Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Q for those who have used (or want) a doula

Does the certifying organization your doula used play a role in your decision?

I'm looking for doula programs and am choosing between one that leads to DONA certification and one that's with CBI which offers it's own certification. DONA seems to be more well known, but the content from the cbi course looks identical.

I'm primarily looking to offer childbirth education classes, and then offer doula support to my students on an "as-needed" basis rather than have doula work be my primary role.

Just curious what moms are looking for!

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Q for those who have used (or want) a doula

Well when I was "doula shopping" I just assumed go for the DONA certified. But after being very disappointed with who we chose after the birth...since it was a hossy birth...and making it clear to her specific things i didn't want done, and to help those be followed through with, but she didn't even speak a word...found out from a nonDONA doula that because of her certification, she can't actually speak to the nurses/doctors. It all has to be indirect(speak to the hubby/me)

That's hearsay, so maybe a doula will speak up. But i really wish I would've known...bcz TBH, my doula was a waste of $800
Old 08-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I know that DONA (and all doula certification programs) shares a philosophy that it is the mom (and partners) job to communicate and "stick up for" her birth plan. I personally would agree with that EXCEPT in situations where mom is unable to speak for herself bc she is tired/resting/confused. I don't think it's the doula's job to "speak for" mom, but to help her articulate her desires, support her in achieving her goals, and helping collaborate with the other members of the birth team so mom is supported and understands everything that is happening.

I'm sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience! If you don't mind pm'ing me I'd love to hear more about your existence and learn from it. :-)

And btw... $800 DOLLARS!?!? That's an obscene amount of money IMO. I know in some markets that's the going rate, but I can't stomach taking that much money when your sole purpose is to offer support and serve a mom. Doula's can't guarantee any outcome with their work or presence, which I would expect for that much money! Gah!!

((hugs))
Old 08-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Also, I know DONA doulas can communicate with staff to remind them of your wishes. They just can't step in between and "play mama bear" or run interference in your place when you are able to do so.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
They aren't supposed to advocate for you. But, ime, my first doula had no issue asking ex and me if we needed more time to think about decisions, if we needed a minute alone to decide, etc and would speak up for that since I was unsure of whether or not I would be able to voice those concerns on my own in labor. But she did not give medical advice, or make decisions/give the hospital decisions for me. If that makes sense.

To the OP - Certification wasn't a big factor for me. Experience and how well I clicked with my doula played MUCH bigger roles. She was certified, but I didn't really care if it was through DONA, or any others. She went through everything she had done to become certified with me, and that breakdown made it much easier for me to understand her training and education.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh
They aren't supposed to advocate for you. But, ime, my first doula had no issue asking ex and me if we needed more time to think about decisions, if we needed a minute alone to decide, etc and would speak up for that since I was unsure of whether or not I would be able to voice those concerns on my own in labor. But she did not give medical advice, or make decisions/give the hospital decisions for me. If that makes sense.

To the OP - Certification wasn't a big factor for me. Experience and how well I clicked with my doula played MUCH bigger roles. She was certified, but I didn't really care if it was through DONA, or any others. She went through everything she had done to become certified with me, and that breakdown made it much easier for me to understand her training and education.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Bump - looking for more input!
Old 08-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
eileprose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My doulas were DONA certified. The way my doulas worked was that you book them as a company and then whichever one was on call the day of your delivery was your doula. They also offered a range of services including birth classes. I loved taking their classes because I really got to know both of them and we both understood each other's birth philosophies really well. I know that over the course of the birth class that I was in several other couples upgraded from just the birth class to the doula service as well.
eileprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

That was the model I had in mind for running my doula business! I think it really gives people a chance to see if you "click" and gives you a sort of "shared vocabulary" when discussing your needs as a birthing mom. :-)

Would you mind sharing (you can pm if you want) what you paid for those services? I'm curious what rates experienced doulas are offering. My plan is to provide services for free for the first year (or while I work toward certification) to gain experience and build my reputation in the birthing community.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope. Most of my Doula friends are not certified because no one really cares here. I'm a former Doula and I was not certified. I still do other birth work though and will go back to being a Doula when my kids are older.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote