Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
jewel23n
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
VBAC considerations?

DD1 is only 7months, so this is me planning for the future. I ended up with an emergency c-section bc DD took too long to find the exit after my water broke. I want a big family so I don't want to plan on having more c-section unless medically necessary. For those who have had a vbac- what are the risks? What complications, if any did you have? I appreciate any feedback!!!

-Karen

Advertisement

jewel23n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Main risk is uterine rupture. It is small (less than 5% I think) unless you had a vertical incision or a true emergency where they ripped muscle. My doc did not want me going past 40 weeks for my VBAC. He also ended up breaking my water to insert an internal monitor. Basically he explained it to me there is more risk to baby from VBAC more risk to mama from C-section. However, after a 'crash section ' with my 1st, I had a successful VBAC with my second. Even with an epidural. And I plan and doing vaginal for future babies.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: VBAC considerations?

The major risk for VBAC is uterine rupture, and the increase in risk from what you had when laboring with your daughter vs future pregnancies is a fraction of a percent. There really are very few risks inherant to VBAC that aren't inherant to someone who's having a regular vaginal birth.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Main risk is uterine rupture. It is small (less than 5% I think) unless you had a vertical incision or a true emergency where they ripped muscle. My doc did not want me going past 40 weeks for my VBAC. He also ended up breaking my water to insert an internal monitor. Basically he explained it to me there is more risk to baby from VBAC more risk to mama from C-section. However, after a 'crash section ' with my 1st, I had a successful VBAC with my second. Even with an epidural. And I plan and doing vaginal for future babies.
Less than 1% actually. 1 in 1,800ish for a full rupture, and 1 in 247ish for uterine dishonence (stretching of scar). That is the ONLY added risk between VBAC and a regular vaginal birth, and you will feel it prior to labor as a constant pain rather than contractions, so it really isn't a concern. If it happens during labor, then there was probably an induction method used.

I'm a little confused why your doc said baby has added risk in VBAC? There are risks to the baby in a cesarean, too. There's not really any danger in going to 42 weeks with a VBAC, either.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

I would strongly suggest you contact the nearest ICAN chapter near you! Super informed, very helpful, supportive and super VBAC cheerleaders!

The risk of uterine rupture is very low, less than 1% if you have only had 1 cesarean. VBAC is a very real and safe option for you, definitely.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamommy
I would strongly suggest you contact the nearest ICAN chapter near you! Super informed, very helpful, supportive and super VBAC cheerleaders!

The risk of uterine rupture is very low, less than 1% if you have only had 1 cesarean. VBAC is a very real and safe option for you, definitely.
An informed support group is a good idea. I do try to also remember though that statistics apply generally, not specifically. Just as vaginal is generally safer than c section, there are still specific cases in which it is safer and necessary. If your doctor is supportive then have a frank conversation about your situation and how things specific to you may affect the risks. But generally it is better and safer! Good luck!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

I had my 7lb, 13oz VBAC baby at one day shy of 42-weeks. I narrowly escaped a scheduled c-section by less than 24-hrs! I wouldn't let them schedule one before 42-weeks, and I agreed to NSTs at 41-weeks to make sure placenta, baby, etc were still going strong.

Last edited by mommypockets; 01-08-2012 at 09:41 PM.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Oh yeah. And buried amongst the bazillion risks I had to initial was a simple "I understand that the risks associated with VBAC are lower than the risks associated with repeat Caesarian.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #9
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommypockets View Post
Oh yeah. And buried amongst the bazillion risks I had to initial was a simple "I understand that the risks associated with VBAC are lower than the risks associated with repeat Caesarian.

it STILL IS SAFER to have a VBAC than another c-section. like everyone's said, uterine rupture is the biggest concern. my mw's also wanted me to eat very healthy so the baby would be smaller coming out of the pelvis (which will help the VBAC), but we never really talked about the risks of going longer than 42 weeks, not that i remember anyway.

newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

In hospital, you will have continuous fetal monitoring. They do this bc *if* there is uterine rupture, per the OB, "the baby's heart rate going south unexpectedly is usually our first sign."