Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

I personally hate nursing in public. I try very hard to plan shopping and outings around feedings. I.will nip if the baby is hungry but it isnt comfortable.for me. This is my fifth baby and i have never been comfortable.

I think just being open for any conversation she might bring your way and be supportive if nursing isn't working for her also.

Advertisement

ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
Aingeru
Registered Users

Re: Feeling like a friend is going to be unsuccessful

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy View Post
It sounds to me like she just prefers nursing be private. I wouldn't think those were reasons that she would quit, just that she's a private person when it comes to nursing. I probably could have said/done all of those things, and I have nursed both of my girls to 14 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspnut82 View Post
Is this her first? It just sounds like she isn't established with nursing yet and likes to do it in private.
With my first I would go upstairs to nurse and it sucked when there was company because it seemed like it took forever and everyone would be downstairs hanging out waiting. Now I just nurse wherever but back then I was not comfortable enough to do it in front of anyone. Maybe once she gets more comfortable she'll be ok. You could just keep your visits with her short for now. Does she have a nursing cover? If not maybe get one for her.
I agree with both posts, this was me, too, and I nursed DS for 11 months.

I don't think there's much you can say without coming across as pushy. But if she's having difficulties, you coud encourage her to open up by saying something like "how's BF going? The first month was so hard for me and thinking of Nursing outside of the house wasso stressful" or something to that effect that will make her feel understood and not judged.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was very scared to nurse in front of people including nurses in the hospital after having DD1. It took a long time before I would nurse in front of people I knew let alone out in public. But I think it's taking it to the extreme by saying they will just wait til they get home after it being that long. Hopefully she was just saying that and nursed in the car before they left which is what I would have done. Anyway, my SIL is very much like this and is still nursing her DS2 at 16 months old. So she is making it hard on herself maybe but hopefully it doesn't mean she will fail.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
Ericagreen2116
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy
It sounds to me like she just prefers nursing be private. I wouldn't think those were reasons that she would quit, just that she's a private person when it comes to nursing. I probably could have said/done all of those things, and I have nursed both of my girls to 14 months.
This. I thought that right away after reading the post. I'm this way. Unless its someone im completely comfortable with, I won't nurse in front of them and I always feel it's an imposition asking to use someone else's room.
With that being said, my son when he was a newborn could go 4 hours without nursing (he use to sleep so nicely) :0) and he would chow down like 9oz a feeding.
I'm sure she's fine. If your friend needs encouragement she may hint at it but from what you have wrote it doesnt seem like she has given up at all.
Ericagreen2116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Does the baby seem a good weight? Healthy? Gaining? If so then her nursing when she feels comfy is prob all fine. She sounds like she doesnt like nip and i didnt with dd and ended up quiting(long story). It hard enough being a first time mom without the pressure of NIP
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would buy her a cover (or make one if you sew). She might be uncomfortable about exposing herself and a blanket is hard to do at the beginning with your hands full of a newborn.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote