Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Please tell me how to successfully use NFP.

My 3rd is now 7 weeks old. I EBF but that does not stop anything. With the last two I had a completely regular and predictable cycle with 2 to 3 months.

In the past I have taken pills. I do not have any reactions to the hormones but being on birth control an having three babies in a little over three years I would like to give my body a break. My DH and I are both against condoms. Have never used then and never want to, just don't like the idea of it. I may not be totally against trying a diaphragm but do not completely understand it. How do you use it and or remove it? Do you need something with it like spermicide? Kinda scares me. Also where do you get one?

So here is my real ? Is planning and keeping track of days to avoid really doable? I have regular cycles. And what is the best way to do this? We do plan on having more but would like a little bigger gap in ages this time. My DH has two more years of school. It would be nice if he has a reliable job and not school the next time. Oh ya, I am a list making planner by nature. I know I can do it just need to know how to do it most affectively.

Thanks for your help. I am also open to any other suggestions you might have for our situation.

Advertisement

jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please tell me how to successfully use NFP.

I would get an IUD - i was in your shoes (i had 3 babies in 3.5 years - DH just finishing school/starting career) I did get one. And DS3 is now nearly 2.5 so its worked its "magic".... i wanted something without hormones that would allow me to have bc without putting much thought in to it. The paragard IUD does the trick for me..... not everyone likes them, but in my situation i will probably always use an IUD as my chosen form of bc.

As for NFP read "taking charge of your fertility" and watch your cycles like a hawk..... temp daily, chart, etc. If you do that, you can sucessfully NFP, but i personally didn't want to do all of that. I understand it, and am capable of it, but i just wanted the "no brainer" approach to bc.

I'm sure more experienced NFP mamas will chime in with more helpful advice
Old 05-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Thank you. I will have to read that. As for the IUD I was considering it but it freaks me out a little.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

IUD.

One thing I have noticed about the TTA forum. A shockingly large amount of babies end up coming from it. Lol. Blessings, I'm sure. But it's not easy to do. Especially if you don't read every single sign. And I think your 'safe' very few days of the month, for my comfort.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

I was also just searching i phone apps the help you chart. Anyone use one of these that they love and is worth paying for or is free?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
gagenivy
Registered Users

I used to really like iPeriod but it didn't back up like it said it would and I lost everything. We are TTC, so at the other end of the spectrum but now I don't even know what CD I am on
gagenivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

So I am reading different things. So just to clarify, it's possible to get pregnant 3 days before ovulation the day you ovulate and 3 days after equaling 7 days? I read another thing that said 5 days before the day of and 1 day after. That doesn't seem right to me.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
Kirsie
Registered Users
Formerly: Kir***m
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
IUD.

One thing I have noticed about the TTA forum. A shockingly large amount of babies end up coming from it. Lol. Blessings, I'm sure. But it's not easy to do. Especially if you don't read every single sign. And I think your 'safe' very few days of the month, for my comfort.
Yup. I ended up preggers my first month using NFP. Clearly, I suck at it! Will be doing the IUD within the next few months.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie714 View Post
So I am reading different things. So just to clarify, it's possible to get pregnant 3 days before ovulation the day you ovulate and 3 days after equaling 7 days? I read another thing that said 5 days before the day of and 1 day after. That doesn't seem right to me.
I am no NFP expert by any means but yes - 7 days seems about right for the timing of fertility. BUT you must be able to pinpoint when you ovulate..... no general guesses - because being off by even a day can mean SURPRISE .... i was sort of NFP with my last. I had my period back for 2 cycles (DS2 was 9mo old at the time) so i was paying attention. according to my albeit not perfect charting i wasn't due to O until 5 days after i dtd with DH and surprise - baby boy #3 appeared 9 months later. So i O'd early that month (which is totally possible, cycles are wonky ime when ebf, which i was) or i miscalculated. In either case i knew NFP wasn't for me so i got an IUD at 8wk pp and have been happy as a clam ever since.

Hope you find a bc method that works for you.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd suggest getting your hands on a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility or finding a NFP class locally. We've found NFP to be very effective.