Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #21
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tell me about delayed cord cutting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaratliff View Post
My favorite "benefit" of delayed clamping was that the umbilical stump fell off on the 3'rd day! Silly I know, but all my other kids held on for 2+ weeks, and it gets very annoying.
Hey, my baby's did too. And we delayed. I thought it was because of the diaper rubbing it. But it was all nice and healed up for her newborn photos at 11 days.

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #22
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaratliff
My favorite "benefit" of delayed clamping was that the umbilical stump fell off on the 3'rd day! Silly I know, but all my other kids held on for 2+ weeks, and it gets very annoying.
We didn't delay and dds fell off at day 4.

Ds stump took two weeks and yes was very annoying

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:17 AM   #23
navyswag
Registered
seller
seller

I must be unique...my midwife waits until the cord stops pulsating to clamp and it took 15 minutes for me! (Placenta came a few minutes after that.) I didn't know this was unusual and was pretty out of it just laying there with him on my chest. Since my DS was early and had a little trauma (cord wrapped for a few seconds), I just figure my body knew what he needed. I'm a believer! Haha. And he is super healthy and strong.
navyswag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #24
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

With DD the hospital clamped and cut right away (against my wishes) because they were concerned about her, which turned out to be nothing.

With DS my midwife actually clamped and cut just a few minutes after birth. The cord had stopped pulsing already. It was short, and I was having trouble holding DS above the water (waterbirth), so she went ahead and cut it. I birthed the placenta soon after.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #25
pretty girl
Registered Users

I didn't have a choice. My hospital did the delayed clamping anyways
pretty girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #26
Pompomclothies
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6737 View Post
In order to really get the benefits of delayed cord clamping, you need the baby to be held BELOW the level of the introitus. So, provider delivers the baby. The baby goes on provider's lap. The baby stays on providers lap for 3-5 minutes or until the cord stops pulsating (it only takes minutes for it to stop- like less than 5 most of the time). This allows the most blood to go to baby. Then the cord is clamped and cut and only then is the baby put on mom's chest.

That said, I've only done that 1 time. Most of the time, I've put the baby on mom's chest (even though this is NOT the best way to do delayed clamping as it delivers LESS blood). We wait 3-5 minutes then we clamp and cut. The benefits of delayed cord clamping are more RBC's. It doesn't continue to deliver oxygen for 5, 10, 15 or 20 minutes after the birth. At this time, the placenta has already detached and is probably sitting at the introitus ready to be delivered. They have not found any differences in oxygen saturations in babies who had delayed clamping and babies who have had immediate clamping, so continued oxygen is NOT a benefit of delayed clamping. Nor have they found statistically significant differences in blood gases, so again, continued oxygen is NOT a benefit of delayed clamping. It's merely about the increased blood volume, and the reason you might want the increased blood volume is because of the increased RBC's. I would look at the academicobgyn.com article that was posted just to learn about the possible benefits. They are small, not dramatic. But it does seem more physiologic, if you value that sort of thing.
Thank you for good, sound advice based on science. Hard for many to know what to do if you just hear it through the grape vine.

A point that some women may may need to consider- waiting can increase the Mother's chances of having a post partum hemorage. So if that has happened to you already once, it is more likely to happen again. Better to clamp the cord early and keep both you and baby healthy.
Pompomclothies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #27
an_aurora
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompomclothies View Post
Thank you for good, sound advice based on science. Hard for many to know what to do if you just hear it through the grape vine.

A point that some women may may need to consider- waiting can increase the Mother's chances of having a post partum hemorage. So if that has happened to you already once, it is more likely to happen again. Better to clamp the cord early and keep both you and baby healthy.
Do you have a source? I've never read that in any of the studies I found, but granted it was a year ago that I researched it.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #28
DGFamily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did it, too. It was the one thing I remember after she was born at home to remind my midwife of in the moment. We were overcome with emotions that we forgot to ask to delay it but she already knew. We felt it was just moments but it'd actually only been about 5-6 minutes. There wasn't a rush. We wanted to make sure she got all her stem cells instead of paying to save them. And all the other reasons.
DGFamily is offline   Reply With Quote