Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ultrasounds?!?

I've had a lot with my last 2 babies, so far they aren't glowing...

Advertisement

trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

I don't know... I have had 3 so far with this pregnancy, which is one more than my OB would have liked, and one LESS than what I would have liked LOL. I really wish I could have one more because I'm terrified that my baby is not in the right position right now, and I have no clue at all what size she is! But my OB doesn't allow any extra ultrasounds as she thinks the mild risk is still too much.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
I had about 70 with my last pregnancy. :/ Two a week until 28 weeks, 3 a week after that. With a few extra thrown in. I'm not saying they are perfectly safe, but sometimes they are the safest route if there are possible complications.
This, exactly.

I had one monthly from 3 months until birth with each of my pregnancies due to type 1 diabetes.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

I have a uterine malformation so my uterus can prohibit growth. Toward the end of pregnancy they do weekly u/s. I'm 19 weeks so far and have only had one, I'll have one next week, then two monthly then the weekly ones. In my case they are needed but if they werent I'd avoid them completely.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
bluemoonbutterfly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a ultrasound at 19 weeks. It was nice to see the baby and to see that everything looked normal(finding out we where having a boy was a bonus). I have had no complications this pregnancy so there was really no need for any more.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
sunyflwr
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&A'smommy
I have a uterine malformation so my uterus can prohibit growth. Toward the end of pregnancy they do weekly u/s. I'm 19 weeks so far and have only had one, I'll have one next week, then two monthly then the weekly ones. In my case they are needed but if they werent I'd avoid them completely.
I'm in the same boat as this mama, uterine malformation. So I am a high risk pregnancy and get loads of them to monitor my cervix and check for IUGR. They are done by my peri himself and not a tech, so he is ultra fast. He can do a typical 20 week level two scan in less than 10 min. But nonetheless, I still have a ton. And like a PP said, my kids aren't glowing...yet. LOL.

As everything in life, there are risks vs benefits. My risk vs benefit analysis would be as few u/s as medically necessary and I draw the line at those "for fun" or keepsake u/s. I don't see the need or the point. But that is just me. To each their own.
sunyflwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had 5 ultrasounds with DS1.. my OB just wanted to make sure he was safe and ok since my first pregnancy ended with a miscarriage.

I had 3 ultrasounds with DS2, 2 ultrasounds with DS3, and have had 2 ultrasounds with this little girl.

ROUTINE ultrasounds are 2-3 in a pregnancy. More if you have complications.

I have no reason to believe that they are unsafe, and if I were to have complications that needed monitoring, I'd certainly agree to the extra ultrasounds to ensure my baby is safe.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #18
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Due to lack of definite proof either way, and knowing the statistics of issue U/S techs receive from the exposure, I have only what I feel is necessary; not just for the heck of it.

Generally 2 barring issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #19
mom2corag
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had 3 with my dd (dating, 20 week anatomy, and 32 week growth), and we were surprised when she was born after I started to show signs of possible pre-e that she was IUGR. With my son, I had 6(all the standard plus 36 week and 38 week growth checks when he also started to show IUGR, and then one with the peri from which I was sent to the hospital to deliver. For future babies, I'll be on the weekly schedule with the peri to check on growth and bloodflow to the uterus. I wouldn't want to have that many for a non-medical reason, but for me, the risk is much higher to not have the extra scans.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #20
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't really think they are safe. Sadly I have to have them constantly due to having a transplanted kidney. All the interventions are one of the reasons we are done having children. I've never read up on u/s though.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote