View Poll Results: Did your un-medicated birth change your life?
Yes, I feel like I can do anything now 68 75.56%
No, I don't feel better nor worse 17 18.89%
Other 5 5.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
Did an un-medicated birth make you feel empowered?

I read a post on here where the mama said she felt so empowered, beautiful and strong after having an un-medicated birth. She said it changed her life and made her a more confident woman.

I'm just wondering if others felt the same way.

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did an un-medicated birth make you feel empowered?

Nope. I was left traumatized, and I will never do it again.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Chamomile Girl
Registered Users
seller

OK, I voted no, but probably should have been other. Because my "unmedicated" birth ended up in a section (which is of course, medicated). So obviously by the end of my thirty pre-section unmedicated hours I certainly didn't feel like I could do anything.

So I think the question in skewed. Nobody who has had a C-Section can truly claim to have had an un-medicated birth and they are the ones who more likely had something go wrong.
Chamomile Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I voted yes. After going through 24 long hours of labor, and having to dig deep within myself to keep going (even when I thought I had no more to give), I have a new understanding of what I am capable of. I feel so much more confident in myself, not just generally, but as a woman, and feel empowered :-)
Old 08-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Was it me? Lol!

Yes!!!!! It did. Life changing. My whole self confidence was boosted. Not cause I did something 'Jane' didn't do. But because I did something I thought 'I' couldn't do.

There is no medal. There are actually very few pays of the backs. It's something that's fulfilling inside your person.

I also believe my miscarriage changed me. Forever. Empowering? Not in the same sense. But yet, again... I did something. Alone. Never asked for a quick process. Wanted my body to trust me and for me to trust it.

So I don't think you have to have natural birth to gain empowerment. But those were two of the scariest moments of my life and I got thru. By just trusting myself.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had a home birth and thought I would feel like Super Woman. While the experience was amazing and I'm glad I did it that way, I also never thought it would be so painful and long. I was in labor 54 hours total. I will have another home birth next time but it will be awhile because I still remember how painful contractions are!
Old 08-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Was it me? Lol!

Yes!!!!! It did. Life changing. My whole self confidence was boosted. Not cause I did something 'Jane' didn't do. But because I did something I thought 'I' couldn't do.

There is no medal. There are actually very few pays of the backs. It's something that's fulfilling inside your person.

I also believe my miscarriage changed me. Forever. Empowering? Not in the same sense. But yet, again... I did something. Alone. Never asked for a quick process. Wanted my body to trust me and for me to trust it.

So I don't think you have to have natural birth to gain empowerment. But those were two of the scariest moments of my life and I got thru. By just trusting myself.

I agree. I suffered from infertility for years so when I finally got pregnant and had a healthy pregnancy and birth, I was so proud of my body. For years I felt like my body failed me, and it finally pulled through for me. That was empowering.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
AtLeast
Registered
Formerly: rli***t
seller
seller

I'm on my phone, so I'll have to come back for the poll. Yes, a million times yes. Shout it from the rooftops YES!!!!! I've had one hossy birth, one birth center birth and three home births. So that's four completely unmedicated births. The have been life changing. They have empowered me.

With that being said, I think there is a real difference between going into birth with the intent of going unmedicated and having things happen where it wasn't what you were expecting. Like choosing a home birth, you have the intent of a natural birth. As opposed to going into labor, intending to get meds or an epi, finding out it's too late and having a natural birth. I think it can be traumatic when your brain was not prepared to go where your body is going.

I <3 home birth. It's awesome *for me*. When I find out I'm pg, it's one of the first things I'm excited about, getting to have another beautiful, empowering home birth.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuphoricDysphoria
I read a post on here where the mama said she felt so empowered, beautiful and strong after having an un-medicated birth. She said it changed her life and made her a more confident woman.

I'm just wondering if others felt the same way.
Yes yes yes!!! I had a hard time believing it was possible after having a horrifying experience with my first (ended up medicated, which was not my plan), but three weeks ago I had an amazing, natural birth, and I am still on a birth high from it lol.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I went into my births wanting to avoid the epi but not completely writing it off either. Both times I did it without.

With my first I had a shot of nubane...but would NEVER want to repeat that. Although it took the edge off...it made me feel drunk and dizzy and I was almost out of it during ds's birth. I was glad I avoided the epi though.

With my second I was completely unmedicated. I did ask for something right about the time I hit transition but there was no time. I felt every. little. thing. Looking back it was a cool experience...but at the time I was in a LOT of pain.

I didn't feel "empowered" so much as I was proud of myself for making it through without the epi both times.

****I want to add that the reason I don't want the epi is that I tend to have a reaction to numbing meds. When I have dental work my numbed skin itches like CRAZY...and although I realize the epi is different...just the thought of more than 50% of my body POSSIBLY itching like that is enough to make me endure almost anything*******

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote