'eh
Roberta~ crazy crunchy, sometimes soggy, wife to my love and mama to 4 little pieces of my heart and waiting on #5! If you can't find me, I'm probably hiding in the corner licking the beaters
babylovinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sort of. We started DTD when DD1 was 2 months. DH left on his ship for 3 months then we got pregnant with DD2 when DD1 was 12 months. So combined time was only 7 months. Nursed her all day and all night still at the time we conceived.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 06-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got pregnant while BFing twice.

With my first I got pregnant when she was 6 months old, and we were on the cusp of weaning (she weaned herself due to my supply issues). Ended in a m/c at 6 weeks. She was fully weaned when we conceived my second sticky pregnancy.

I got pregnant when my second was 5 months old and still EBF. That resulted in my 3rd child (they are 13.5 months apart).

My 4th and 5th were conceived after we had weaned.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't get pregnant without IVF due to male factor infertility. So, I have not had this happen. However, I am 100% positive my fertility returns pretty early. With my first, I EBF'd and still my cycle started again at 6wk pp. I know I was ovulating and I know I could have gotten pregnant if there were any swimmers around. LOL. With my first set of twins, I was 11.5 moths pp before I got my first period. So, not super early. With my second set of twins, I was 6 months pp when I got my cycle. Again, I know I could have gotten pregnant if any swimmers were in the water. Oh and I did EBF with all of them. With my first, he had never had a bottle when I got my period. With my first set of twins, when it was 11.5 months, they had bottles sometimes even though I did pump also. My second set, when I was 6 months, they had a bottle maybe once a month or so after baby B was out of the NICU. So, 2 babies, EBF'ing and still 6 months.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 06-08-2012 at 01:05 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've always got my AF 8 weeks pp even though I ebf, and for 3 of them they never even took a bottle or pacifier. Always bf on demand-which felt like all the time and my af would come 8 weeks like clock work. And that is after having 6 weeks of pp bleeding, mind you. We were very careful but we still got preggo pretty quickly for all of them.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all of your experiences ! It does help to hear them. I definitely need to be more careful.