Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
mrstilly
Registered Users
seller

ebay auction - buyer overseas? what do I do

I listed an item on ebay, and a buyer used the buy it now option. He requested an invoice, and I realized that he is in Israel. I've never shipped internationally before. He's willing to pay the total cost of shipping, but is there a way this can come back to bite me if it gets caught up in customs or something? I need the money for this item, so I can't lose out on it if it gets lost. It's a few hundred dollars.
Do I ship it to him (and if so how? Fedex?) or do I relist?

Advertisement

mrstilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Re: ebay auction - buyer overseas? what do I do

How heavy is it? Depending on how heavy it is, you can ship first class international, but there is no tracking with it. Tracking for international is only available on priority mail international. However, I have never had one single problem with international buyers. I have sold to canada, australia, israel, and many other countries. But, since it's a few hundred dollars I'd probably ship priority mail.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
2+2macht4
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

For a high cost item you have a few options.

The thing about priority is it stops working at the border, you only need a customs number to prove shipping but that does not prove delivery, but in most countries neither does DC.

You can cover yourself by insuring the package incase buyer says it never arrives.

Again liked PP I buy sell trade internationally and have never had an issue.

You need to change your ebay settings to not allow international buyers if you wamt only domestic sales.

I do not think you can reslist, if he won the auction and you listed wrong allowing international you cannot decide after the auction not to sell.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #4
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would ship someway that has tracking (Not DC) and/or signature required. Since hes agreeing to pay all the shipping I would look into USPS and Fedex and get him the cheapest safe option for him
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #5
tweety612
Registered Users
seller
seller

I know domestically, ebay requires signature confirmation on packages over $250 for you to be covered by seller protection. Is there an international equivalent of that? I would also definitely insure it. I'm sure there are rules on ebay for international sales too. I'm on my phone right now or I would look into it.

Sent from my Droid using DS Forum
Old 06-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
2+2macht4
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Yes you can do international signiture delivery. I am not sure what USPS charges.

Germany no longer offers customs numbers. I use signitiure delivery as a seller to prove shipping and delivery on international since we do not have DC. I pay 2.05 Euro. So about 2.50 USD with Deutsche Post.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
2+2macht4
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Ok, Looked it up here is iunfo on Israel no COD, and no insurance.

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/il_007.htm#ep5821100

YOu may nee dto look around a bit and get price quotes to ship from places like fed ex, but it may be a lot.

If you offer weight info anf box size I could help you look more.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

This is just me, but I would never ship an item internationally that I couldn't afford to lose. You could try to get a shipping quote with tracking and signature confirmation, etc., but my guess is it's going to be pretty high.

I actually just had an item that stated US only where someone from Israel won it. Their feedback was 2 and I just didn't feel like dealing with it (when my listing clearly stated US only) so I cancelled the transaction. I will ship to some places internationally - UK, Australia, NZ, most of Europe. But I just don't feel good about shipping to the middle east.

Just my personal 2 cents, others may disagree. I would not ship it to Israel if you can't afford to lose it.

Oh, and you will have to cancel the transaction before you can relist. And hope he doesn't try to push/fight it.
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
mrstilly
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! I called paypal this morning and they advised to ship through UPS because the USPS only follows the item to the border and after that it will be shipped the cheapest way possible to the buyer. They also offer no insurance, as PP said. I can ship via UPS and they offer delivery confirmation and a signature once the buyer receives the item, but it is a much greater cost and there are some customs forms/issues depending on what the item is.

In this case it is a cell phone and once I contact UPS customer service, I was informed that the buyer had to contact Israel's Ministry of Communications to obtain approval to receive the item.

*bangs head*

I copied the live chat with the UPS representative to the buyer and let him know I was canceling the sale and relisted *US only*
mrstilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
triplomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Did you limit your listing to domestic shipping only, or did you allow international shipping? If it was domestic only, then you have a way out by going to the Resolution Center and opening a case. One of the options is that the buyer's primary address is in a country to which you do not ship. If he agrees to cancel, you're off the hook and can send a second chance offer to the next highest bidder (hopefully one who lives stateside!).

And in the future, you can actually go into your seller preferences and *block* bids from people in other countries/regions.

Good luck!
triplomom is offline   Reply With Quote